42 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 2:29 PM by batmanCOD RSS

Gaming Keyboard...

Anyone want to testify to the benefits of a good gaming keyboard? Do they reall make a difference?

• Re: Gaming Keyboard...

I have one of the old Zboard gaming keyboards and I'd say it definitely makes a difference.  The keys are much better laid out and easy to find for playing games.

wierd worlds are these

What I do is find a shop with the keyboard I am thinking about buying and go there to look at it, I then place my hand in the location that I would have it if I was using it.

If it feel's fine and has the right amount of buttons then I buy it, but I will also look at cheaper ones as well and ones that are more expensive.

I found that I was looking at a keyboard that was £50, one that was £100, and one that was only £8.

After looking at the 3 of them and putting my hand where it would be if I was playing a game and actually pressing the button's, I went for the £8 one because it felt the best for the usuage I had in mind for it, although the build quality was low.

Gaming keyboard's do make a difference but only when they feel better to you than one that is not a gaming keyboard, and it's the same with mice.

I used a wireless mouse that all the reviews for it said it was terrible for gaming, but I found it to be the best mouse I had used until I got my old Coolermaster Sentinal and my current MS Sidewinder.

The best thing to do is look and feel what the keyboard's and mice are like, and then see if you can buy it and take it back if it doesn't feel right or see if you can try it in the shop.

I know where I buy my hardware etc from they have a few pc's setup with games installed on them so that you can try different setup's.

Any decent place will allow you to test them 1st before you buy them.

Well that's good advice... I'm using a $10 keyboard and have been using it for over 2 years. I'd have to drive 200 miles to try one. I have an odd keyboard setup and do require certain things. I think it's about time to upgrade:) In the past I have felt PS2 was better than USB. Any thinghts on that?

Supposedly, some of the higher end gaming keyboards (Ie: Logitech G15 v2, etc) have circuitry to prevent what's called "phantom key presses" - which is essentially when you press (lets say) 3 keys, but because the way  the signals travel along the circuit board, it registers a 4th (due to the X & Y intersecting).

Newer keyboards usually have isolation circuits to prevent that, but it can still happen.

Another thing is that gaming keyboards are specifically designed to allow a higher maximum number of keys to be pressed simultaneously.

A cheap 20 keyboard from radio shack might only register 2-3 keys at once.

A high end keyboard (Logitech G15, Saitek, etc) might be designed to register 4-5 key presses at once.

Personally though? I haven't noticed a huge difference.

Re: PS2 vs USB:

I haven't noticed a performance difference, to be honest. I have ran into some compatibility problems - despite the fact that USB 2.0 is supposed to be  backwards compatible with USB 1.1, that's not always the case.

Plus, there's always a risk of a USB port going bad, or an intermittent connection (again, attributed to a bad, or on its way out USB port). I've encountered a few scenarios where a USB port that's on it's way out caused erratic system behavior - sometimes my system freezes, sometimes XP registers the USB plug being unplugged/plugged (that little alert window in the right hand corner) etc.

Then again, the same can happen with a PS2 port as well. But, most feature packed keyboards are USB. So it's a tradeoff.

@Wierd: +1 on the MS Sidewinder mouse. I have pretty big hands, so the hefty bulk of it fills my palms nicely. Plus, it's got the slide out tray for weights/glide resistance & what not. Plus all the extra buttons allow me to bind various equipment to them (killstreaks 1 & 2 are assigned to the silver buttons on the side for me)

I will have to go to the keyboard store, nooo doubt. I appreciate the comments and advice.

matuzz

Out of curiosity how you guys hold your keyboard?

I have noticed that I always keep it kinda sideways so that wasd buttons are in the bottom corner and number buttons (on the left side of keyboard) are in the upper corner.

If you guys get what I'm saying lol

I get it, and I do tilt my KB a little. I like to keep my wrist straight... but I use a whole different KB setup.

Yeah. I tilt my keyboard about 10-15 degrees - left side downwards.

I actually use ESDF for my movement keys. I like it better than WASD because my pinky rests more natually on the shift key, instead of being crowded by my other fingers (I have skinny long fingers). PLUS... it gives me more keys that I can access nearby my movement keys that I can bind to specific things like switching weapons and such.

guys this keyboard ROX.http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-gaming/vengeance-gaming-keyboards/vengeance-k60 -performance-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html It's sooo smooth and precise. I've never had a gaming keyboard. I wish I had. It has the premo keys and I see why there are the best now. Amazing, I just want to kill something . It's low and the keys respond with 2mm of movement.

I finally got around to checking to see just how many keys at once my old keyboard would detect. I was surprised to see it would only do 3. I shoot with my keyboard so I probably use more than most folks. I always had times when my game would not respond to what I was telling it, and I thought it was just the computer... NOOOOT!

To test, you can open notepad and press 3,4,5,6 keys at once and see what you are getting. I could only get 3 and when I pressed 4, nothing happened. That is Ghosting. Most any gaming keyboard will do 6 or more at once, especially in the area most folks game. Great investment.

I can go 50-0 + regularly. and I dont hack. Keyboards really do not make a difference as I have not owned anything spectacular like a mechanical board, though I do have the new Cooler Master Storm Quickfire mechanical board on the way with MX Brown switches.

What really matters is your mouse first, and monitor second.

I use a Deathadder, and will upgrade to the Corsair M60 soon.

and my monitor is a u2412m IPS 1200p monitor. I can see people when they cant see me over long distances, through brush, and smoke, because of how accurate the colors are on an IPS monitor.

That looks like a sweet monitor, but I do have one question for you since you own it. The specs state a 8ms Gray-to-Gray response time. Do you notice ANY ghosting at all? I mean even a little bit?

I didn't think a keyboard made a difference either, and that's why I've been using such an old outdated one... but I was dead wrong. This is making a bigger difference than anything else I have done. Before this, a great mouse was the biggest game changer. But a fast G2G monitor also makes a difference. More so if you play fast, objective based games. If you're creaping around sniping I don't think it would matter... you could play on an IPhone:) @ 8ms, I assure you, there is bad ghosting.

t1nman

I like my Logitech G15 (now G510) because of the LCD screen so that I can see and control all my Teamspeak info. There are also a ton of extra applets developped for the LCD screen, and it also lets you create macros (I haven't used this function in COD at all).

It also has USB 2.0 ports.

I basically bought it for the LCD feature, and there are probably better keyboards out there if you don't plan on using it....

Now that is interesting. It would serve as the second monitor, in a way.... hmmm

BTW, refurbished @ NewEgg.com for $84.99 right now:)

I used to have the G15. Also, never used the macros either... just too far out of normal reach for an FPS for it to be of any benefit to me. However, I really did like the LCD screen.

Honestly though, I would be interested in purchasing just the LCD screen portion of the G15 with the ability to make use of all the G15 applets that are available. Maybe make it mountable and adjustable so I could place it under my main monitor. Yeah, I'd go for that personally.

Great idea. I emailed Corsair and suggested a couple of 1/8" jacks for foot switches, that you could assign to any key

poison_pawn

That's a dammed good idea: never crossed my mind, but as a musician, I can see it quite plainly now.  could be a bank of 3-4 switches of course unless the game actualy had more control then a consloe, who would need them...lol

You're wish is granted: http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-World-of-Warcraft/M/B003BQKC UI.htm

I own that. Yeah, it says "World of Warcraft" on it, but you can assign any key to it. I use it for voice chat, but it can be used for anything really - long as the keystroke you assigned to it is usable/assignable in the game you are playing. Not 100% possitive, but I am pretty sure you could hook up 2 of these and use them for different things.

Yes, you can hook up any number of USB devices. I hard wired mine to specific keys. When I play, I am as confortable as possible, with my feet elevated. So I made a foot rest with 2 6"x6" pads, one for each foot. I used doorbells for the switched, but they aren't the best. Also, I built it on a large deep Rubbermaid heavy plastic container, and filled that with 60 lbs of sand, so when I'm excited and press the switch, it doesn't move ...geeks... what'll they think of next:)

Well, I wasn't speaking of the amount of USB devices so much as I was referring more to the driver being able to differentiate between the 2 foot petals.

I see what you mean. So it has a setup program? How do you assign the [Key] to it? I have seen things like this. Some of them would be a USB controller with a 1/8" jack. I don't know... that's why I just bought a $10 keyboard and used the controller. In fact I hard wired it to use the [Backspace] key, not knowing that must be the only key on the keyboard that the game won't recognize. So instead of rewiring the controller, which was a tedious task, I just remapped the [Caps Lock] to the [Backspace] key ...yeah it's rigged, but it works. I'll fix it when I add the second switch. It occured to me to use those for Look Left and Right, and scrafe left and right, etc. But I will have to have a more reliable switch than a door bell

Yeah, it uses a software setup similar to what Logitech uses for their mice. Real simple too, open the software, assign a key, close it - done. After that you don't even need the software or the driver since it just uses a standard HID driver similar to a keyboard and the key assignment seems to be saved on the pedal itself since I plug it into another computer and press it and the keystroke I assigned starts printing in a blank text file.

Since that is the case, looks like you could use as many of these as you want and assign different keys to each and they would all work fine.

Janedel

I use to play with the zboard keyboard which I used for gaming.  When I wore it out I found that the Logitech G510 was a real good keyboard also.  It has the G1 -G18 keys so you could assign any movement to these keys. You could also plug in your headset to the keyboard itself.  But as for this keyboard I have not had any problems with it.  It also has updates and it is different because it reads all your games you have installed on your computer. If compatible it will show you.  Go research it for yourself.  Good luck!

Yeah, and that's why I really would like to have just the screen from teh G15. I remember COD4 supported it and the HUD showed on the screen. The cool thing was (hehe) I could play hardcore and the G15 screen would show me my bullet counts, remaining ammo, grenades and special grenades.

Well slap me silly... now that IS handy, because I forget what class and equipment I'm using and have used in HC. It would be fun to be in the business and come up with all this cool crazy stuff

I know you guys are talking about getting an entirely new keyboard, but perhaps switching buttons around will do the trick. Google "Sharpkeys," it comes in handy.