38 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 6:02 PM by bubbacake RSS

Struggling to Understand- Why do People Use the Same Guns?

First of all, this isn't a rant. I know I have just as much ability as others to use the ACR's, MP7s, Strikers, FMGs, etc. They paid the same 60 washingtons as I did for this game, and they have any right to play it how they want.

I just don't understand how it's fun to constantly use the same weapon. Almost every day I see 13th, 14th, 15th prestige, all using ACRs and MP7s. Quick checks to their elites show that they have thousands of kills with these weapons and very few with other weapons. Also I see a lot of people with the 2500 kill ACR, MP7 titles, and 1000 headshot ACR and MP7 titles, still using these guns.

I find it funny how people want gun DLC. Given my experience, maybe one in twenty would use the guns unless they were ridiculously easy to use. Even being a gun-switching enthusiast I don't even want gun DLC because there are so many weapons I haven't even delved into.

Obviously the people who grind out these guns are always trying to have the edge on others...and I think this is a byproduct of the excessive stat keeping (namely k/d) in this game. I play the game a lot more for challenges.

Do you guys switch up the guns you use?

• Re: Struggling to Understand- Why do People Use the Same Guns?
    bigjon00

im starting to use the L86 LMG the MK46 scarlet (thats what i called my scarl i dunno why )

MK14 the Dragunov , i hate when i see everyone use the MP7 its canny to be honest ,

L86 is an azaming gun very light , accurate with the silencer with kick.

I'm trying to get the initial titles and emblems for every gun myself, its what keeps me motivated to prestige. Right now I'm using the PKP and having a blast. Still, every now and then I get tired of moving like a turtle and may play a game or two with my MP7.

codchamp

I have always been that person. I get use to something and that class becomes my crutch. I dont think it matters because i play for wins and kills. Not for embelms or titles. I will rank up when i rank up. After the server crashed lastnight i popped in MW2 I had never used the Famas in that game. But after starting to become a fan of burst fire weapons in MW3 i used it. All i got to say is where the hell was i for my 40 days of game time in MW2. The famas is beast! I used the RPD and UMP exclusive in MW2. Sorry i did now.

I use the ACR for my assault rifle class because the CM901 and AK-47 suck, and i'm bored with the rest of them. I have been using the PKP more often.

obzi

One of my friends is useless at this game (I hope he doesn't read this) and it's taken me  months of helping him to find a gun and setup that he does reasonably well with.  We've found he's ok (ish) with the ACR, sometimes with the the Scar and the L86, (go figure) as feels confortable with on the different maps but mainly it's the ACR he uses.  He sticks to this gun because he is just plain crap with everything else but to give him some credit he's 100% legit and there's no cheap kill FMGs akimbos or Striker on any of his classes.  He enjoys playing this game and really, that's what it's all about.

WKMMS

It all comes down to personal preference.  I'm working on getting mastry of all the weapons in the game, just to keep it more interesting.  I'm not so much concerned with winning or losing, but just having fun with the game.  We all have a different idea of fun though, so if fun for you is winning then you'll probably want to have the gun you're most comfortable with in your hands pretty much all the time.

Type 95 or MP7, I see almost every using these two guns. It's as bad as the FAMAS and AJ-74u on BO.

People use the weapons that they like.  For many people, "the weapons that they like" means the weapons that are (or are simply considered) the most powerful.  People like to win.

For people who see prestige count as some kind of performance or bragging achievement, getting to the next prestige can be more important than having fun getting there.  These people are also going to probably care more about their K/D and W/R stats, so they are going to run with "strong" weapons when possible.

The weapons in MW3 are arguably a bit too similar.  And some weapons are just redudant or handicaps compared to others.  There just isn't a compelling reason beyond "I just like X" to pick an M-16 when the T95, ACR, and MK14 are present.  The Scorpion is in practice just a slower killing FMG9/MP9, and the G18 is more like an inaccurate handgun than a machine pistol.  Snipers, Shotguns, most weapon types have not so much a single over-powered go-to gun, but rather are divided between effective and under-powered.  That further means you'll see more of the same guns, and people sticking with the same guns, because several of the alternatives don't really have a redeeming purpose.

You only have so many custom classes, so you can only make so many variations without constantly editing them.  And people can constantly find new little distinctions to fill up any available classes.

Ultimately, pre-set and custom loadouts mean that players are going to pick what they want.  In an oldschool FPS, you used what you found in a level, or from the corpses of your foes.  These days, you pick a very few items out of a list to take into battles, and use them exclusively.  And you stick to what you like or know.  (I think the diminished variety, itself caused by an increased attempt to mimic reality as well as attempts to balance potential class designs, also causes people to pick and stick with what they know or like.)

I have a half dozen weapons that are my favorites.  I run the weapon based upon the map.  I've run the MP7 and ACR.  I actually prefer the UMP, FAD, RSASS with a ACOG.  I liked the Type 95 and used the FAMAS in MW2.  I agree, it is boring to play with the same weapons only.  For each weapon, there is a counter weapon (or a nerf patch).  MP7s are not match for an RSASS at range.  It's also no match for the UMP with Range.  If players want to limit their game play to just one type of weapon, they run the risk of over specializing and being routed by their weapon's antidote.

Rob12

I play with the gun that's going to get me the most kills and I enjoy using. I do have 3 classes setup for each game mode I play, an SMG, AR and a sniper one. I mix them up based on how I want to play the map that comes up but that's about it. MP7, ACR/G36 and MSR are all I need to get lots of kills.

Because its fun using those guns or those guns fit their play style. Cant judge people for what they like even tho people do try to.

cookiedood

I only use ump45 from prestige 1-15

For a couple of reasons like its light and accurate enabling me to shoot the enemy before he shoots me and in a fps that's all that matters

vims1990

Mostly due to stats & individual performance.

Take a game without stats & you'll see players venture outside their comfort zone and use a variety of weapons.

I complement any player killing me with say the M16,  PM-9, LMG's or a shotgun that isn't the Striker. It's nice knowing that there are players who realise that this game is for fun.

But like what others say, if you're on a bad streak due to poor connectivity or bad play, you switch to your backup class.

i started out with the PP90 and got it to gold but i try all weapons, enjoyed using the M16 but not the type 95, i change alot to keep me interested

redx165

The first time i played this game i used the UMP untill i prestige to one then used the PP90M1 for the whole second prestige. I also used it for the whole third prestige, then went to the ACR and used it too 6 prestige. Then tried the MP7 and used it to 9 presitge. Then to 11 prestige im using the ACR. Theres a couple reasons why i use the ACR, MP7, and PP90M1 on all my classes.

Reason 1:  Everyone uses these guns.

Reason 2: ACR and MP7 are easy to use. ( I like to finsh prestiging all the way before i have fun )

Reason 3: PP90M1 i use this cause when i lag i need a faster firing rate gun to counter it. ( im a runner and gunner )

~THE NOOB KILLER

deucedouglas

I had a thread similar to this not too long ago. It boggles my mind when I see someone that is like a level 50 with a gold gun. I'm well on my way to finishing off every AR and SMG right now and while using guns like the M16, MP5 and PM-9 aren't exactly fun, it is more satisfying doing well with them than most of the other guns.

People will use a gun for one game and then just say it sucks because it doesn't kill in two bullets or have almost no recoil like the guns they're use to. I will always be big on gun diversity unfortunately hardly anybody else seems to feel the same way.

creaper21

Because they're fun. And some guns are just beyond useless that there is no point in using them. The Dragunov, for example.

They're easy to use and to me, its not the gun that is boring, it'll be the speed of the game each day.  Honestly, I don't care if have a PM-9 Rapid Fire Acog in my hand or an ACR as long as I'm getting kills, capping points, and winning.  However, these guns will always perform well.  I've tried every single gun in the game numerous times and I picked the ones you said as my favorites.

electricfuneralfire

im a big fan of the UMP, PM-9, PP90, AA-12, SPAS, MP7, all machine pistols, CM901, ACR, prolly forgetting some. I like pretty much all the shoties, but havnt been using them lately cause im trying to prestige faster. Next gun I plan on experiementing with is the MP5.

Arcane Skywolfe

I change things up every once in a while depending on what I have to work with and the type of map that is selected. for something like Dome I tend to go with just an SMG class UMP and P90 (overkill perk) when I have it avaiable. assualt rifles I either go with the ACR or the G36. sometimes typoe 95 or M4 depending on what I wanna work with at that particular time. lately I have been using the L86 alot and like it quite well. most of my selection types will be map specific especialy when I use overkill. I like having the choice to use assualt for medium to long range and switching to an smg or just regular secondary for interior corridors and general smaller locations. get the best of both worlds there. plus it prepares you for the occassional player that will sneak up beside you,

I use them all!

My first 2500 title was with the L86...

I personally am an LMG kind of guy, but I usually cycle through all the ARs and LMGs alike. I typically raise 3-5 guns through my prestige to the 500 / 1000 mark.

That being said, I agree that people should maybe try some other guns. It's a shame that they're too concerned with "sucking" with a certain guns characteristics at first, cause there are some amazing pieces in-game, given the right situation of course. I wouldn't exactly run around with my M16 on Dome KC..

- tHQs  Roadblock

[Edited]: P.s. - There's nothing like someone being blown away by how a gun performs enough for them to ask, and then in a couple of games you see them using it. Especially with the LMG's since hardly anyone uses them.

gallp13

Cos they like to?

brsox

It's not hard to understand. The majority of people will gravitate towards the easiest and most powerful guns. I laugh every time I see a gold ACR, or MP7. Wow, you can use the best guns in the game a lot... Good for you.

Those are some of the best guns in the game, most people want to use the guns that are the best. Although the striker is noob gun I dont care what anyone says, if you use the Striker your a ****

Because I like to use guns that are consistent (hard to find in MW3, to be honest). For me the consistent guns are the G36C, ACR, Type 95, UMP, PP90, MP7, FMG9 Akimbos, and USAS. Sometimes M4 and SCAR, but not as often.

Other than that, the other guns are either really pathetic (every single shotgun in the game, what the **** was Infinity Ward thinking?!?!?!?!??!?), really boring (every single sniper in the game! Why do people think this is a good playstyle?), really outclassed (every single LMG in the game!), or just useless (every rocket launcher in the game besides Stinger).

That's why I use the same guns all the time. Because they work.

DaRyuujin

Well I started mw3 with the M-16...then seeing how much it sucked, and trying to stand a chance against lag and unnerfed kimonos I moved to the ACR

then I found Tink Tink, my iron sights silenced MK14 that sits at the top of my most used with 12K Kills

besides that I started using a UMP because I wanted a Submachinegun that wasnt the BS OP Mp7's and pp90's)

also love the USAS12 shotty very fun on kill confirmed

I just recently started with the p90

and I will admit when a team pisses me off enuf by ALL running OP guns I have a Mp7 and a type 95 class gun to shut the team down

owiseguyo

I play with the best guns because of this simple reason. With all the BS that happens in this game, I want to give myself the biggest advantage I can so that it balences out.

BANGKnife

I only ever use the Mk14 because I love semi-auto and higher brain functions. If the FAL were brought into this game from MW2 I'd use that as well.

I have over 65,000 kills with the Mk14. No other weapon comes close to that. I have several favourite Assault rifles that I like using: G36c, ACR, AK47, M4A1, Type95. And sometimes the SCAR-L.

Because if they are anything like me they like to win with the least amount of effort. Check my classes and you will see what i mean. King Phenominal.

bubbacake

Because why fix what ain't broke?