22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 10:34 AM by PeteyLew RSS

AK-47 - taming the beast

WKMMS

I first dabbled with this gun way way back before prestige 1 and after about 100 kills I decided it just wasn't working for me.  Cut to the present and 10 prestiges later it's the only AR that I haven't used all the way to max proficiency so I picked it up again and decided I'd go through what I thought would be a grind to max it out.  So I start using it again and I've discovered it's one of the most delightfully satisfying guns ever.  Sure it's got more kick than a Van Damme movie, even with the proficiency on, but whack a silencer on there and fire in controlled bursts and it just seems to drop people over and over.  It really feels proper manly, like sawing something in half, or finding your destination without asking for directions or looking at a map, or opening a jar for a lady. 

What do you guys think of the AK and what, if any, other guns did you maybe dislike at first but come back to later and find were actually freakin' awesome?

• Re: AK-47 - taming the beast

Tried using it last night and all it fired was rubber bullets.

WKMMS

That does happen to me with all the guns... though more like shooting marshmallows than rubber bullets (at least the rubber bullets might do SOME damage).  Sounds like you are the victim of the dis-lag-vantage.  Do you find you get host a lot?

TheCampingRusher

really? i find when shooting thru 2 people its like theres only 1 person it penetrates to well. on hardcore its 2 shot kill at distance so recoil dont matter one of my first AR gold guns

WKMMS

I've a pretty good connection, so I get host a fair amount of time. Sometimes it's actually not as bad as others.  I think if you're hosting a game where everyone has a really good quality connection then the lag compensation doesn't b*tch slap you so much.  Some days though I could have the Barrett in my hands, shoot someone square in the chest and the bullet seems to pass through them.

I know what you mean about the bullet penetration.  I got a 7 man feed while capping B on Arkaden... they all just came rushing pretty much in a straight line through the hole in the wall by the stairs.  However, I think that works with a lot of the guns, mostly because you cannot shoot someone through a team-mate

I picked the ak silenced up off the ground in a drop zone game, and went on a tear with it... haven't used it since around late novemer, early december. Made a class for it. Also, the ump45 I've recently re-discovered is an amazing gun with silencer and range.

WKMMS

I never met an SMG that I didn't like.  I love the UMP with rapid fire.  I think it has really nice stock range so I like to use focus just to make sure I stay on target in a 1v1 situation.  I don't worry about using the silencer because I tend to be highly mobile with it so don't worry too much about showing  Honestly though, there are very few guns in this game that I would say I don't like.  Pick the right setup up and tactics and any gun in this game can be beastly.  Some guns like the PP90 are just awesome without any attachments, and you can pretty much go on a tear with them without thinking too hard about it, but some just need a couple of tweeks and some thought in how you use them to be just as deadly

I agree completely, although I've yet to give any lmg a fair run. Ump45 silenced and range is essentially mw2 stopping power Ump45 silenced. Off the radar, and increased effective range, basically adding more power at mid range gun fights.

WKMMS

I used to use the range/silencer set up on my melee class.  Would have extreme conditioning and dead silence and then run around the map stabbing people with my tac knife, unless I saw someone a bit too far to chase after and I'd shoot them in the back with it... good times

i love the ak its a mans gun for sure , its got good irons im a iron sight man and it just chatters away with its mad recoil ak47 and rpg all the way .

scolia5044

4404 Kills with the AK-47 i didn't like the MW3 version at 1st but around my 9-10th prestige i started too really use it Extended Mags and focus or Red Dot with Focus

northbridge

Love the AK, havent used it in a while though because i can hardly tear myself away from the MK14. Ill give it another try.

WKMMS wrote:

I first dabbled with this gun way way back before prestige 1 and after about 100 kills I decided it just wasn't working for me.  Cut to the present and 10 prestiges later it's the only AR that I haven't used all the way to max proficiency so I picked it up again and decided I'd go through what I thought would be a grind to max it out.  So I start using it again and I've discovered it's one of the most delightfully satisfying guns ever.  Sure it's got more kick than a Van Damme movie, even with the proficiency on, but whack a silencer on there and fire in controlled bursts and it just seems to drop people over and over.  It really feels proper manly, like sawing something in half, or finding your destination without asking for directions or looking at a map, or opening a jar for a lady. 

What do you guys think of the AK and what, if any, other guns did you maybe dislike at first but come back to later and find were actually freakin' awesome?

hahahaha.... funny stuff. 

I may give this gun another go... but I just prestiged so it's a long slog to unlock it again and I don't feel like burning a token on an experiment. 

The first time I used it, it hopped around in my hands like a mexican jumping bean... I was so lousy with it that I just gave up after a little while.

On the list of guns to "work on"... along with Type 95 and MK14 (which I've dabled with...  not my favorite as my accuracy in general is terrible.)

The AK is my primary AR.   Im shooting for 1,000 head shots. 

Okay, I've been running it for a little while now as my primary AR.

Some thoughts.

• Dang does this gun jump around!  Kick is a must.
      • Silencer doesn't seem to steady the gun as it does with ACR... and the decrease in damage is noticeable at all ranges.  Whereas silenced + ext. mags or optic is my go-to for ACR... I think this guy might be better unsilenced
      • Once you get used to it, it does seem to kill quicker than ACR, especiallly at range. I get two bullet kills it seems at medium/long whereas ACR always takes three (heavy use of silencer might be skewing that though..)
      • The sound is bad-a$$. 

I'm currently running my "All Ruski" class with AK primary and RPG secondary. 

Or should I saw my "All Red Dawn" class.... WOLVERINES!

ak47 is the best weapon in this game...i use it with the silencer and kick and i love it, great for long and short range

the ak hasnt been the same since cod4 ok maybes in blops it was good but still no where near as good as it was in cod4

IHerpIMyIDerp

I just set up an AK class the other day and got a MOAB in TDM without any attachments or proficiencies on it If you burst shot and try to get around the kick its not bad. But I have to say my favorite gun to shame people with is the PM-9, It can't compete with the MP7 for long range, but with Rapid Fire and Kick its actually not bad for small maps. It's nice to see highest KD/ Longest kill streak at the end of the game when using that gun

opaquewarrior

I enjoy the AK47. Love the way it resets back on target after bouncing up. You can tell if someone is using an unsilenced one in a match. It has a sound that is unique. I don't think it's too much for longer shots as that has been my experience. Oddly enough, I have the highest accuracy of any weapon using it. A good respite from using standard ARs.

The only gun that seems to be in the same boat of 'just have to get used to' for me is the M16. I stopped prestiging because I got all the custom classes unlocked (my only really main goal) and have been working to level up all guns. The M16 seemed to be horrible at first, but once you learn how to pick your battles, it becomes a beast. I roll with Rapid Fire and the Holo scope with a tac knife .44 mag backup and I cannot believe how awesome it is.