1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:53 PM by Arkmdiget Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

I agree with OP to a degree.  I don't think K/D has jack squat to do with it though.  I think that game type rankings have something to do about it though.  My K/D sucks, I only join lobbies with a <50ms ping, I have an open NAT type, etc.  But I've noticed that as I rank up on the KC leaderboards, I'm more often than not put on a team with incredibly crappy players.  As a result, my score suffers a bit, but I'm decent enough to make due.  Still, all things said, there are still games where I will own under these conditions and other times I'll count a solid six to eight rounds fired from my SMG at close range, only to get one or two hit markers; or I'll duck behind a corner but die anyway only to watch myself die in the open in the kill cam.

If matchmaking is weighted, I'm just saying score per minute and leaderboards likely have more to do with it than KD.

• 31. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

drunkndennys wrote:

I'm reffering to play in a metropolitan area. I live in one of the ten largest cities in North America. More rural areas have had this feature changed.

I'm running a 5 meter ethernet cable to my box, nothing else on the network, and can't get a decent game...

First of all the article is about the XBOX matchmaking, XBOX uses MS where PS3 uses Demonware. Two different systems.
    Second that article is from Dec!

If you have a good connection with low latency there is more chance that you will be put in foreign lobbies because of the low latency. If you can ping EAU with less than 75MS chances are you will be thrown in to their lobbies. That is why you will see more issues, not because you K/D is higher.

• 32. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

That very well could be... The specifics aren't known, only that "weighted matchmaking" is in there somewhere. I'm just sharing my account of creating a new profile with a crap kd and obserrving much better ping times.

• 33. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

The article shows the devs know this is an issue. What platform it's on is irrelivant. The fact it's from dec shows us how little they care about their customers on solving this problem.

• 34. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!
    rainmaker6

drunkndennys wrote:

The newest, least understood, and least talked about "feature" is the problem. I'm referring to "Weigthed Matchmaking". People of similar stats are pitted against each other. Why is this a problem? Players are lummped together by statisics (I'd believe KD being the primary factor). The better your stats, the widder an area the matchmaking has to search to find similar stats. The further the opponent, the higher the ping. The higher the ping, the worse lag compensation gets.

My guess primarly K/D and score. I have played players ranked as high as 12th in TDM which a friend of mine never sees in his lobbies. Only IW knows but apparently are unwilling to say. Don't know what the big secret is. Has anyone asked Bowling?

• 35. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

drunkndennys wrote:

The article shows the devs know this is an issue. What platform it's on is irrelivant. The fact it's from dec shows us how little they care about their customers on solving this problem.

Yes it is relevant, they are using two different systems. Just because MS may have the ability to do that it doesn't mean Demonware does. Demonware has been long known as a crap service. That article doesn't mention matchmaking issues or how it works for the PS3 at all. It is YOUR assumption that the two systems are the same.

And the fact that we have had how many patches, not saying there were any actual changes made, since early December should tell you they believe they have that problem solved.

Now 4zeroballs did claim last week they found an issue with matchmaking and that they have a patch in progress or ready but that doesn't mean this is related. It could be something along the lines of a simple ping value reversed.

• 36. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Would COD not use similar features across all platforms? Does COD not support crapbox$3.50 before PS, PC?

• 37. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Very well could be, or I could be completly wrong. The fact that "matchmaking" is modified by the adverb "weighted" tells me that what should be the primary focus of the network, latency, is being tossed aside for other factors. What those factors are is anyones guess.

• 38. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Similar features? Yes but how those features are utilized or serviced? Not necessarily.

Remember PS3 version is ported. COD is designed for the XBOX and converted to work on the PS3 or other platforms. The PC wouldn't be to hard because the XBOX is similar to a PC where the PS3 is a different animal.

Sometimes though some features may not be available to one platform where there is already code in place, third party, that may make it work on another.

They may consider the similar feature matchmaking in general. But how the matchmaking works for the XBOX compared to the PS3 may be completely different. I don't know if there are differences, I am just saying that there could be. Honestly I don't know if IW knows because in the past they left that completely to Demonware, that was their claim to fame and why Activision purchased them. Which kind of makes me wonder about their "optimized" local only function that was to take away the need for us to select local only. That code doesn't seem to be working, does it? When Activision purchased Demonware there was a collective laugh because gamers knew Demonware was not very good.

• 39. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Thank you for the great information and background. I knew very little of that. I admittedly could be very wrong on the subject.

As posted moments ago;

Very well could be, or I could be completly wrong. The fact that "matchmaking" is modified by the adverb "weighted" tells me that what should be the primary focus of the network, latency, is being tossed aside for other factors. What those factors are is anyones guess.

I appreciate discourse and discussion, that's why I'm here. This is theory, based on my perspective after creating the second account and observing pings...

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next