34 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 4:09 PM by pjnudo RSS

Is there a point/advatange to using a bolt-action over a semi-auto?

rlbl

Disclaimer: This is not a "which sniper rifle is better" question.  I do have a question though below;  a discussion is always welcome (although this has been discussed before)

Most of the time I see people using bolt action snipers (in any COD title).  I used the Intervention in MW2 because it had the highest damage (but the barret was not far behind). But in this title (as an example) the barret and AS50 have better damage.

This time around I am using the L118 and it is "ok".  I much prefer the AS50 (but the default scope is total crap). I have used the MSR, and I like it...

My question:

I can see that the mobility on the Bolt-actions in the game is better than the semi-autos (and I am not even going to include the "dranothing" in this argument), but is there any other reason to prefer a bolt action over the semi-autos, considering you can use the LW proficiency (and Vzoom on the AS50) after a grind?

(I am not looking for reasons like, "it takes more skill", or "the reload animation is cool", or " it is more satisfying"... I am wondering if there are some technical reasons I do not grasp - like better multipliers or they are more accurate, etc... Have you found you get more OHKs with them for some particular reason etc?)

Although I am not a quickscoper, I do welcome valid points of "it is better for quickscoping, and this is why...

There may not even be a answer; of course it could simply come down to preference...

• Re: Is there a point/advatange to using a bolt-action over a semi-auto?
    ghamorra

I have noticed that people who use Bolt Action Rifles seem to have way better hit detection, by better I mean they can aim in a general area and hit people. I'm not sure if this is lag comp conveniently showing itself or this is a balancing because Bolt Actions have a reload time.

You'll also noticed that the L96 is highly mobile for quickscopers use

In this game with most of the maps being smaller, super agressive, dangerous, and eratic spawns coupled with the amount of entrances to any location and the regularity of people running assasin, mobility is a must. Yes you can equip speed on your sniper rifle but honestly Impact is a lot more help in so many situations, gives you more options and helps get those OHK's (think mw2 FMJ, sware to god works the same). Also you could instead run focus or stability both of which are absolutely incredible on the snipers, especially if you get caught in a situation where you need to move and could take some dmg.

With the above mentioned eratic (at best) spawns and the kind of ridiculous map designs to be at the top of your sniping game you need to be mobile, quickscoping is what can take you from a good sniper to outstanding, the bolt actions (with their mobility and scope animations as well as reload, zoom, and raise from sprinting times) are really, in my opinion and experience the best fit.

MW2 the 50. call and WA2000 where my baby's, this time around I'm all about the MSR and L118A, they're fantastic fits and super guns! Each has it's own benefits and learning the in's and out's will really serve you well.

Just my 2 cents, putting speed on a sniper in this game is an absolute waste unless you're playing ground war domg where you might want the 50. cal, it's a beast in certain groundwar dom situations.

Also, for refference, the MSR is my best weapon at a 2.23 KD with 1982 kills and a 60% accuracy (second best to the model) and my most used weapon, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the sniper rifles. I've always been in every shooter.

ghamorra

My AS50 is something like 2.5 with 45% accuracy. Some people see that and say I spray with it because it's not a bolt action. The biggest problem I face in this game isn't getting the OHK although it's a close second.

My biggest issue is just getting the hitmarker period and I'm finding out I'm not the only one fighting the game over this. I think that's why bolt actions are so preferred over all the other Sniper Rifles, you can aim just off of someone and still get a hitmarker. With my AS50 I've aimed dead center on an unsuspecting enemy and got nothing but air

I hear ya man, I have that same problem quite a bit myself, I think all the weapons are suffering from it (it being the combination of horrid lag and hit detection). 45% accuracy means you're hitting about every one out of two shots which is fairly typical of snipers, my L118A for example is ~58% accuracy and I am someone who typically has high accuracy throughout a game. On this account i'm at 24% overall accuracy and on my other i'm at 26%.

To be spraying a gun you need to be more around the 30% mark I'd say. The people who say you spray just don't know what they're talking about . As of late almost all my sniper kills have been 2 shot's tho , that's why my KD is higher with the MSR than the L118A, I can re-fire faster or engage multiple targets. 

PS. I think what you're talking about with the aiming off centre, that's lag assist and drag scoping (part of lag assist). All the guns have that so feel free to exploit it when you're in a laggy match.

rlbl

That is a good point if IMpact is true.  If it is going to help get OHKs (or at least hit people if they run for cover), you get mobility for free, and the MSR has decent accuracy.

I am gussing a good setup is MSR w/ impact for this reason...

(I will try when I unlock the MSR again, and if I like it, I will unlock it on my next prestige)

rlbl

I am going to mark this as answered because: You get mobility for free, and can thus equip impact (or something else useful) and not have to waste it on the speed proficiency.

With dlundebjerg28 's answer below, I think I am going to give the following a try:

MSR with Impact (or Stability) and likely extended mags.  Previously I always used the Barret or AS50 (loved it when I had it levelled up); currently I am using the L118.

From my experience I am more likely to get a 1 hit kill with the bolt action rifles coupled with the accuracy increase. The Barret is the only exception because of it being so powerful though lacking a bit in acc. Of course that is just my opinion.

I've never been a quick scoper, throught the history of this franchise. I tried it in MW2 and a bit in MW3 just to see what the fuss was about though. With that said, I primarily have been a Sniper in the MW series in particular. MW2 I carried a 2.39 K/D with a 32% acc. because the WA2000 was such an amazing Sniper Rifle (acc was kind of low for a sniper, but I ran with assault rifles often enough to bring it down some). I honestly don't see anything in MW3 that comes close to being such a dominant weapon in the Sniper Rifle catagory. It had top notch accuracy, the damage was higher than the 50.cal and the mobility was like running with an SMG. I don't know if it's because the hit markers seem more random in this game, but I had way more instances of one hit kills with that gun. Now my Rifle of choice in MW3 is the MSR, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the WA2000 (imo).

I know I went off on a tangent, so hopefully I answered your question in a satisfying manner. My reason for the rant was just highlighting and reminiscing about how much fun I had with the WA2000. But Knarly probably articulated his/her opinion better than I did, so I'd just like to add for the most part I agree with the poster's point above me, minus the FMJ thing. I never supported the idea that it would actually increase your damage, besides the actual penetration of obstacles without losing dmg.

In most CoD titles, the bolt actions to have the highest multipliers because the fire rate is so low. I haven't bothered to check the den kirson site for MW3, mainly 'cuz I just can't get into MW3 so I don't care to know..

Personally, I've always favored the bolt actions because I like not having the safety net of being able to spam the trigger if I miss. Don't get me wrong though; I love me some Barrett. Always have, just 'cuz it so damn loud when you shoot it. Same reason I liked the PTRS in w@w.

RazaOwnz1

Cause its KOOLIOS! It is my honest opinion.

dlundebjerg28

The multipliers for hitting certain body parts is different for Bolt Action vs Semi-Autos

Basically there is a wider area on the body you can hit with a bolt action where its still a OHK. The Barrett and AS50 are only OHKs to the chest and head, but a bolt-action also gets a OHK to the stomach and arms. Its a very slieght difference, and I don't think most people choose a bolt action over a semi-auto for this reason, but if you're basing snipers on pure damage thats why a bolt action is better than a semi-auto

dlundebjerg28

I was semi incorrect in my previous statement. I assumed that it was the same in MW3 as it was in previous CoDs, but I was a bit off.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/call-duty-cod-ps3/1543006-mw3-weapon-damage-chart .html

Small chart, but it kind of shows what I mean.

The L118A and MSR are OHKs in the head, neck, chest and stomach

The Barrett is actually the same, which is new, becuase typically semi-autos don't have the same ability to get a OHK to the stomach.

The AS50 is still a 2 shot kill to the stomach, consistent with past CoD titles.

So bascially the Barrett has the same damage as Bolt Actions, meaning there really is no ther explanation for people using a bolt-action over the Barrett except for the fact it "looks cool"

Bolt actions have slightly more damage in-game.  Reducing the chance of a hitmarker. 

Also, semi autos have a slight noobiness attached to them originating  from trigger spamming the 50cal in mw2 when they were up close.  The AS50 has a trigger cap so it doesn't fall under the same catergory as the 50cal

The zooms on the snipers are different too.   (countered with variable zoom)

The semi's seem to have a tad less recoil.

Ok... the only real advantage bolt has over semi autos that are not the 50 cal is the OHK multipliers. You will get more OHK's with the bolts. The semi auto rifles that are not the 50 cal are better to use in HC modes and to be used silenced.

The 50 cal is the one exception. It is the overall better sniper rifle. It has the same multipliers as the bolts with a bigger clip and the ability to hipfire spam.

Personally I love the L118 with speed. But if  you wanted the best chance for survival the 50 cal with kick is a OHK lazer beam

I hope this helps.

SULLY130EighT

It really is about personal preference. I've seen people destroy with bolt actions on small maps, just as much as they would on larger maps.. I've seen people destroy with semi's on all maps. There's a lot of skilled snipers online. I personally prefer the Barret at all times when I feel like going with a sniper rifle.

In my opinion the the bolt action's have much better accuracy i think the gun stats arn't 100% right, i use the L118 also and sometimes if im off i still get the kill were with MSR that wouldn't happen.