34 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 10:10 PM by Rednecksniper39 RSS

MW3- Unrealistic=Unenjoyable?

cornwallis1

Hello, I wanted to see how other people felt about the whole realism debate on COD. It's often compared to what critics say is the most realistic war experience ever, that being BattleField 3. I've frankly never played it, so I'll be smart and say no more on it. But people always bash MW3 in saying it is childish and atrociously unrealistic. Maybe this is true; but does it really subtract from the gameplay? I think if call of duty didn't try to sell their games as as real as it gets, no one would notice as they fun as hell to play.

• Re: MW3- Unrealistic=Unenjoyable?
    skippinglobster

Yeah I don't know man. It's a self proclaimed fast paced arcade style shooter. Call of Duty isn't made with realism in mind in the first place. It's suppossed to be fun and action packed. To me it would be like watching Die Hard and saying it sucked because that would never happen in real life. You're missing the whole point of the movie.

starbuckfrack

COD games are arcade shooters in my opinion.

BF3 seems a LOT more realistic, especially the Karkland Pack etc. BF3 you are talking REAL damage like being in a building and having it collapse. Then in about a month they are going to have a "Close Quarters Pack" with destruction that could kill TDM in COD games.

BF games are more strategy like and slower paced, except for in Team Death Match. If you were to compared TDM in BF3 and MW3 then in my opinion BF3 will win hands down.

I am a big COD fan for some of the fast perks, upgrades, gameplay and other faster things. But BF3 unlocks feel more worth it getting.

But BOTH games have their good points.

You honestly should try out BF3 or get BFBC2 at a cheaper cost to test it out and get the BFBC2 Vietnam expansion.

I feel even if you just outright jump into BF3 you will be amazed, it just takes a week to get used to it.

adw1983

And in BF3, people take 3 headshots from a load of weapons without dying.

BF3 is an Arcade Combat Simulator

Call of Duty is an Arcade Arcade Shooter

I didn't remember CoD4 being as slapstick / unserious / unrealistic as MW2 and MW3

CoD4's campaign was actually gripping and well-written.

Then the story-writer died from cancer..? Or what the heck happened?

Did they want to merge Call of Duty with James Bond?
      That is probably the best critizism I can come up with.

CoD = Real weapons and equipment and realistic believable people.
      James Bond = Unreal gadgets and unbelievable people.

MW2 & MW3 = Unreal gadgets and unbelievable people

MW3 is 007.

Rednecksniper39

adw1983 wrote:

I seem to be having memory loss so refresh it.

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

adw1983 wrote:

I seem to be having memory loss so refresh it.

Heartbeat Sensor, Commando/OMA etc....

adw1983

Where to start?

Makarov, Soap, General Shepherd, Ghost, the CIA agent participating in the slaughter, Captain Jack Price the Badass Reborn.

The weapon-attachment radar (Called heartbeat sensor ingame in MW2 and MW3) from Aliens versus Predator.
          The sentry guns from Aliens versus Predator (Nothing like this exists because it's hazardous)
          EMP grenades
          Bags that contain UNLIMITED explosives and 10 different weapons and unlimited ammo for them (OMA)

A scrambler whatever that would be, making mechanical traps malfunction(?!!??!?!?!)
          Semtex. SEMTEX. SEEEEMTEEEEEX. (Metal Gear Solid)
          Teleportation melee attack (Commando)
          People who can fool thermal / motion activated sentry-guns (007-style).
          People cabable of transforming ammo to the type they need or picking up explosives from people without them (Scavenger)

People capable of SPRINTING through rubble with an M60 without alerting the person they are approaching (007-style)
          Zombies (Assassin; No heartbeat, no heat signature after sprinting and running for 10 minutes straight)

Motion sensors that work through 3 floors and accurately depicts where enemies are.
          People capable of knowing the exact position and direction of enemies whom have been touched by the shockwave from a flash grenade 50 yards away down in the tunnels during a stealth-bomber bombardment
          People capable of SEEING explosives and electronic devices through multiple walls and floors.

I'm sure others can fill in more.

A Walther 2000, one of the 176 ever made, actually used in combat (007; Soldiers don't have 75 000$ to spend on their anti-personell rifle. Javelins are different, because they're used for anti-aircraft and anti-building and anti-vehicle)
          Tactical Insertion (Star Trek)

adw1983 wrote:

And in BF3, people take 3 headshots from a load of weapons without dying.

BF3 is an Arcade Combat Simulator

Call of Duty is an Arcade Arcade Shooter

I didn't remember CoD4 being as slapstick / unserious / unrealistic as MW2 and MW3

CoD4's campaign was actually gripping and well-written.

Then the story-writer died from cancer..? Or what the heck happened?

Did they want to merge Call of Duty with James Bond?
        That is probably the best critizism I can come up with.

CoD = Real weapons and equipment and realistic believable people.
        James Bond = Unreal gadgets and unbelievable people.

MW3 is 007.

That's what I exactly thought. They should have named the games James Bond Warfare.

tjf5188

Don't people play video games to get away from reality? To anyone who says that a video game isn't realistic enough, i say f**k you.

In all honesty...it's a video game..it's not real life. If it was realistic you would get one life for the entire time the game was out... I don't care what this kid above me says...no game is realistic

brsox

Call of Duty wouldnt be Call of Duty if it was Battlefield. Then it would be called Battlefield.

gallp13

Its a game...nuf said.

It's a computer game if it was too realistic then it would be slow and boring . It's an arcade shooter. Fast paced etc

adw1983

So... Deadliest Warrior is boring because it's somewhat realistic?

Take CoD4.
      Many realistic locations.
      Realistic weapons.
      Realistic killstreaks and equipment.
      Perks are within reason.
      You get more ammo by picking up ammo from a weapon that uses your ammo.
      (M16 <--> M4 <--> G36C <--> M249 SAW ||| Mk14 <--> M21 <--> G3 <--> M40 <--> R700 ||| AK47 <--> RPD ||| UZI <--> MP5 <--> M9)

Take MW2.
      Somewhat realistic locations.
      Somewhat realistic weapons (Walther 2000 of which there exists 176 units, non-existing M21 EBR)
      Nuclear freaking weapons to kill 4 opponents or just to prevent them from having a UAV? Sentry guns and portable radars from Aliens versus Predator?

Perks? I will mention a few honorable mentions: Teleport attack, Bag of Holding, Vampiric ammo and explosives regeneration
      You don't get more ammo unless you pick up a new weapon or walk over a weapon of the exact same type as yours with the exact same attachments.

MW3 is a bit better than MW2, except for the motion sensor, heartbeat sensor, EMP, scrambler, assassin and EMP grenades.

wikked75

if any game gives you any more than one life, it's unrealistic.

if it takes more than one bullet to the head to kill, even from a pistol, it's unrealistic.

if you get hit in the leg with a 50 cal, and continue to walk around, it's unrealistic.

if a simple infantryman can just hop in a plane and fly it, or jump in a tank and drive it... it's unrealistic...

none of the games out are truly realistic. that would be boring.

adw1983

Let us do an exercise here.

Are you with me?

Can you GRADE these scenarios from Realistic to TWO DIFFERENT WAYS of unrealistic?

Scenario 1:

A sniper fires a .50 round to an enemy's leg.

a) He survives and fires back and survive the hit to the head afterwards

a) The victim blows up into smitherines in a giant pink mist and only his head remains intact

c) He dies
      d) He survives and fires back but get killed by the second hit to the other leg

e) The leg blows clear off

Scenario 2:
      A guy with a knife runs towards an armed soldier sitting in a staircase pointing a shotgun down the stairs

a) He teleports over to the soldier and kills the solider with one clean slash near the legs somewhere

b) The guy with the knife gets shot
      c) The guy with the shotgun hits the guy with the knife but doesn't down him, and the guy with the knife kills the soldier with one clean slash to the leg

d) The soldier somehow misses and the guy with the knife manges to stab the soldier repeatedly
      e) The guy with the knife is shot and flies through the wall

Noone is asking for gritty realism and one life per xbox live account.
      That is a strawman.

Noone is asking for absolute realism.

BUT what we're asking for is for the games to be closer to Call of Duty 4 than they are to Quantum of Solace.

I like Unreal Tournament. (Arcade first person shooter)
      I like Call of Duty (Arcade first person combat simulator)
      I like Operation Flashpoint (First person shooter combat simulator)

I'm not a fan of Battlefield (Arcade first person war simulator)
      I'm not a big fan of 007 or Perfect Dark (Arcade first person shooter set in the 007 sci-fi world and a future sci-fi world), even though I loved Goldeneye's multiplayer.

CoD is nearing BOTH battlefield AND 007 with MW2 and MW3.
      That is a completely wrong direction in my opinion.

wikked75

sorry, but a good knife slash to any artery will kill faster than 2 bullets to the arms.

a shotgun at close range doesn't have much spread, so if only a few of the buckshot hit the guy with the knife, i see nothing unrealistic with him still killing you. (i've actually been shot by a shotgun at 10 yards, so i know it's still possible to run around afterwards.)

and, no, realism isn't a priority in COD. it shouldn't be.

adw1983

And bullets don't sever arteries?
          The difference is:
          You WON'T allow someone with a knife to slash your arteries when he comes from the front.

While most of CoD is on the slightly unrealisticly low damage scale, the knife-slash to the hand deals absurd amounts of damage and has lead to the "panic-knife" hate.

You can take two bullets to the HEAD but not ONE slash to your leg performed by an enemy with two bullets in his head?

Which game features the most realistic combat damage:
          CoD or Battlefield?

The point I made was:

Absurd low damage:

Team Fortress

Battlefield

Low damage:
          MW3
          Black Ops

Low-realistic damage:
          Call of Duty 4
          World at War
          Modern Warfare 2
          Medal of Honor 2010

Realistic damage:

Operation Flashpoint

Rainbow Six
          Delta-Force

Too much damage

CoD hardcore

BUT Call of Duty after MW2 is nearing Battlefield, and is as close to Battlefield unrealism as it is to the good old CoD realism (CoD4, WaW, MW2).

I see Medal of Honor 2012 as a VERY potent threath to Call of Duty because it's CLOSER to CoD4 than MW3 is.

Thing is hitting someone in the leg with a sniper does not count as a kill . Torso and head are a kill shot yes in real life it would cripple the limp etc but not an instant death. If it were to put ppl in a final stand ppl would complain more. This death streak should be taken out or only a sidearm can be used. After all this is only a game if you want realism join the army.

cornwallis1

Yeah, I can never kill somebody in one shot with a sniper, any game any sniper. I always get a hit marker, but it seems headshots are the only way to go.

cornwallis1

True, I'm not looking for a hybrid. I'm looking for something different.

KTPhoenix

well, if the developers actually payed attention to their community, you know.....the MAJORITY, we wouldnt have this problem.

time and time again has the majority said that certain things in the game were wrong and should be fixed/removed.

like the classic OMA complaining. that was removed because the majority wanted it gone. Last Stand was removed because the majority wanted it gone.

yet there are STILL things in this game that the majority wanted OUT but the developers basically said "no" and kept them in. the most notable is the QS. the majority of the community wanted it taken out for the obvious reasons. but nope, 402 said to leave it in and even had the audacity to make the game catered more to that community, that community i should add that he said was only around 1% of the entire community and only less than half of them were actually good at it. which begs the question.....why the hell keep it in then? if the majority wanted it out, then why keep it in? you hypocrites. i think its because of youtube and the free publicity.

another example is the all popular nuke. well, now its called a MOAB that EVERYONE can get if they camp hard enough. everyone wanted it taken out cuz it ended the game in MW2. the developers said they would take it out. WRONG! they left it in but only took off the part where it ended the match. that is NOT what we asked for. we asked for you to take it out completely. not so people could have another reason to camp or boost.

there are more but i am not going into it. if i did, this would be a long read. but you get my point. they say that its a realistic shooter but at the same time they come back and say its an unrealistic shooter. they contradict themselves. and they hardly listen to what their community wants in terms of how realistic we want this game.

I think it's more the community that makes the game "unenjoyable/unplayable" in the end really.

greencoffin72

Let's just forget the guns, perks and all the other BS.

Focus on what really makes the newer CoD titles garbage and who started the trend.  IW started the trend.  And what is this magical crap?  The Payback System.

Spawns, Payback Spawning and a majority of gamers make the game almost unplayable by yourself.  Now in a full party, that's different.

Everyone goes straight to the gun that kills the fastest and will do anything to be on top everytime.  They put no challenge into it.

Rednecksniper39

greencoffin72 wrote:

Focus on what really makes the newer CoD titles garbage and who started the trend.  IW started the trend.  And what is this magical crap?  The Payback System.

You don't see the buff in the lag compensation in the last 2 titles as a problem?