20 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2012 3:25 PM by wridtrvlr RSS

Sabotage, Great game mode ruined by stat whores?

opb81

So I am normaly a Domination player who will play a bit of Demo, KC, and TDM from time to time. Tonight I decided to venture into Sabotage to work on the operations challenges since I am finished prestiging at 15 lvl 80. I found this to be a great game mode which requires teamwork and strategy however it seems to be ruined by players who would rather put up huge numbers to boost thier KDR. I am the type of player who plays to win, if I can plant the bomb in the first minute to end the game I dont understand why people get all butt hurt that the game would end too soon?

I will point out some examples, I joined a match about 5 minutes into it I planted the bomb within the first minute of me joining. I then hear on the mic from my own team, "look at this tryhard trying to plant the bomb right away, let them defuse it so we can get more kills:" Now I joined a party of 4 and they all had 60+ kills and one called in a moab he got before I joined. So after they let the enemy defuse and time was winding down I pulled off a third plant and once again I hear "let them defuse it:" The match goes into OT and ends in a draw.

I have to ask what is the point of playing the game if you have no intention of actually winning?

• Re: Sabotage, Great game mode ruined by stat whores?

Same thing happens in demolition.

I was playing yesterday and got shot immediately after planting... when I saw the killcam, there were two players watching me plant and took aim to shoot as soon as it had planted, just to defuse.

Seems most people are more worried about the points and KD than winning now

I have different thoughts on this. If you're playing with randoms, than yea; play the objective. If you're in a party on the other hand, keeping the game in your hands - while you control the map and have the enemy spawn on lockdown - it's a different story.

Although, I don't really condone spawn killing...

opb81

I can buy that argument when it comes to Demo, only because it is something my clan has done in the past only when we are in complete control of the game. When we may do that in demo it is always in the first game and we will do whatever is needed to avoid ot.  However in sabotage with the respawn timer and only 1 plant and detonation needed it just seems to leave so much more to chance, The game I mentioned the guys I were paired up with were just owning the other team no questions asked, but they settled for a draw in the end. I have also played other sabo games that did not end so well for this same reason.

i had friends who wouldn't cap the third flag in ctf for the win, all just trying to pad their stats. (plan did backfire a couple times), mostly just waited to the final seconds of the match. i never liked it, even though i did benefit, it just wasn't right.

ill-lll

This is why Sabotage is a dying playlist. The players who want to get kills are frustrated at games ending in under 5 minutes with everyone at 10 kills or less. The players who want the win, especially given the fact you need 50 for the emblem, want to get the game over quickly. There is a major confict of interest and a lot of people end up just playing a different game mode.

This has been going on since COD4. Sabo is just a bad game mode.

esmorgue

I've got the bomb....I'm planting the bomb...the bombs been planted...Boom! We win! You can thank me for making you a winner....oh and my Overall KD is still higher than yours.

That pretty much sums up how I play Sabotage. I like the game mode but I know there are morons trying to abuse the game mode.

The need to make it where no stats are counted until the bomb goes off.

vims1990

To be honest, I don't know why Sabotage & Demolition still exist as COD game modes.

For a while, they've been the cheapest game modes for killwhoring & these so called "demo & sabo spawn trappers" ruin the game mode by purposely allowing it to run for longer just to get their "record breaking" MOAB's or 100+ kill games against some poor newbie who has no idea what's going on.

I hope Treyarch breaks the tradition by removing these game modes & introduces new game modes which encourage & reward objective players rather than reward those who sit in the enemy team's spawn for cheap kills in Black Ops 2.

esmorgue

That's why I wish they didn't relay any stats until the bomb had been planted. In the sense that nothing shows up other than who has picked up bomb, captured enemy flag, hq, planted/defused. No kills shown until end of match.

It's not just Demo and Sabo. CTF has always been plagued by the same thing.

All three game modes are great and could be greater if they would fix the god damned static spawn points. Applying Domination spawn logic would kind of destroy all three game modes, but maybe adding twice as many spawns on each side. Having ten to twelve spawns on each side even if those are static is much better than having four to six static spawns.

But hell, what do I know? It's not like I've been playing these game modes since CoD4.

vims1990

Missing Snorlax wrote:

It's not just Demo and Sabo. CTF has always been plagued by the same thing.

All three game modes are great and could be greater if they would fix the god damned static spawn points. Applying Domination spawn logic would kind of destroy all three game modes, but maybe adding twice as many spawns on each side. Having ten to twelve spawns on each side even if those are static is much better than having four to six static spawns.

But hell, what do I know? It's not like I've been playing these game modes since CoD4.

The problem with static spawns is really shown on the smaller & linear styled maps.

Another problem is in how Demo & Sabotage works on small maps. You can't just simply spawn players directly near the bomb site to avoid the issue.

Adding more spawn points could work but where do you put these extra 6 spawn points on a map like Dome?

On Dome you can add a spawn in the corner across the spawn inside the dome. You can add a spawn behind the square fence area outside the dome (the one next to the barrel and behind the car). Even adding a spawn point a few feet away from other spawn points would stop this crap.

Another solution could be restricting maps like both domes, nuketown, shipment, hardhat and other tiny maps from being played in Demolition, Sabotage and Capture The flag. If you can restrict Groundwar I don't see the big deal in this case either. These game modes don't play well on small maps and only invite shady activity.

tedge

I remember playing once on MW2 on Wasteland. I ran straight up to the bomb and planted as fast as my character could get from my spawn to the bomb site. I only had to shoot one person before it blew up. When I planted, someone on my team said, "whoever planted that bomb...i love you!"

Think I'll play some tonight and try for some <1:00 games.

wridtrvlr

Sabotage is the worst for these kill-whores.  I teamed up with a guy the other day, he already had 5 people, I made a sixth and was the outsider.  Immediately get into the game, find we're playing Sabo, ok...go for the plant.   Teammate: "WTF!!  Don't plant the bomb we want to spawn trap them. Let them defuse so we can start spawn killing..."

Backed out, reported them all and deleted the guy from my friends list.  I would never play with spawn trap ******* that don't play the objective and only go for kills.  Makes no sense to loose and go 60-4 in an objective based game.  Go play FFA or TDM where k/d actually matters.  These idiots boost their k/d in an objective based game, yet when you plat TDM with them they are 1.1.  Show you their true colors.