38 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 8:30 PM by infinitlag RSS

Chaining Helicopters: I feel dirty

Let's face it... since the update, chaining an attack heli, ah-6, and pave low and getting a 30-something kill to single digit death ratio in TDM is sooooo easy. So easy, in fact, that I am beginning to frown on it in much the same way that others have frowned on using akimbo machine pistols. At least with the machine pistols a person has to expose themselves to the enemy, run, jump, strafe, reload, etc. With the choppers, you can put on hardline, get 5 snipe kills, and hide while your choppers do all the dirty work. I have some allies who are doing this all the time, and it gets kind of annoying. Is it fun? Sure, the first couple of times, but I am starting to feel like it is an artificial way for players with medium-sized talent to look super-sized on the scoreboard.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Re: Chaining Helicopters: I feel dirty
    Godotpwn

First it takes 6 kills with hardlines to get a chopper.

Second, they are not OP at all, in fact I argue that they are underpowered. This is because anyone with Blind Eye is 100% immune to your entire strike package, anyone with a launcher can render your killstreak useless and it only takes 1-2 mags of an AR to destroy a Pave Low. Lets not forget that you can just go undercover and you'll be safe too. Against a team of 5 players that actually want to survive, choppers are pretty damn near useless.

They have the illusion of being too powerful because noobs run straight into the open while choppers are active and have no class set up to avoid them.

I didn't say they (helicopters) were overpowered. I'm not questioning the game, but rather the tactics of people playing the game. I said they were very, very easy to chain. True, there are not enough people who have figured out that Blind Eye does actually have a purpose now, but you can't deny that there has been a huge spike in the amount of chaining (resulting in big scores) since the last update.

I do have a class with blind eye and javelin specifically for these occasions, but I've found that unless my whole team is smart and fast, the chaining happens anyway and I spend 3 or so lives trying to shoot all the choppers down.

It sounds like you are one of the people who are trying to do it every match from your post. If that is what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, by all means continue.... I'm just not sure that I need to resort to tactics that are that easy... I appreciate your viewpoint, though.

It does make you feel somewhat a cheat. I never get 30+ kills in TDM, but since the patch, if I get in the right lobby (I always check the pre game lobby leaderboard for kdr), I run cobra/strafe/pave, and its almost like you just need to get to cobra, then hide for 90 secs and you have your pavelow, and before you know it your 40-2. I dont feel dirty but I do feel that im taking advantage of an error in the game, like im bullying people, or taking sweets on younger children .

exactly, Beastblood... Up until now, I have done it every once in awhile for a laugh, but I'm beginning to feel like it's taking candy from a baby. No challenge = no honor. I don't share all the same feelings about akimbos that most do, but it seems more "noobish" to me than akimbos could ever be. Thanks for your insight...

50calmastr

Me taking down your choppa, I feel happy, life expectancy for a chopper, 20-seconds

Blind Eye + Javelin.

NEXT

STINGERS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont know i use precision+ah-6+pavelow sometimes i die before getting the pavelow because i am running around instead of staying in a corner close to the enemy team also i do it sometimes, for me its not as cheap as its cod 4 but cheaper than black ops but yeah if they dont realize that you can take a pavelow with 1 javelin missle or that blind eye works then they should learn the hard way because in a few months a pavelow its only gonna get 5 kills tops (they change classes to blind eye) or stay in the air for just a few seconds...

i didn't even know that they brought back chaining on this game, honestly never noticed it. On MWR it was completely obvious

McZOMBI

Read this post earlier and thought I'd try chaining when i got home. Hadn't really used it much since the patch. 46-3 in TDM at first attempt and I'd say over half those kills from the air support so yeah, it's pretty damn overpowered.

Aren't we all being hypocrites in a way? We asked them for a patch to buff the helicopters since they were underpowered, now people think they're overpowered? I think the Heli's are fine the way it is; It's already difficult enough to get a 6-7 killstreak on these small maps, and with the chaining avalible, it sort of counters the "support" streak. I would like to see the stealth bomber raised to 18 points rather than 14; it's annyoing to see a bomber every minute of the game..plus with perks like blindeye, it perfectly negates the so called "cheapness" of chaining, combined with the fact that the helis are so easy to shootdown. It's like people complaining about noobtubes, just use blastshield and your good to go!

Bottom line is leave the Heli's the way they are. If anything, the support streaks are cheap because they continue when you die anyways. Better not be a patch because of this thread

McZOMBI

The power of the air support is fine, it's the stacking that seems a little OP. Guess we're all just used to Black Ops where you had to earn your streaks.

I think the difficulty of continuing your killstreaks to get 6-7 kills balances the stacking and the support streaks . I mean with support you can die how many times you want and still get that stealth bomber/EMP to destory the helicopters or a sentry to kill people with.

IW wanted stacking , they did the same in MW2 and its the way they want it, all action. Thing is, I dont care what anyone says, get 2-3 choppers/strafes in the air at the same time, it causes lag.

I think they are a little too close together, I think pavelow should be 15 points, strafe/overwatch maybe 11, and cobra 7. Cobra/Strafe normally wont get you 4 kills each, so you`ll still need to go hunting.

What I think will happen though, is the bad players will get sick of being killed by AS and they`ll adapt and start using stingers. It happened on the xbox with the AC130 or whatever its called. Game came out and that thing r@ped, people were getting 30-40 kills with it. After a while, people started taking it down straight away.

Its not OP , not in a million years, it`ll just take time for players to adapt.

Yeah i agree; in Black ops the Cobra kicked butt during the first few months, but then later on every time i call one in it would be down within 25 seconds. Good logic there beast I do start seeing people destroy my pavelow and AH6 combo more now, so i think adaptation is neccessary for survival. Thanks a lot Darwin lol

semperfi550

Sounds to me like someone is tired of getting destroyed by Pavelows.  Welcome to MW air support! MW2 was even worse so count yourself lucky that the Attack Heli and the AH6 ain't no Harrier strike. If i were you i would shut my mouth seeing that those three are the worse of your issues... if our system was more powerful you then have to worry about the Helis as well as the Reaprer Drone (only 9 kills -_-), the AC-130, Pred Missle and the Oesprey Gunner. I say again.. stop whining about something that isn't OP or broken and just play the game.

Gerbera

Does it look like the OP is whining or saying anything is OP at all?

No, they asked an honest question and for the opinions of others and their thoughts on the subject, but as usual, you're jumping the gun and immediately accusing the OP of being a whiner about something they perceive to be OP without actually reading the post.

The closest would be the comment about the ease of letting the chain stack up through the sole use of the choppers, but still, nothing about it being OP.

Gerbera

A lot of less experienced people or other types just feel like they "need" all guns on their person because of how Launchers affect their mobility (unless they're using at least the SMAW and Javelin for random, cheap kills like that) and whatnot...it annoys me so much when a game starts and, after taking a quick look around at the other team members, I'm the ONLY one packing a Stinger...and if I see a SMAW or Javelin, I immediately chalk it up as them hoping to get said random, cheap kills with them rather than anti-air if they can help it.

In terms of the chaining, I've used Predator Missile > Strafe Run > Attack Helicopter chain and find that chain to be far more, even stupidly, easy to get and maintain (far more than the Chopper chaining anyway). 5 kills (4 with Hardline) and you get the Predator Missile and chances are very good that that 1 Predator Missile will net 2+ kills, thus getting you BOTH the Strafe Run (5-6) AND Attack Helicopter (6-7) and, if you're lucky, you can keep on repeating the chain easily through kills both may make themselves. Maybe 1-2 by yourself, but in the end, you end up with another Predator Missile in no time and keep repeating. Even if it gets interrupted, it shouldn't be too hard to get 4-5 kills again if you know what you're doing and restart it.

nivE

this is a wii forum not xbox or ps3 buddy

Went 45-6 today with 2 Attack Helis, 2 AH-6s, and 1 Pavelow (Silly random Javelin), highest amount of kills for myself in MW3, 50+ points if you count captures. Have yet to break 50 in any title though, but could possibly if I played Sabotage in a party against noobs and extended the game so that it became a 20 minute TDM.

The choppers aren't OP, were just used to being able to run around without worrying about them. Now, they clean house, like they are supposed to. Because of this, they get shot down in most lobbies just as fast. Every so often, you get the team of noobs who refuse to shoot it down, but that is rare. Right now, I think they are perfectly balanced for where they should be.

PikaBoo

lol I never get hit by choppers even I start shooting them i don't see a reason for Blind Eye...until those Turrets come out O_o

but I always keep Stinger/Javelin on my shotgun class and if I accidently change it for whatever reason theres a preset class already....

Well, one thing's for sure.  It really raises confidence. O_O

I tried the setup for a few hours today using pp90m1 (probably my best gun), some machine pistol, SoH pro, hardline pro, and steady aim pro and it just wrecked for me.  I got my first 40 kill game with it too (ended 40-3, felt awesome lol).

Once I get the AH-6 over my head, I'm confident I'll win the gun fight.  I just run around the map going haywire too, so no one can hide from my coptor and I >:D.  Its only 3 more kills after you get the AH-6 too, so it pretty much guarantees the pavelow... 

I'm gonna keep it for a while to get confidence up, then maybe try another set up for fun later.  For now, I'll be staying with this... thanks for the idea, lol (started at xmas, need all the help I can get).

santadog wrote:

Let's face it... since the update, chaining an attack heli, ah-6, and pave low and getting a 30-something kill to single digit death ratio in TDM is sooooo easy. So easy, in fact, that I am beginning to frown on it

Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, and it was frowned upon by any decent player back in the reflex days. Why the devs included it again beats me....

Can someone explain to me what exactly the patch changed?

The helicoptors didn't work correctly when they fixed lag shooting on the guns (made them lag shoot), but they fixed the coptors last patch, so they work now.  An attack coptor before the patch maybe got me 15 kills max and I called it in over 30 times, and in 2 or 3 coptors postpatch I got well over 10 kills.  Stacking all the helicoptors now leads to free kills.  I'm being honest, I had never got a pave low before I tried the coptor, overwatch, pavelow setup, but it took me just a few games to get it, and within 4 or 5 games I called in 3 (38+ kills in the games I got it in, so yeah).  I'd say I'm not the greatest player too (I'm rather new to the game infact), so it certainly makes you look bigger on the leaderboards.  If you can get that pavelow in early, you probably won't die even 10 times (maybe even 5 depending on opponents) since it will save you so much by killing the enemies before they find you (unless shot down early).  Try it out once with hardline and you might be seeing some big games as soon as you hit the 6 kill streak.  I got a pavelow almost every time I hit the 6 kill streak, that's how easy it is.

codcanuck

Nah, my Stinger will take care of them, . But I do remember one time that I kept on trying to shoot down a Pave Low, and it ALWAYS killed me just before the lock on (it was actually pretty funny, LOL).

infinitlag

I actually love chaining, attack heli normally does nothing before its shot down though.