31 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 3:16 AM by Spartak96 RSS

Too heavy handed!!!

I need some advice here (and not the obvious!!) I must be heavy handed at times playing MW3 coz a lot of times going into a shoot-out I accidentaly press down on the right joy control, which then means I slash out with my knife, obviously not meaning to. I have died no end of times due to this. I have tried different layouts with the controller, one where each time I went to shoot I ended up laying on the floor!!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? what have you done to rectify it? And why can't there be an option to turn OFF the knife. I for one don't use it, in fact I hate the thing. The times you shoot at people and they can still stab you to death is beyond me................anyway any help would be great.

• Re: Too heavy handed!!!
    rlbl

For those who do not know (or think you know): this is panic knifing.

By definition: You see people and your knee-jerk reaction is to clench the controller so you end up knifing (default) or going prone (tactical).  People often think that panic knifing is trying to knife someone at all costs. That is not panic knifing... that is just stupid. (lol)

On topic:  here are some suggestions

1 - Stay on tactical and never stop firing. Get yourself mentally aware that you are gonna go prone so be prepared for it, and adjust you aiming as your target is gonna strafe you.

2 - Practice hip firing. Once you are used to it you may stop clenching the controller as you are mentally programmed not to ADS.

These may or may not work.

coldstreamer1286

there is another type of control you can buy i have seen them in gamestation recently they are mw3 tactical controllers and basically long story short they have a buttn underneath the conntrol where your right idex finger would sit, and this button is ur melee ( knife) button u can presss ur control down as many times as u wwould like and the joystik and u will notbe able to knife any one it only functions when you use this secondary button

they do hep as i have spoke to a few people about them

hope this helps

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do that. I've done it a couple of times. I seem to hold down fire button but knock the right controller at same time so end up trying knife someone who is out of range. Makes me feel a right prat. Didn't seem to do it on all other COD games. Strange. Doesn't feel as though I'm pressing right stick and I don't hear a click either so don't understand why I do it.

Its the lag been happing to me all weekend. If i get close to the enemy its starts knifing on its own. If i keep the enemy far away no problems.

nickpeck36

Lag won't make you knife lol.  The only way you knife is if you hit the melee button.  So either your controller is messing up a bit or you are doing it and not realizing it.  I have played in a ton of laggy games and have never once "lag knifed".

The only time the knife comes out is when I hit that button.  Just saying...

This game knifes automatically as do all other CODs.I think it's a glitch with the aim assist.

It does happen even when on tactical.MW3 is worse than any other titles for it.Try knifing, your controller needs to click down every time.Panic knifing does go on but you should be able to tell if you pressed down on the stick I can.Anyone who says it doesn't happen is dreaming.

I've seen it happen with my thumbs off the controller altogether.

nickpeck36

Might be sticking buttons then?  I have never once, in any CoD game ever had it just knife by itself, ever.  So there is something else going on I think.  I just asked my buddy who has prestieged in every CoD game to the max and he said he has never seen that happen to him either, on Xbox or PS3.

Odd, need to get holmes and watson on this one .

rlbl

Never has, not ever will happen.

get a new controller.  I have NEVER knifed unless I meant to.

Either your controller is messed-up, or you are clenching the controller and panic knifing.

period.

I've used tactical on the past 3 or so call of duty's and not once has the game knifed for me...it would deffo be the controller/sticking buttons

ghamorra

Switch to the tactical button layout. I posted something like this a while ago and was told to do so. It switches the 'O' button which makes you crouch, and the R3 button for knifing. So instead of randomly knifing and getting yourself killed like I always managed to do I would accedentally "panic dropshot" instead which instead of hurting me in a gun fight it would actually help me

SULLY130EighT

I'm not heavy handed, it's the controller. This never happens on the 360 controllers, unless you actually press the R3 button. On PS3 controllers, I will not press down on R3, yet it will knife when I'm clearly trying to shoot.

Another example, when I play BF3, I always go prone when all I'm trying to do is flippin shoot. It's very annoying. I don't like tactical layout. And even if I did use tactical layout, I would look like a drop shot wussy all the time. When in fact I'm not trying to drop. The PS3 controllers are very sensitive on the sticks.

xxphenomen4xx

i used to do that too spartak, and it is because your thumb is not flexible!  im very serious.  i almost lost my whole thumb on a table saw, and when i switched to playstation, i noticed that it was difficult for my thumb to stretch far enough away.  in the same way people have back pain by having no abdominal balance to a always tense back, so does your thumb.  try stretching your thumb on a desk, or whatever, every so often, and it won't happen.  at least that is what has worked for me!?

DaShuk2381

This happens to me all the time, but oddly enough, only when I use a dual shock controller because the sticks seem a little sensitive. This happened to me a lot on MW2, not so much on MW3 but it still happens. I've tried the tactical layout and just can't get used to crouching with the stick, though I guess that's how all the drop-shotters do it.

I was always pretty good at Halo on xbox so when I saw the PS3 controllers that were modified in the xbox controller design I picked one up and found immediate improvement in my overall game play just by switching to the controller. I have always felt the xbox controllers were more suitable for FPS games. I've never had any issue with the "panic knife" on the new controller so maybe that is something you could try.

You gotta love that. Had it happen plenty of times, but whats better is.. When you hit the button and it gives more resistance than usual and DOESN'T knife.

Run tactical and learn how to drop shot. Problem solved.

u are doin whats known as a panic-knife m8 i would switch to tactical lay out and use it to your advantage and drop shot ( drop shot is know as when u hit the knife stick when u are in tactical u will go prone ) all u need to do is keep fireing and aim up a tad bit more for when u drop shot practice a few hours and it will fall into place i switch to tactical back in mw2 and i now win more gun fights since the change only down fall is its harder to knife people because your knife button is now circle so some games like infected u may be better to go back on default to knife easy then swap it back and same for riot shield to but once u get to grips with the tactical lay out u should be fine

I think you are right. As the title stated "Heavy Handed", I do tend to overplay on the stick!! I have tried Tactical layout and again due to my heavy handedness drop to the floor when I don't want to. I reckon I'm just gonna have to live with it. It would be nice if you could set the controller out the way YOU wanted it and not with the pre-selected layouts. More than that I would happily not have a knife at all, I hate it when I'm taken out by one, and very, very, very rarely kill anyone with it (and not coz I'm crap with it, I just don't like the thing!!)

I have the same problem, sometimes it could happen up to five or more times in the same match, sometimes it does not happen for 10 matches, seems to be linked to my level of stress.

Like you I would like to be able to just disable the knife .. and I am really thinking about opening my PS3 controller and unconnect the R3 button (or add an external switch to enable/disable R3).. as there's no option in the game to do it..

I have other controllers for other games ..