31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 9:43 AM by poison_pawn RSS

11 quick suggestions to improve CoD

wajackbauer

In no particular order...

1. Reduce the amount of players needed for a match to start from 8 to 6 in all game modes except for FFA and Groundwar (Groundwar is currently 12, although 8 would be much better)

2. Have ranked dedicated servers.

3. Remove collision on players that are on your team. This is a VERY important one. Testimonials. http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200385263

4. Add ingame autobalance. Very important for obvious reasons.

5. Remove grenade icons from grenades thrown by people on your team

6. Remove character model flinch when getting shot at (I'm actually on the fence with this. I'd really like to know your reason for having this in the game. But it is pretty annoying when you're aiming at someone's head at close range and you shoot 2 bullets quickly but only 1 hits them because their character model flinches)

7. Add lean into the PC version of the game. This would take so little time to do that I can't even believe it.

8. DO NOT have 18 players on the PC version of the game. The maps in Call of Duty are designed around having 12 players. Black Ops on PC had 18 players and it was complete chaos on half the maps. If you design specific maps that are much larger than the standard maps, then go right ahead and make the player limit 32 players for these maps only.

9. Field of View options for PC.

10. If possible, when spectating someone in theater mode, show the entire player's HUD (especially the mini map) to reduce accucations of hacking.

11. Add the ability to text chat during the lobby/map voting screen on PC (don't know if you can text chat on consoles)

The majority of these changes require little work and time yet they would significantly improve the game's experience.

I'm not sure what I can say to convince you that I know what I'm talking about, so I'm just going to say, please listen to me. In the end you're the developer and you're allowed to do what you want to your game....

• Re: 9 quick suggestions to improve CoD
    nicedrewishfela

Seems to me you want to post this in the PC Forums, not the 360 forums

• Re: 9 quick suggestions to improve CoD
    gallp13

PC thread methinks.

• Re: 10 quick suggestions to improve CoD
    -CrazyMoFo-

9 quick surefire ways to make CoD better...

1) Ranked dedicated servers

2) Ranked dedicated servers

3) Ranked dedicated servers

4) Ranked dedicated servers

5) Ranked dedicated servers

6) Ranked dedicated servers

7) Ranked dedicated servers

8) Ranked dedicated servers

9) Ranked dedicated servers

Seriously absolutely NOTHING else matters AT ALL. MW2/MW3 are completely 100% unplayable and it is ALL because of P2P matchmaking.

It doesn't matter what they do, they could make BO2 the most epic FPS shooter ever concieved, and shatter every preconception about what shooters should be. If it doesn't have ranked dedicated servers, it WILL be a failure.

That said I agree with half of your list. #'s 2, 3, 7, 9, and 10.

Edit: Had #6 instead of #7... #7 (lean) I agree with, #6 I do not.

• Re: 11 quick suggestions to improve CoD

you should post this in the xbox 260 forum, as all of these are more than likely in the PC version, as we have (should have), dedicated servers and configs tomodify some settings.

As for your suggestion.

Here I go.

1. Reducing the amount of players needed for a match to start from 8 to 6 in all game modes except for FFA and Groundwar (Groundwar is 12, 8 would be better)

Dedicated servers have diffierent player counts

2. Have ranked dedicated servers.

Will more than likely be in.

3. Remove collision on players that are on your team. This is a VERY important one. Testimonals. http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200385263

It stops people hiding in players.

4. Add ingame autobalance. Very important for obvious reasons.

Dedicated servers have this.

5. Remove grenade icons from grenades thrown by people on your team

Options within configs/hardcore

6. Remove character model flinch when getting shot at (I'm actually on the fence with this. I'd actually really like to know your reason for having this in the game. But it is pretty annoying when you're aiming at someone's head at close range and you shoot 2 bullets quickly but only 1 hits them because their character model flinches)

It's to create less people running and gunning. Adds to a more cautious approch.

7. Add lean into the PC version of the game. This would take so little time to do that I can't even believe it.

It's probably already in.

8. DO NOT have 18 players on the PC version of the game. The maps in Call of Duty are designed around having 12 players. Black Ops on PC had 18 players and it was complete chaos on half the maps.

Here's a suggestion, let the server admins(payers), decide.

9. Field of View options for PC.

Should be in, needs to go up to 90.

10. Use a number on the HUD for the remaining bullets in a gun's clip (As it was in Black Ops 1) rather than small bullet icons (MW2 and MW3)

It should be in (stop using IW as a base)

11. Add the ability to text chat during the lobby/map voting screen on PC (don't know if you can text chat on consoles)

Apart from the PC version wont have a lobby.

I'd personally like both p2p, for quick match and servers for the community. Then of course, your suggestion about text chat in a lobby would be a good one.

[pde]paulkersey

1. Reducing the amount of players needed for a match to start from 8 to 6 in all game modes except for FFA and Groundwar (Groundwar is 12, 8 would be better)

That should be the choice of the server adminsrtator. I would like it optional to actually turn off pre-match unless they are bringing back Unranked dedis with the option to rank up as well.

8. DO NOT have 18 players on the PC version of the game. The maps in Call of Duty are designed around having 12 players. Black Ops on PC had 18 players and it was complete chaos on half the maps.

It should be up to the server admins to decide player count. I agree with Motiv on this one. They said this thread was in the Xbox 360 forums and with the exception of a few things, this list doesn't seem far off from Xbox 360 requests rather than PC requests.

I'd rather see anything that keeps us away from more restrictions and console lockdowns. That isn't necessary on the PC. If they do bring back SHGNET, these people will be right at home with it as it has all the limitations you need, but leave dedicated servers to PC options and choice, not console limitations.

All of this crap sounds like you want to turn the PC experience in to a console experience

1. Reducing the amount of players needed for a match to start from 8 to 6 in all game modes except for FFA and Groundwar (Groundwar is 12, 8 would be better) I don't know what you've been playing but the match starts at 4 players now on PC (and i agree with Paul that we should be able to turn that off) but at least loose the B/W and move the pre-match text out of the center of the screen.

2. Have ranked dedicated servers. Agreed (already in BO)

3. Remove collision on players that are on your team. This is a VERY important one. Testimonals. http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200385263

This is just ridiculous: you can't walk through people (that goes for FF as well; You can't SHOOT through people either)

4. Add ingame autobalance. Very important for obvious reasons. Agreed (aready in BO)

5. Remove grenade icons from grenades thrown by people on your team This is a weird one: but since you're obviously a softcore gamer; why wouldn't you want to know ANY nades where tossed at you? (oh right i almost fogot in soft core you don't have to takre responsibility, for shooting, or fragging friendlies...)

6. Remove character model flinch when getting shot at (I'm actually on the fence with this. I'd actually really like to know your reason for having this in the game. But it is pretty annoying when you're aiming at someone's head at close range and you shoot 2 bullets quickly but only 1 hits them because their character model flinches)? sounds like you would like every one to sit still while you shoot them?

7. Add lean into the PC version of the game. This would take so little time to do that I can't even believe it. Agreed (aready in BO)

8. DO NOT have 18 players on the PC version of the game. The maps in Call of Duty are designed around having 12 players. Black Ops on PC had 18 players and it was complete chaos on half the maps. why would you want to limit CHOICE? I would much rather see a little bigger maps; but if you want to play on 12 man servers what's stopping you?

9. Field of View options for PC.Agreed (aready in BO)

10. Use a number on the HUD for the remaining bullets in a gun's clip (As it was in Black Ops 1) rather than small bullet icons (MW2 and MW3) Less hud is more view; i prefer NO hud

11. Add the ability to text chat during the lobby/map voting screen on PC (don't know if you can text chat on consoles) Abolish IWnet on the PC: It doesn't work; and it never will.

These changes require little work and time yet they would significantly imrpove the games experience. Most of the changes that you have suggested will NOT improve the game experience

I'm not sure what I can say to convince you that I know what I'm talking about, so I'm just going to say, please listen to me. In the end you're the developer and you're allowed to do what you want to your game....

I'm not sure you do know what you're talking about: Like I said I really think you should have stayed in the 360 section; because to me it doesn't sound like you really know what the PC only community wants.  It sounds like you want an even more arcade, dumded down, shoot through your team mates, take no responsibility for you actions CONSOLE game on the PC

But I can tell you what we don't want; we don't want a console port, or LESS choices.

Poison_pawn POC (pc only community)

wajackbauer

Most of the things I've said in this thread have come from my experiences while playing MW3 on PC. While Black Ops 1 had a few of the things that I mentioned in the list, there's no guarantee they'll stay. In response to a few of the things you've said...

#3. Why is it ridiculous? If you're going to pull the "it's not realistic" argument then whoa. Fact is, I've read plenty of people complain about this and this alone would greatly improve my experience in CoD. Here's a nice example for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shIveDS8ly4&feature=player_detailpage#t=88s

#8. I highly doubt Treyarch are going to make PC exclusive maps. (although there is always the possibility) Call of Duty is built for Xbox 360, therefor the maps are built for 12 players. If they give us good server control and allow the option to have 18, I guess that's ok. But in a sense its bad to give us that choice because the maps aren't meant for 18 players and for those of us that want to play with 12 on PC, it'll just make it harder to find servers in your country, with your preferred game mode, with your preferred player limit...

To be fair, Team Fortress 2 has both of the things mentioned in #3 and #6, (TF2 still has SLIGHT character model flinch, its enough just to not make it look weird) have you ever seen anyone complain about them?

I take it you didn't play MW3 on PC btw.

Go back to your console; and leave the PC to people who don't want to play on a console, or a simulated console.(and FPS to people who don't want to play MMORPs)

And yes btw: I have played EVERY  PC COD, since 10/03 that had dedicated servers. .

wajackbauer

You can't put an i7 920 and a GTX 580 in a console, but hey, you're the boss, I play CoD on a console with a i7 920 and a GTX 580....

If being a PC gamer means that you want 32 or 64 player limits in a game where where the maps are designed for 12 players, then I don't want to be considered a PC gamer....

More players does not mean better, especially when more players means screwed up spawns and not being able to kill more than 2 people without getting killed by someone from behind because the maps are cluttered with more people that what it should have.

[pde]paulkersey

None of us knows the final map size, but the way they did things in BO1 was to close off parts of a map for a particular mode. If they are making the maps bigger, they can just close off parts of the map to satisfy a console player such as yourself. You can still have a 12 player server to join because the number 12 exists inside of the number 32 or 64. See how that works? Choice my friend. You have that choice to pick what server you want to play at.

The statement 'more players does not mean better' can only be determined by the individual (or a console mind). How can people tell others that more players automatically does not mean better? That's like a TV trying to tell us who we should vote for. Don't have a closed mind and think about choice. Think about PC. Our choices means that you won't be excluded. Your choice means actually the opposite for others.

The more you try to make this an Xbox, the more you would fit right in over there instead of here. None of us own a PC to follow an Xbox. That's backwards.

Are you kidding me limit it to 12 players that is boring on the PC I want to have 64+ player count if you want 12 player count join a server that has 12 players max also Ranked Dedicated Servers and Lean I think my topic is better than this one my topic has every single thing included it is a disgrace for the PC version to not have 64+ player count along with larger maps.

lKriSl

totally agree with you there ballowers100 12 players on the pc is boring and please do not add matchmaking to be p2p if you are going to add it make it find a server with the game type you picked in the menu to find the lowest ping that would be nice because this p2p aka "player to player" sucks my reasons are

most of the players in the world are too far from eatch other so net speed comes into hand so thats a fail

or some have really slow computers so if they have host well you wont beable to do a thing becuase it wont be playable at all

so yes for the PC Version vote for PROMOD and Servers Dedicated Servers

Scratch #1 and Just make Larger maps to fit 18 players, because it's better to play with a lot of people! Thank you.

People seriously stop being ridiculous there needs to be 64+ player count I don't want to have 12, 18, or 32 player count I want to choose a server that has 64+ player count to play on if you want 12, 18, or 32 then choose a server that has that number set this is getting ridiculous the PC is not a console however they should make larger maps but please support 64+ player count.

Ballowers100 wrote:

People seriously stop being ridiculous there needs to be 64+ player count I don't want to have 12, 18, or 32 player count I want to choose a server that has 64+ player count to play on if you want 12, 18, or 32 then choose a server that has that number set this is getting ridiculous the PC is not a console however they should make larger maps but please support 64+ player count.

Stop whining about 64 slot servers: that's not a deal breaker.

Dedicated servers are.

Poison_pawn POC

u forgot i thing to add...

the graphic quality and the shader quality should be better then battlefield 3 ..

Yinj

Pls add no FPS Limit @ 90FPS... kinda sucks!

whatabeer

Why 12 players? if you don't like ground war that much play on the TDM 6V6 slots.. WE WANT RANKED DEDICATED SERVERS AND DIRECT X 11!

wajackbauer

Do you guys think movement speed should be based on the weapon currently equipped as in World at War and Black Ops? I'm a bit on the fence, it's a game changer.

Modern Warfare 2's style was based on whatever weapon you spawned with, while Modern Warfare 3's style is a bit better. Your movement speed in MW3 is made from whatever primary and secondary you have equpped. So if you had an LMG and a pistol, but then got rid of your pistol and picked up an assault rifle, you would move slower than if you had the pistol.

kawz

wajackbauer wrote:

Do you guys think movement speed should be based on the weapon currently equipped as in World at War and Black Ops? I'm a bit on the fence, it's a game changer.

Modern Warfare 2's style was based on whatever weapon you spawned with, while Modern Warfare 3's style is a bit better. Your movement speed in MW3 is made from whatever primary and secondary you have equpped. So if you had an LMG and a pistol, but then got rid of your pistol and picked up an assault rifle, you would move slower than if you had the pistol.

I think it should be like Mw3.  Both weapons you're carrying should affect your agility and speed.  Agreed, a dude with an LMG and a launcher should move slower than a dude with an LMG and a pistol.

poison_pawn

Actually weight is weight: BUT: it is easier to run with a pistol in one hand; then a rifle in both.

So if the started with a base "weight penalty" (dependant on what you where carrying, at any given time);

and only reduced it slightly when the pistol is pulled, I could live with that.