48 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2012 2:15 PM by ctrl-s RSS

Looking to buy a headset/mic. Got any recommendations?

ctrl-s

Looking for reliability, features and build quality on a combo headset for 360. Cost is less of an issue vs quality. Tired of flimsy cables and mic arms. I know you guys have some experience there, thanks in advance.

• Re: Looking to buy a headset/mic. Got any recommendations?

I just picked up the Turtle Beach X12's, and I am pretty happy with the quality of both the mic and cables.

yovlud

Avoid Tritton like the plague...they are complete poop.  I bought the top of the line AxPros and they have started messing up on me after 6 months.

dedicatedserversplease

My recommendation is to search this topic on the forums.  There is a new thread every 3 days or so with the same question.  Many of us are tired of typing out long replies to the same question.  Good luck.

I have had a few headphones and I also come from an audio engineering background.  I personally think the Turtle Beach X12's are fantastic for the money.  They are wired however.  I also purchased their new DSS2 for surround capabilities.  They sound very good and are comfortable and seem well made. 

Also, the Turtle Beach x13's are pretty dope too. Check those out

creaper21

I don't know much about headsets, but I have these Turtle Beach DPX21's and they're great when it comes to sound quality, but they absolutely HURT MY EARS when I have them on for longer than an hour. It's dissapointing because they were about $120 when I first bought them. I thought since they were the most expensive that they would be the most comfortable, but I guess not. No matter what you get, find a pair that looks comfortable and that will be able to sit OVER your ears and not just flat out on top of them like mine.

r8edtripx

creaper21 wrote:

I don't know much about headsets, but I have these Turtle Beach DPX21's and they're great when it comes to sound quality, but they absolutely HURT MY EARS when I have them on for longer than an hour. It's dissapointing because they were about $120 when I first bought them. I thought since they were the most expensive that they would be the most comfortable, but I guess not. No matter what you get, find a pair that looks comfortable and that will be able to sit OVER your ears and not just flat out on top of them like mine.

I really find the DPX21s have great sound AND are very comfortable, even for long gaming sessions. The only problem I've had is the design flaw on the right side at the point where the earcup swivels. I've had two pairs that have broken in the same exact spot and I've seen YouTube uploads of people with the same complaint.

creaper21

Well, they actually feel good at first. A lot better than the regular Xbox mic. It's just that they start to hurt my ears after an hour or so. Or maybe I just have an abnormally large head, I don't know.

I also forgot to mention, sometimes when plugged directly into my controller for actual communication, it sometimes makes a buzzing sound that can be heard by everyone else and through it's own sound. It usually goes away when you unplug it and plug it back in, but eventually comes back. I don't know why.

BrokenBladez

Whaat, nobody has said the overhyped Astro A40's yet?  Good, they aren't worth the money.

I've a pair of Turtle Beach XP500 and Astro's and did a side by side comparison - XP500's blow them out of the water.  With Astro it sounds as though you are hearing things inside of a tunnel, or under water.  With the XP500's, I can hear wind and other sounds on Seatown that before were barely audible or inaudible.  One gripe about the XP500's and the X41's (I've had them both) is they sound slightly metallic in the beggining, but you get used to it, and their clarity + wireless more than make up for it.

The only use the Astro's have are for gaming events - so if you plan to attend those, then they are worth it.

r8edtripx

ctrl-s wrote:

Looking for reliability, features and build quality on a combo headset for 360. Cost is less of an issue vs quality. Tired of flimsy cables and mic arms. I know you guys have some experience there, thanks in advance.

You could get the XP500 because they already come with the Bluetooth accessory that makes the Xbox experience completely wireless. (The PX5s doesn't come with thta accessory, but is the same headset in a different color and different name on the side)

I use the PX5s for my primary gaming setup and I love them.

The headset as a whole has a very sturdy feel. They feel like you paid big money for them. (and if you end up owning these, you will have paid big money for them.)

This headset looks great (as does the XP500) and has a nice stand to show it off when you're not using it.

They sound great. I can really pin-point where a particular sound is coming from. Anything coming over RF, like the game sound or the TV sound can be pumped up to really loud levels.

Super comfortable since they fit over your entire ear and the material feels really good against your head. The mic arms are really good; flexible but not cheap-feeling.

The presets are cool to check out, I have a couple of favorites.

The voice morphing is cool, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Even though the headset has a lot of knobs and buttons on them it is EASY to remember what does what and you'll be able to adjust everything by touch in no time.

One of the features I use a lot is the double Bluetooth, where I sync up my phone to the headset so I never miss a call when I'm gaming.

I also have my TV running through my headset before it hits my receiver so I have the option of listening through my headset, my receiver, or both. Even when I'm not gaming I'll watch TV while listening with my headset, and watch YouTube videos on my iPhone and I'll turn the volume down on one and raise the other depending on which one is more interesting at the time.

I've never had any issues with interference of any kind, but I've read in some of these forums where some people have. Maybe it depends on your surroundings. Since these are on the pricier side, I'd suggest you get them at Best Buy and see if you experience any interference and then return them after a couple of weeks after you've checked them out.

Here are the only 3 cons:

1. When you take the headset off and they're hanging around your neck, they feel like they're choking you slightly.

2. When you connect to a device via Bluetooth to listen to music, the music could be louder. It's at an ok volume; but if you really want to blast it and get pumped up, it's not quite loud enough.

3. It takes 2 AA batteries and they last approximately 10 hours. You'll be going through lots of batteries unless you have a rechargeable solution.

Southend_boi

astro A40's ftw!

gallp13

Budget TB X12

Moderate TB X41

Expensive TD Delta

Used all happy with results

triiviium-

Tritton detonators. They are amazing in every way and so versatile. 80 bucks at best buy. You can take the mic off of them and you can plug them into your ipod if you want.

Rednecksniper39

I use the TB x41s and they are pretty good. Only problem is that the burn through batteries and if my computer is too close the Wifi signal messes with the headsets wireless signal.

Turtle Beach XP500 aka MW3 Delta.

Sounds AWESOME!

Looks great

Very nicely built, lots of adjustability.

Comfort squishes my ears a bit after about 4hrs ear is a bit tender.

Eats batteries like you invest in duracell buy rechargeable replace daily.

Highly recommended

ctrl-s wrote:

Trust Wiggy on this, don't waste your money buying multiple headsets, save your money and buy the Astro A40 with the mixer, you will not be disappointed.

Best Gaming investment Wiggy has ever made.

I have owned 3 different pairs of turtle beaches, still have 2 of them. Model doesn't matter.. Tried Astros much better sound quality... But uncomfortable over time. Finally purchased Triiton ax pros, by far superior sound quality over the rest, also able to wear for hours at a time. I have never seen a wireless set that comes close to the sound quality of a wired set. But ultimately it's a preference thing. For pure sound though gotta say Triiton hands down. Had mine for a year no problems. Best tip look up a few on Amazon Anna read the reviews there some get very detailed.

Just my two cents

Film_Not_Rated

For a cheap but good headset (imo) i'd get the TBx11's, I had them, and loved them as they were simple and I got what I needed.

I also tried the trittions x720s or w/e it was called and had some problems with them, never tried Astros but of course they are good since everyone has one.

Also the only main problem with the TB's is the wires get tangled alot so they get easily tore, good way to prevent it is just put the cords under a table that way you don't step on them. Had a friend who just got his headset just for it to have this problem a week later, to bad he didn't have the warrently lul.

triiviium-

I would have to say turtle beaches are the most cheaply made pieces of garbage and they should not be worth the price all though the sound is incredible.

Ive got a set of Turtle Beach Deltas (Same as XP 500's) only used them once if you are interested send me a PM.

riffy08

One thing that I would mention is that the Turtle Beach headphones in general are very comfortable.  I loved the Tritton AXPro's for their audio quality and...sound staging (I don't know the technical term), but after a long night of play, they would get pretty heavy on the head.  The Turtle Beach set seems to cause less "fatigue".

ctrl-s

After one night of play, I can say that the XP500's sound awesome. The 5.1 Surround, in addition to the stereo enhancement preset really helps with positioning. Footsteps, reloads, voices, explosions etc are all telling me where the action is. Win.

I also tested out the bluetooth connection. Got a call from my g/f while playing - mixed the call and the game audio in the headphones and let me use the mic to take the call, without interrupting gameplay. Big Win.

I also like the fact that they can be used wired/wireless on any device. Controls are easy to remember once you use them. Audio cues for each menu item help as well. Build quality seems pretty decent. Very comfortable as well.

Overall, I am liking these quite a bit!

Thx to everyone who offered their recommendations.

Cheers