15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 12:53 AM by ChestSplittah RSS

Ways to improve connection

9blackguys

I have heard people (friends and forum go-ers) talk about a few ways to decrease the lag suffered in a match. One was to turn off theater filming. I've tried it and I can't objectively say that it helped any. The other was to use your internet (facebook, youtube etc.) sot the game doesn't pick you for host, but I have two questions regarding that:

1. Why is it that host is now bad to get?

2. How does that work?

Has anyone here heard ways to improve your connection? Are there any believers in the above methods? Discuss

• Re: Ways to improve connection

the game choses who has the slowest and least stable connection to host.

9blackguys

It didn't use to do that did it? If so what was all the "host advantage" complaining about then

I

because host had 0 ping thus seen everything before other players by .05 seconds if the other players have 50ms ping

9blackguys

"wait you're confusing me, just let put the ball in the whole"

No sorry had to do that, seriously though, I am confused.

How does the host have the best connection and no lag if the game picks the person with the "worst and least stable connection" to host? Those are very contradicting statements.

Not calling you a liar I'm just saying.

in pervious call of duties the host had an advantage beause he had the best connection due to the fact that listen servers or P2P connections the host is hosting the game and playing it on the same system. however  mw3 now picks host based on wost connection type thus when lag comp kicks it, it causes the lag from the other players to affect the host as well as anyplayer that has a decent connection to the host. host advantage is only an issue with P2P connections, and usually isn't noticable unless the ping difference between host and the other players is sufficant like it is on xbox and ps3 connections due to the data having to make additional jumps before making its way to the host or player. a host advantage of .05 seconds is hardly noticable as if it were a host advantage of say .2 second. now host advantage was never an issue for pc players up intill mw2 where iw thought it would be better to have pc players deal with the not effective p2p matchmaking instead of letting us use dedicated servers which while cost more to run don't have factors like host advantage and exessive lag comp as high latancy based issues usually at limited to only the players with the high ping.

.05 second would be equvilant to that of 50 ms ping and .2 would be 200ms ping.

30 to 100 milliseconds — typical minimum latency for a broadband internet connection (important for online gaming)

I am under a very different impression than Zacky......the game in my opinion picks the BEST connection to be the host but then they adjust that hosts view so that they don't see others first......they impose a penalty of sorts so that they don't have a host advantage.

If they picked the worst connection then the game would suck for all because the connection sucks to begin with.

Not sure if I am right but that's how I understand it.

ChestSplittah

Nothing can be done. It seems the parent company just slid enough money out there to get the game made and sold. It's over. Drop this game. It shouldve never have been anyway.