14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 1:04 PM by ForMyNinjas RSS

Problems playing with roommates

Hey guys,

I've had an issue that was sporadic at first, and now it's consistant.  I cannot play MW3 with my roommates unless we are all on a wired connection.  Before, I, myself, was able to play on a wired connection, and my roommate(s) down the hall would connect via the wireless and we would not have issues.  Slowly we began to get dropped matches, would be unable to join games (it would just say "trying to join game x/xx"), or unable to even join eachothers party.  For example, if a friend not living in the house invited 2 (or all 3 of us), only one of us would be able to join.  If another attempted to join, it would automatically boot the player who first joined the room to make space for the other. 

Now, we're completely unable to play together unless they connect directly to the router itself.  I am running a new-ish modem from Verizon Fios, I have the latest firmware, and the NAT type is open.  What can I do to fix this issue?

• Re: Problems playing with roommates

bump.  Still an ongoing problem... Replaced the modem once again and still no solution.  Tried switching the PS3 to a fixed MTU which helped with other games, but not cod.

You'll definitely want to do a couple things. First, you'll want to assign static IP addresses to both PS3s. Once you have done that, you'll want to place one of the PS3s in the DMZ of the router. For the other PS3, you'll need to forward the appropriate ports. The following info should help:

1. http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-ps3-playstation-3.htm This guide will show you how to set a static IP address for your Playstation 3.

2. http://www.portforward.com On this webpage click on Router List > Select your router > Select your game (PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3) > Follow the steps in the provided guide.

3. Disable any firewall or security features within your router.

4. Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your Playstation 3. This game uses ports 81, 3074, 3075, 3478, 3479 (UDP) and ports 80, 443, 3074, 5223 (TCP).

For voice / video chat and online game play, direct communication with other PS3 systems is used for data transmission during voice / video chat and online gaming. The port number used for this is UDP: 3658

Once you have done that, go ahead and restart your console, modem, and router. Try to connect to MW3 once everything has been restarted.

Eite Help; No luck.  Now we are no longer able to play at all together -- even when we are both (or all three of us) are direct connected to the modem. 

If we are in a party, we are unable to join a game.  If one of us joins a room, and I use the 'join game' feature when I am certain there is space available, I will be able to join, but my roommate will be booted from the room.

This is insanely frustrating. 

Bump, nothing?  I don't see how port forwarding would even help for multiple systems as you can only hold the ports open for one specific system, and it creates a conflict with others.  It is not an issue with bandwidth or my ISP, as we can all play at the same time, just not in the same game room.  I'm under the assumption that the servers are recognizing our systems as one PS3 when we join a game room, but I could be wrong. 

I'd like to get Elite so I can play with my friends, but it's a waste of money if this is what I'll have to put up with. 

When you have multiple consoles playing behind the same router/modem on the same network, this can cause these sorts of problems.  In my personal experience, when it comes to having two Playstation 3's behind the same router, you will want to assign separate Static IP's to both consoles, forward the ports for one, and set the other as the DMZ host.

You mentioned that you are using a modem but you have multiple consoles connected.  Are you using a router or a switch?  Please provide us the make and model of the device so we can see if there is anything else that can be done as far as troubleshooting this issue.

Hm, can you elaborate more on the DMZ?  As of right now, I'm using googles DMZ which I believe is 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4 (and I recently configured my roommates PS3 to the same).  We are all running static IP's at the moment, connected to the router (not a switch).  The router is an 'Actiontec MI-424-WR'. 

Generally speaking, I am the one connected directly to the router via ethernet cable, and my two roommates connect wirelessly.  Occassionally they will bring their systems into my room and play next to me, while connecting directly to the router as well.  But more often than not, even when connected directly, we cannot play in the same game room.  I'd say this is the case at least 90% of the time.

Shrydo

Ive had the same problem.  Worked fine the first couple months, now it wont lets us play together at all.  We can be in completely different parties, and half the time, if one of us is playing, the other cant find a match.  Nothing has changed on my end.  Why do I need to change my settings now?

As far as you description of your DMZ, you would need to set it up for your connection. If you set up any sort of proxy server to another connection, that can cause the issue.

The best way to find out how to port forward correctly and set up a DMZ would be to contact the router manufacture for assistance.. If you'd like to do it yourself, you can visit the following site for guides. http://portforward.com/

Bump.  It would be nice to play with my roommates on my bday weekend when I'm not drunk off my ass!!!

At least I can take some solice in the fact that I'm not the only one with this problem. 

bump

Xbox has the same probs it all depends on the router (and its settings of course).

I´ve had te same problems for a very long time (sometimes it worked sometimes not) and it all changed when I recieved my new router.

I´ve tried for months to find a solution in the end I could say that some routers support settings that allows you to play with multiple connections and some don´t.

Me and my husband are having the same issues but our consoles are xboxes.. its been this way since they have done that new update. we are not sure wht to do?????

Right.  Well, good to know I jumped through hoops screwing with my modem settings to leave the issue unresolved.  Gratz, you just lost a potential elite customer to a game that hasn't even released.

Cyall on counter strike.