7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2012 9:49 AM by irielegend RSS

MW3 2 PS3's dead within 7 months

irielegend

The day before yesterday I was playing a game of MW3 when my 2 month old PS3 froze in the middle of a game. I proceeded to turn off the ps3 and then turned it back on at which point I noticed xmb was recognising the game but kept giving me the same disc read error 80010514. Eventually it would load and I'd join a game play for anywhere between 1-9 minutes then it's freeze a box pops up saying disc read error. I decided to try a dvd which worked straight away so was pretty sure that the blu-ray had had it's day. I then tried another couple of blu ray discs and discovered I had the same error with them all. The PS3 prior to this one wouldn't save or load games properly and turned out to be a hard drive issue which was caused by MW3. Had I known all this was going to happen prior to purchasing MW3 I would never have bought it. I am now onto my 3rd PS3 slim in the space of 7 months and am left terrified of playing your game anymore. I notice after about 1 month of regular MW3 gameplay that my PS3 takes longer to load any Blu-Ray disc or game. They load but not instantly like they do on a brand new PS3.

I want to know if you're aware of you're game making playstations unusable? I also want to know if it's possible to redownload Black Ops map packs I purchased and downloaded onto 3 consoles as 2 of them were rendered useless within a few months of each other? How about some proper answers for a change & not something you'd say to a 2 year old.

• Re: MW3 2 PS3's dead within 7 months
    cb765

Hi there Iam just a gamer like you I do not work for or represent MW3, but I would like to share some information with you that might help. First of all I think you should call sony about this they should be able to help, second and I learned this the hard way I am on my second PS3 "NEVER" turn off a PS3 while it is loading or accessing the hard drive you will corupt it no matter what game you are playing. In MW3 multiplayer people back out of matches and if that person is the host the game will sit there for what seems like for ever but let this process run its corse you will end up in a lobby by your self. As far as getting content back that you already paid for you need to deactivate your old ps3's and then activate your new one that you will be useing again sony will help you do this..

irielegend

The PS3 has been replaced it was under warranty & I was given another brand new one by the retailer cb765. Thanks for the insight but I'm looking for either a dev or tech support to assure me that playing their game wont decrease the lifespan of my PS3. The corrupt hard drive happened when the game froze up my console and I was left with no choice but to switch it off at the socket (power button was unresponsive). I'm not a hater I've been playing COD games since Finest hour on my Gamecube which still works btw . I love the game I love the maps and I love the guns & killstreaks. I don't like being host it 1/2's all damage I deal for some stupid reason & I wish they could fix it so I don't have to listen to the non stop grinding of my disc drive being forced to work overtime evrytime I play. I'll cross my fingers for all the others out there that there may be a fix on the way.

cb765

My PS3 is an old fat boy and I have had no problems, you should not unplug it like that , try resetting it or restarting it or you will continue to corupt hard drives. I just want to help you get the right information and I think you should call sony about this issue....

Please keep in mind, this issue may have been a total coincidence. Software cannot do physical harm to a console's hardware. The console's hardware reads data from the disc. In some cases the hardware will copy data/install data from your game disc. That is the extent to which they interact. Hardware in consoles, just like parts in cars, can degrade over time. Disc readers, harddrives, and the likes, are susceptible to wear and tear over periods of time. After an amount of wear and tear, it is very possible that the hardware can fail. Everything from excess heat to extended intervals of use can contribute to hardware failure.

Also, EVERY game is first certified by the first party (Sony). If a game were to be the cause of system failure, it would not be certified to be released for that console. Another thing to keep in mind is that none of the COD titles directly access hardware or make changes to core operating system files. Because of this, the game is certified by the console manufacturers to operate on the console.

Whenever you experience a hard freeze like that, you can always remove the disc. The system will restart on its own once the disc is removed from the disc drive, however, your console should not be freezing to that extent when playing any title.

Software itself can´t destroy a console that´s right Elite_help but if the game devs keep programming like in this game (or forza, bf 3 and many more) you will see more and more of these issues.

The real problem with the game is: why does the dvd (or blueray) drive have to spin the dvd / blueray that fast in the starting progress?!?

Remember: game is installed so the only thing the console needs to do is to check if it´s a legit copy of the game.

I think they (ms and psn) should stop selling out copies that will ruin your drive in fast foward style!

irielegend

Thanks for the reply Elite Help. I never thought of ejecting the disc to get it to restart when first console froze and I couldn't turn it off with any of the conventional methods (unresponsive controller & unresponsive power button) will remember that for the future. As for the 2nd PS3 I'll put it down to a faulty blu-ray as you said hardware in consoles, just like parts in cars, can degrade over time. Bit worrying when it fails after 2 months but then again Sony need to address the issue. The retailer put it down to a bad monday morning for a Sony employee when I returned it & I put it down to too much Saki. Keep up the good work & thanks for the reassurance.

P.S. Any ideas about the hosting issues I mentioned. I can't figure out why when I host & hitting the enemy with grenades, launchers and bullets seems more like hitting them with plums, paper airplanes and match sticks, they hurt but not the way they hurt when I'm not host, it takes twice as much ammo to take down a foe as it does when I'm not host. Im in Ireland and have 25mb download speed with 2.5mb upload speed & I run my PS3 wired direct from isp modem for best possible connection.