15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 4:08 PM by JT235 RSS

Will they ever fix the lag?

K1ller_911

Will they ever fix the lag? Do they even know what the problem is? I read all the posts about lag that has been going on since day one and i know there have been numerous patches that were suppose to fix the lag but they havn't done anything to make it better at least not for me. The devs dont even seem to address the biggest problem with the game which i would say is lag. Everyone has there theories and i have mine, i know that the game doesnt have dedicated servers and uses p2p but i believe it has something to do with too many people playing at one time. I base my theory on this because when i play late at night after 12 pm the game runs like butter the way it should be, but when i play during the day id say 90% of the time it plays like garbage. It really does play no pun intended "like night and day" if this is the case that the game is over loaded some how on either the psn or the game itself what can they do to fix this? Im going to make a post about lag every day until its fixed or the next game comes out and i wont buy it if this doesnt get resolved and i suggest everyone else having lag problems do the same. You would think with every other topic about lag they would get the hint.

• Re: Will they ever fix the lag?

K1ller_911 wrote:

Will they ever fix the lag? Do they even know what the problem is? I read all the posts about lag that has been going on since day one and i know there have been numerous patches that were suppose to fix the lag but they havn't done anything to make it better at least not for me. The devs dont even seem to address the biggest problem with the game which i would say is lag. Everyone has there theories and i have mine, i know that the game doesnt have dedicated servers and uses p2p but i believe it has something to do with too many people playing at one time. I base my theory on this because when i play late at night after 12 pm the game runs like butter the way it should be, but when i play during the day id say 90% of the time it plays like garbage. It really does play no pun intended "like night and day" if this is the case that the game is over loaded some how on either the psn or the game itself what can they do to fix this? Im going to make a post about lag every day until its fixed or the next game comes out and i wont buy it if this doesnt get resolved and i suggest everyone else having lag problems do the same. You would think with every other topic about lag they would get the hint.

key word "THINK" ..... Sry but this is something this developer does'nt do once the game is released..

Tell a lie.. They do think of the money coming there way but thats about all..?

not unless they plan to release Dedicated servers for consoles

ghamorra

When you have a game this successful it's really hard not to experience lag from time to time. However, this game has major lag issues, but what can you compare it too. There's no game in exsistance minus WoW that is played by so many people at the same time.

What World of Warcraft does is Dedicated Servers. The problem though is CoD doesn't have the income to support this. WoW has monthly membership and weekly patch updates so dedicated servers are possible. CoD can't pull this off so we will forever suffer with lag

COD4 never lagged like this does ? (that was also a popular game)

that game also used P2P servers..? (no issues back then)

just chuck £1 on the release cost if they wanted to use Dedicated servers..?

ghamorra

CoD4 wasn't nearly as popular as BO and MW3 are. Sure they pulled in some record numbers but I still don't think as many people played it as more recent CoDs. Therefore you don't have the issues of lag that you do now. MW2 was the big breakthrough and, if I'm not mistaken, the hosting system for that game was more localized. No CoD since has had so isolated matchmaking. Everything nowadays is international

No

Once people say enough is enough, don't buy COD, then Activision will do something about it. Until then they won't fix what isn't broken. What isn't broken is their bottom line!

They will never sort the lag out. They will promise to fix it for the next game. That will come out and be exactly the same and the whole cycle will start again.

rainmaker6

I was thinking about this yesterday so I ran an experiment to see how much bandwidth the game actually uses. I set my router to monitor the bandwidth and reset it just before I entered a game. After the game ended I checked the results and refreshed the totals. Up stream 2.57 megabytes, down stream 1.44 megabytes. The game ran 6:12 so that's 8*2.57/372 to get my bit rate 0.0548 megabits per second, well within my upload rate which is 1.5 megabits per second. The odd part of this, or at least a surprise to me, was that the up stream was greater than the down stream. Was I host on that game, I don't think I was, but maybe something I read about the game might explain a few things.

Now don't take this as fact as it is what I have heard and theorize. In previous versions of the game only basic statitics were uploaded. Black Ops and MW3 upload a lot more statistical data. In addition, to stop people from power down to avoid recording a bad game, statistical data is sent throughout the game not just when the game ends, as in previous versions. The enhanced data and the frequency of the updates during the game, add to the upload requirements. In addition I have heard these progressive updates were installed as part of one of the patches. Is this true, I don't know but it may explain why the lag is worse. Of course this is all hear say, but if true, I would have to guess this happend on update 1.08. Anybody have a packet sniffer to verify what is being sent and when?

What Lag!

turn off theater mode

turn off upnp on router and ps3/xbox

it has helped others.

MW3sucks wrote:

turn off theater mode  - Myth and most people say there is no change

turn off upnp on router and ps3/xbox  - Opening ports has nothing to do with lag.

it has helped others. - No it hasn't. They think it does then a day later they come back and say nevermind.

First thing that needs to be fixed is the matchmaking. Try and regionize the game as much as possible.

Change the ping variable(s) when searching from 50ms, 75ms, 100ms to 25ms, 50ms, 75ms - Do not allow anything greater than 100ms.

Change the ping indicator from:
      4 bars = 50ms to 4 bars = 25ms
      3 bars = 75ms to 3 bars = 50ms
      2 bars = 100ms to 3 bars = 75ms
      Auto kick a red ping.

Jackal235

The lag in this game can sometimes reach 2 or 3 seconds, even when playing in 50 ms lobby. (that's 3000m seconds).

No router settings or disabling theater will improve it. Believe me, I tried it all.

You may have couple good games with some settings, just to realize the the next ones are even worse than before.

The game from the begining has serious networking issues- like hosting, player matching and of course infamous lag compensation which obviously doesn't work the way it should.

Regarding the question if they ever fix it?  Hmmm... after so many patches and hot fixies it doesn't look like they have any clue how to do it. There's also a possibility- they simply don't give a fu.k, since the money is already in the bank.