1 2 3 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2012 3:09 AM by Jus_call_me_J RSS

To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....

JetEye

I always play to win.  I was playing drop zone today, and won about 6 games in a row against this group of 3 guys who kept bragging about their k/d ratio after every game, even though kept losing.

Finally I called them out, I said "Don't brag about your k/d if you don't win." They said that they don't play to win, they just play to have fun, and increase their k/d.  They said that pretty much noone plays to win.  They also said they play mostly Search and Destroy, so I took their opinion with a grain of salt.

What kind of player are you?  Do you play to win, or do you play just for fun to pad your k/d?

Personally I think everyone's primary goal should be to have fun while at least trying to win.  These guys weren't even trying, they were just shooting everyone going for the objective, saying anyone going for the objective is a scrub...

• 1. Re: To play to win or not to play to win, that is the question....
    King_Nemba

People will always use an excuse to explain why they suck. Personally, they suck. K/D doesn't mean much to me. Which explains why mine is so low, Haha. But I do try to keep it up, and winning should be a priority. The problem is...COD doesn't award winning well. For that reason, why go for the win? We get match bonuses, but so do those who lose. We should get major XP for winning. Like double the XP we earned (not on challenges though). Therefore, on Double XP days, winning would give us x4.

• 2. Re: To play to win or not to play to win, that is the question....
    King_Nemba

Personally, I do care for winning rather than KD, but everyone views it a different way. It would also explain why mine is so low, haha. I honestly just want to play to earn KD and Winning legitely. No camping. Just a head-on collision based on tactics and skill. Nevertheless, that isn't the case.

The problem is, no one cares about winning because COD doesn't award winning very well. Now if we got double xp for winning a match (not including XP earned from challenges), then I think there would be more of an effort (this of course would only go to TD, Kill Confirmed, Mercenary, Ground War (the big games where boosting is almost negligable). This would mean on double xp days winners would get, basically, x4 stats.

• 3. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....

I play to have fun.

Isn't that what video games are for, anyways?

• 4. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....
    drwicid

With my clan, play to win.

Lone wolf.  I play to win if the randoms are playing to win by attacking and defending objectives.  If game is lost and my randoms are camping and sniping while we're triple capped (sigh), then I'll play for KD, challenges, titles, emblems, kill streaks, rank weapons, etc.  I play too much solo so my W/L is 46% :-(

• 5. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....

It's attitudes like those three that make me wish I could reach through the TV and *****-slap someone.

The fact that it's so rampant is almost depressing.  It's the "everybody gets a ribbon" generation showing the outcomes of that school of thought/teaching.  Why win when they've been told all their lives that they're always winners, regardless of what they do?

And it's also about respecting others.. which clearly these three lack any sembelance of the notion.  Why respect anyone when you've been told all your life that your an equal of your elders, parents, etc, ?

Decline of a nation, I tell you.

But that's a rant for another forum.

• 6. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....
    codchamp

I always play for the win. This is what has always botherd me about dropzone. 90% of the players in there go to practice there quickscoping technique and can care less about winning. It makes no sense to me because they still end up going negative anyway.

• 7. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....
    codchamp

Also this is another reason why i refuse to play anything other than infection or FFA alone. I hate joing a game of TDM, KC or domination only to take a undeserved loss because my team doesnt give a ****.

• 8. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....
    Cheezbrger

I play to have fun and it's more fun for me to get a positive K/D and loose then to go negative and win.

Some times I just run around with crazy gun configurations and throw C4 without caring about anything.

Sometimes when I play TDM and go negetive there is always some douche bag who has to mouth off about how I didn't help the team....yada yada yada.  So I make it a point to die as many times as I can in a single game and I will just keep doing that until they leave.

I died 35 times in a single TDM game once and that's the best I've been able to do so far.  I figure if I'm going to get lit up any way I might as well make it worth while.

• 9. Re: To play to win or not to play to win? That is the question....

BTW, I play to win and have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive, in fact winning IS fun and we have fun while we win.

165-2 so far this week.  (I think, didn't check this morning after I ran a few games at lunch).

Ran into a pretty decent crew/clan.. went 3-0 against them but damn did we have to scratch and claw to get them.  And now I know how it feels when our tactics are used against us... camping choke points on way to DZs, predicting and running ahead to next DZ, trophy systems, clearly communicating with their team-mates, etc.  oh, and they could all play individually too.

Gosh, that was fun.

1 2 3 Previous Next