39 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 8:05 PM by smokesdope RSS

Snipers

That5What5Up

From thefreedictionary.com:

Sniper:

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.

2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Wikipedia:

A sniper is a marksman who shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel. Snipers typically have specialized training and distinct high-precision rifles.

SRs:

In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a precision-rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than othersmall arms.

whats this tell you when IW purposefully facilitates QSing in their war game, where shotgun pellets disappear after a short distance but QSers can aim large sniper rifles at point blank?

• Re: Snipers

understand what you mean with this close range sniper rifles PIONTLESS

That they didn't read the dictionary?

Yeah, make snipers realistic. Then apply realism to everything else and not just something you don't like.

No perks, killstreaks, regenerating health, having more than 1 life, reloading before the magazine is empty yet you keep the ammo, ect.

That5What5Up

Your problem is that youre "all or nothing" on this, as IVE ALREADY TOLD YOU BEFORE.

You HAVE to compromise.  Willing suspension of disbelief is necessary to make games playable, and even for works of fiction to be enjoyed.  However, there IS a limit for me at least.  You have to respawn in the game, obviously, but respawning right NEXT to an enemy is downright ridiculous, for example.

UAVs are believable, but youre not going to have guys jump 20 feet in the air and call it a modern warfare game.  The whole point blank thing with a weapon designed SOLELY for mid-long distance combat, which has NEVER even come into the minds of any real life sniper with half a brain, breaks my suspenson of disbelief.  You like QSing, obviously, but how would you feel if all shotties became one hit kills at any range and could zoom in at SR ranges bc IW pandered to a certain group of 12 year olds?

You HAVE to compromise.  Willing suspension of disbelief is necessary to make games playable, and even for works of fiction to be enjoyed.

Snipers in this game hardly make it unplayable. Last time I checked some people enjoy quick scoping.

And don't try to associate an age to what someone does with a weapon, that's just ad hominem and completely baseless.

That5What5Up

Nothing in this game makes it unplayable, the thing still turns on when I press the button, no ****.  Theres no point for me when its not even fun to watch deaths that were undeserved and unavoidable.  And thats not even my point, I never said QS makes mw3 unplayable.  I said a psychological element was necessary for playability, how the hell did you even make THAT connection?

Notice I never said anyone of a certain age quickscopes.  You just assumed I did because of a counterexample, and that had to do with shotguns and was completely hypothetical. 

BUT.

It seems your willing suspension of disbelief was in fact shaken when I mentioned "12 yr old".  Whats that tell you about the sheer ridiculousness of people going around, people who'd rather ADS fast to QS kill while NOT pulling out their secondaries?

If you, with a SR, get caught so fast you dont have time to pull fmgs or pistols, then you deserve that death for not positioning yourself properly and not being aware enough of people coming for you.

and I blame IW for putting in these maps, which are so SO bad, that they force people like you to go around doing that instead of acting like a normal sniper.  I dont like BF, but at least their snipers play like real ones, and a huge part of that is because of the bigger, more open maps.  For this topic I fault IW.

When you say "Willing suspension of disbelief is necessary to make games playable" when talking about snipers gives off the vibe that your saying it makes it unplayable.

"people who'd rather ADS fast"

So now you have a problem with people aiming...

"bc IW pandered to a certain group of 12 year olds"

Ad hominem and associating age with what someone does with a weapon.

"people who'd rather ADS fast to QS kill while NOT pulling out their secondaries?"

I'd rather scope up and get the quick kill than pull out my secondary and chase them. Secondarys don't have that great of a range, I can quick scope well out side of that range.

"If you, with a SR, get caught so fast you dont have time to pull fmgs or pistols"

With the spawns in this game that's nearly impossible

That5What5Up

Well then you can blame the game, no?  Not like BF's the only game with good enough spawns and sniping spots, BO and even mw2 were great for hardscoping.

You might as well take snipers completely out of the game then because the maps aren't big enough to snipe someone at a distance that "real" snipers do.  And even if the maps were big enough everyone would ***** about how the snipers kill them from a place they can't be reached. QSing is a tactic of the game, just like camping.  You may not like it, but it will always be there.

Im so tired of reading all these posts by 13 yr  old about "how lame qs is"

First off, your right sniping in cod is not realistic oh yea thats b/c its a video game not a simulator, in real life a military sniper and his spotter will be droped off in the middle of no where, where he will spend days crawling on his belly to get into position to take 1 shot and to get 1 kill.   Now how  would that be fun in cod, first off your not going to get a "stealth" kill b/c of a little thing called kill cams, second the maps are not designed for a 2 mile shot from the middle of no where,  without qs snipers are usless

And to those who say qs takes no skill,, if qs takes no skill what does?  I guess thats why  the ppl over at optic have made a carreer out of qs, but i guess thats b/c it takes no skill and everyone can do it.....

That5What5Up

Sure, call ME 13 years old.  Give me a reason why.

That aside, I have never said QS takes no skill.  I said it is BS, which are two completely different things.  Random deranks, for instance, take no skill but are BS. 

Show me where I said it takes NO skill.

Also, there is absolutely no reason why they couldnt have designed this game better.  They could literally have used ALL the mw2 maps and spawns, and QS would be cut in half, to very acceptable levels.  Poor design causes snipers to play in CQC far more often than they should, so youll get far more QSing. 

Finally;  without QS, snipers are useless?  Perhaps in this game, but I get nukes with mw2's barretts and 20-kd games with psg1 in BO.  And I'm guessing i'm not the only one.

mralpharogue

Every time I see one of these topics I laugh because of how hypocritical and childish the posts always are.

Thanks for the laugh, kid.

P.s. What is your GT? I really want to play a match against you so I can make you hate QSers even more.

That5What5Up

I hope you have BO, because I'm not playing mw3 anymore.  Not dealing with that host disadvantage, or is that also my fault for not liking it?

Also, PLEASE PLEASE friend me, same GT as username here.  I hope you're good at dealing with campers.

COD devs don't want a realistic shooter.

They want an arcade shooter that can appeal to a large amount of people.

Don't hurt yourself trying to make threads now.

That5What5Up

first two sentences I agree with, except for the fact that the whole QS thing wasnt in BO or WaW and its not like they didnt make money lulz

However, typing some keys doesnt "hurt" me.  It's much too fun to make threads and see you guys try to defend this game.

I defend good business practices.

That5What5Up

haha I do like your sense of humor

So, in your opinion, does IW have good business practices?

From a purely numbers standpoint, they know how to make a huge profit with very little effort. Sure they recycled the engine, textures, models, etc, but they were able to churn out a game that made a billion dollars in what, 16 days?

I'd love a cut of that.

That5What5Up

Yeah, but considering

1.  They dont take refunds

2.  They dont provide public beta/demos

3.  They arent completely being truthful in the promotion (last stand/awesome dialog, anyone?)

4.  They make elite auto-renew (you have to manually turn it off)

5.  They dont provide certain services that cost money but make gameplay better (hiring more support, dedi-servers, etc)

By all means, I'm not saying they're not good at raking in dough.  They just do it in a way that pisses off a lot of people.  But what do they care right

Cool story bro, now go play Battlefield. You're playing the wrong game if you want realism.

That5What5Up

I dont want BF, I want good ass sniping.  And its not like it hasnt been done before.  Theres a reason I play BO now.  Just now 23-3 with psg1 and I really dont see why you even need QSing to do well or hold off enemies.  Probably just the better maps, like I SAID.

Rednecksniper39

for the record in battlefield is the truly good snipers. Not being a fanboy but you have to lead and aim up....and pretty much get a headshot for a one shot kill

That5What5Up

I'm sure youd HAVE to be good to score kills like that.

I'm still wondering what they were thinking giving barretts 98 damage built in; also, is it just me or is the scope recoil when firing toned down?