7 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 7:52 AM by Eqvvs RSS

ping

Eqvvs

Yesterday someone posted about pinging google to see what the results were and what kind of connection issues they have in multiplayer. I did said test(had to google it to find out how)  What do these ping results tell you? or should I, as I didn't know how to even do the test - 'not worry my pretty little head about it' ?   

• Re: ping
    ShankDaddyMack

the higher the ms of your ping the more lag will be in the lobby. end of story.

smokesdope

Yeah for gaming online having a lower ping is better.

Eqvvs

It was min 17ms, max 30ms, average 22ms.  0 packets lost. Not sure if thats high or low!  What are packets?  

Its not really that simple tho is it.. pinging the server closest to you and saying 'my ping is 9ms' is only worth anything if the whole lobbie is full off players from your town/city etc.

Then you have all the routes inbetween which the MW3 game traffic goes through that a ping test on your PC wont..

Eqvvs

Yeah, following that I think its one of those 'ignorance is bliss' things. I'm just going to go back to mindlessly running around shooting S*it! 

I'm not sure how ping works either but I know mine is terrible. I live out in the country in NC and the best internet we are offered is 3mbps which is sad b/c 5 miles away people are able to get 50mpbs.

This is what I find on MW3:

75ms ping lobbies: I'm shot before I come around the corner

100ms ping lobbies: I'm even with most of the lobby and have lots of good games and bullets are almost never behind/ahead

125ms ping lobbies: I can shoot a guy nonstop and not get a hitmarker then die from him while his back is turned or mid throw with a grenade.

Eqvvs

To be fair, my connection seems much improved over the last 7 days(not sure if something has changed) and i appear to be on a fairly even keel with others which is all I ask. At least now I know that someone's killed me because they're better/quicker than me, which to be fair is probably most of the community