12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2012 5:00 PM by 9blackguys RSS

Let me hear your opinion on this if you would be so kind

9blackguys

I had my friend over a couple nights ago for some grub, and I was on my elite page, so we began viewing my stats. Of all my very respectable stats, he trys hard to find something "wrong" or "bad" to nitpick and point out, as if to invalidate my credentials. Anywhore, he looks at my snipers stats, and with one of them, the RSASS, I have 6 kills, 10 deaths and "3%" accuracy (according to Elite) and he makes this self-righteous, snide remark:

"You should be accurate with all weapons, that means if you shot 100 times you only landed 3"

Well, for starters, I don't ever remember using the RSASS for a period longer than a game or two, and thats assuming I ever had it as a loadout class. But he was basically insinuating that I'm either a horrible shot, or that I'm trash at the game, something along those lines, wouldn't you agree?\

What ever he meant to say, it wasn't nice, and normally I would brush it off, or hope he's joking, but the f*cker wasn't joking. He was sincere, and what made me even more upset, is that he's my best friend, at least thats what we consider eachother.

I'm here looking for objective opinions, if you'll be so kind to read this conversation, and give an unbiased reply on whether he's being a **** or he's justified to say what he said, that'd be great.

So I'll post our conversation and you tell me what he meant by that comment, because he asserts that he never actually said that I was a bad shot or that I'm bad at the game. While he's right about that, he never did actally say it to my face as bluntly as "you can't shoot for $hit", he did imply that I must not be worth my salt, all based on a gun I don't even use. I mean, what else could he have meant by that statement? That I suck? What do you think?

This is our conversation:

Me: STATUS MAFIA: L118A

K/d: 1.69

Kills: 794

Deaths: 471

Accuracy: 16%

Headshots: 99

Mafia: yea my accuracy has really gone down since i started trying to quickscope... along with my k/d ratio. But none the less i gota improve. im going to start only running the L118A

Me: "You should be accurate with every weapon you use"

While my 3% accuracy with the RSASS is kind of sad, bear in mind this: I only have 6 kills with it, and Its not my primary choice of weapon. For all we know, I could've picked it up and sprayed led up in the air for the hell of it.

The point is, its not my primary, so my stats with with guns like the RSASS is meaningless.

Mafia:    i agree but the point is that my accuracy used to be 73% b4 i starting being a fa**ot trying to quickscope

Me: I know what you're trying to say about your L11, its a good excuse.

But you insinuating that I'm an incompetent shot, was solely based on a gun I almost never even used. That's pretty shallow of you I think

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed

Its not fair to judge me, or anyone based on a weapon(s) they don't use.

I could do the same to you with the MSR, 1 kill and 4 deaths, you have 13% accuracy, thats nearly a 1/10 hit ratio, not very good for a sniper, a bolt action one to boot.

However you and I know you're a good shot, so those statistics with the MSR are trivial, wouldn't you agree?

Mafia:  i never said that. i thought it was funny but i never said u cant shoot $hit

Me:  No, you're right about that, you never said "Tank you can't shoot"

But you definitely implied it though, because you said:

"you have to be accurate with all weapons"

right after you saw my stats of a gun I almost never used. So why make a remark like that? If you thought I was good shot, truly, you wouldn't have said that. Am I right?

You pulled a "Ken", and criticized my "bad" stats rather than congratulate me on the good ones. If you didn't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't have said anything.

Feel free to check our stats side by side:

My gamertag: STATUS TANK

His gamertag: STATUS MAFIA

• Re: Let me hear you opinion on this if you would be so kind
    9blackguys

WTF! Hold on please, let me edit this!

There we go! It's a little bit harder to read than I wanted but I got it!

• Re: Let me hear you opinion on this if you would be so kind
    TheJamboX

who cares about one gun?

• Re: Let me hear your opinion on this if you would be so kind
    9blackguys

I'm not being sensitive, this is a kid I consider my brother, hell me and my ACTUAL brothers consider him part of the family, my ma calls him "mijo" means "son" in spanish! For him to make a bold statement like that and not even apologize and just keep dodging the question is despicable.

anoreo

Friends don't try to find ways to put you down. If it were me, I'd make typical remarks like "what a shotgun nub" and "my grandma plays better" because that is what males do. I wouldn't say it sincerely or anything.

To put it in perspective, you could have fired just a short moment's worth of shots. ALso, lag could have played a factor. In addition, what does accuracy matter? I like firing as a form of distraction(1vX SnD), or when the enemy is dead just fire off a victory shot...or sixty.

Sorry to hear this had to happen to you.

9blackguys

anoreo wrote:

Friends don't try to find ways to put you down. If it were me, I'd make typical remarks like "what a shotgun nub" and "my grandma plays better" because that is what males do. I wouldn't say it sincerely or anything.

To put it in perspective, you could have fired just a short moment's worth of shots. ALso, lag could have played a factor. In addition, what does accuracy matter? I like firing as a form of distraction(1vX SnD), or when the enemy is dead just fire off a victory shot...or sixty.

No I wouldn't say it with any venom or malice either, I joke around with all my friends, you should know that better than anyone on the forums. Also, I usually make sure to say it in a playful tone and to say "im just kiddin" or to laugh after I say something that could be taken the wrong way so that they know I was just messing around. I guess this was a 'you need to be there' situation because his tone gave it away to me that he meant what he said.

I agree that accuracy is utterly useless in determining if a player is good. Stats alone don't tell the whole story of a players abilities, but if you must judge based on stats, accuracy, is not a good indicator of someone's skill, because like you said, lag plays a huge role and most people fire off victory rounds after people forfit.

I remember he once said to me "I used to have the best accuracy on my friends list, and you stole that from me". First off, who f*cking cares? Secondly, it didn't sound like bro talk to me, its his tone that makes it obvious if he's being playful and coy or a genuine a$$hole.

Thank you for your sympathy though.

anoreo wrote:

What this talking oreo said.

vileself

Theres one easy way to settle this.. look at your friends stats and find his gun with the lowest accuracy and then drill him about why its so low. Your friends being a ****. I have an 0.4 KDR with the riot shield. I have 1 kill and 44 deaths. I was a beast with that thing in MW2, in MW3 its a piece of garbage. Point being everyone has weapons and equipment with low and bad stats, we cant all be good with everything. Its impossible.

9blackguys

No I know that man thats what I'm trying to tell him.

And his bad gun is the MSR, I posted his stats and made the same unfair assumption about his skill as he did to me about the RSASS, and as you can see for yourself, he just ignores me. But whats funny about that is he always called him self, "team sniper" even though a few of our other members sniped and were significantly better. So for him to suck with a weapon considered his "specialty" is to me sad, but I wouldn't assume he sucks just based off that.

Who cares what anyone says about your "stats" in a video game?

When people look at my stats & say "you suck,"

I chuckle & say: "I know, right?"

So what?

It can be pretty entertaining listening to how imaginative people get when they make up a whole life story about you based on how you play a video game: "You must be a pimply-faced fat kid who gets made fun of at school & is still a virgin having his arse wiped by mommy & daddy while he drools over pictures of Justin Bieber."

Ah, gotta love story-time.

9blackguys

You know its funny, anytime people say things like that on the mic, me and my brothers just accept what they call us, you know they're calling you those things because they hate the image of being beat so badly by a person like that, and if they realize it doesn't bother you, then they quickly run out of steam.,

As for what people say about my stats in "video game" I normally brush it off. I had a guy yesterday with a similar k/d but much worse w/l call me "scrub" and "trash" "aa-12 whore" etc. probably because he didn't want to accept that me and my team are better and that we stomped him in the ground.

However, it bothers me with Mafia, because this is a kid I've known for, mm, going on 4 years and we have a great mutual respect thing, we both like CoD and we both play it, and for him to be as shallow and ignorant as to make a remark like that, made me mad, I'm especially mad I didn't say anything in the "moment" because anything I say to him now he just deflects the question. I mean, re-read our convesation, its impossible to get a straight answer out of him. He always does that, he makes it look like it's not his fault, or that he was justified.

Maybe he said that, because it makes him angry that my stats are much much better than his, and he tried to reign on my parade because he thought it would make him feel better? I don't know, if thats the case he's clearly not my "brother"...