20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2012 8:44 AM by PeteyLew RSS

Did Activision Run MW3 into the Ground on Purpose?

iil4zyii

Posted this on the Black ops forum, but seeing as hows its relevant to both and not everyone post in both i thought to post on here also.

So me and some buddies recently started reading the West and Zampella Vs. Activision case and have come to learn more facts about the nitty gritty thats going on in the courts. West and Zampella are not only fighting for unpaid royalties of about $180 MILLION but they are also fighting for the independent rights to Modern Warfare.

Now after reading that they were fighting for independent rights and putting 2 + 2 together, we started thinking that maybe, just maybe Activision purposely ran MW3 into the ground.

This thought came into our heads after reading a rumor that appereantly MW3 didnt have a 2 year window of production like all the other CoDs. They only had 8 months like CoD 3 did.

After reading the case and rumors, a question was posed as to why was MW3 so bad? Is it possible that this was intentional? Can this be dirty back handed politics at work in the gaming industry?

If these allegations are true, then Activision just played a hefty power move over West and Zampella. Look at it from this perspective, think of West/Zampella and Activision as a couple. Metaphorically speaking Activision has the keys to the car(MW series) while West and Zampella are fighting for the independent rights for it. Wouldnt it be smart to CRASH THE CAR and return it to the original owner before they break up? This would ruin the car and force the owner to receive it as is since they are a couple and it was an "accidental crash".

Now this evidently ties into Black Ops. If Activision does lose the rights to Modern Warfare then that leaves Treyarch's Black Ops to be the golden boy and save the series. Seems like a cleverly crafted move to lose the MW series after it crashes and have Black Ops 2 come in and be the hero. This would leave Treyarch with 100% support from Activision to be even more of a kick a55 game since theres no other series they have to worry about and at the same time hurt the MW series which would be lost to West and Zampella. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Whats the forums take on this? Can it be true? HUGE Conspiracy? Would like to hear people's thoughts on this subject

• Re: Did Activision Run MW3 into the Ground on Purpose?

Explain the sh*t fest that was MW2.

starbuckfrack

At LEAST you mentioned the word rumor many times in you post. But there is too much speculation here. So its hard to discuss speculation.

To take this further do you have sources for all thia speculation . Do you have links ?

Post more links an less specualtion and maybe we can talk.

Now lets say it WAS True. Activision "running this into the ground will do NOTHING if W and Z get their hands on the rights to the game because once peopl here Activision didnt own it no more the first game by W and Z would sell FOUR times as many copies once "that greedy company Activision" gave it up.

But again there is way too much rumors and Conspiracy theories on this. Only FACTS should be brought up. Otherwise you are speculating a rumor is true and making people think it is fact.

Such as instead of bringing up "Did UFOs build the pyramids? " you instead start talking about "Was the captain in charge of the UFO Fleet a man or a woman extratesticle ?"

---------------------------------------------

BTW

"So me and some buddies recently started reading the West and Zampella Vs. Activision case and have come to learn more facts about the nitty gritty thats going on in the courts. West and Zampella are not only fighting for unpaid royalties of about $180 MILLION but they are also fighting for the independent rights to Modern Warfare."

Source ???

iil4zyii

Lol maybe UFO's did build the pyramids? We don't know.....

I made this post but unfortunately i dont have any of the links. Buddies did the digging i just participated in the specualtions/conversation and thats why i decided to post a simple version of the conversation. Source-Google. Pretty simple they found most of the info by reviewing alot of W/Z vs. Activision case pages using google search engine and read mass amount of articles from editors in IGN, Gamestop, IXM, etc.. So as for direct links i dont have them at the moment. You can always GOOGLE IT

But back on topic. The rumor of the game being develop in 8 months was brought to light by people in the gaming industry that followed the W/Z Vs. Activision case. Appereantly due to all the trials and going back and forth in court MW3 was poorly managed because the higher up from IW werent there to oversee the majority of the product. Thats about the only one i know.

starbuckfrack wrote:

Now lets say it WAS True. Activision "running this into the ground will do NOTHING if W and Z get their hands on the rights to the game because once peopl here Activision didnt own it no more the first game by W and Z would sell FOUR times as many copies once "that greedy company Activision" gave it up.

While i believe this would hold true, there are ALOT of people that still think that BO and MW3 are from the same developer. They have no idea that the series goes back and forth between two developers. That type of misinformation could kill the series even if W/Z get their hands on the game. Only true fans would know and sorry to say but does veterans/fans are a dying breed and most are to far gone.

Also i am NOT making people think its fact. I clearly mention rumors and speculation various amount of times in the post sir, so i am doing no such thing

The shitfest that was MW2 was because most everyone from IW left a few months after it was released, when the issues with the game showed up. No one at Activision had either the will or  the skills to update it. If you recall in Jan - March after MW2's release,  MW2 had issues, and nothing was being addressed or fixed. Certainly COD 4 was well maintained by IW during at least the first year. MW3 still can't even get it's lag comp to work.

I'm not talking about the updates and hot fixes. I'm talking about the sh*t game itself, it's story was poorly written it might as well have been a MW1.5. The gameplay was bul;ky the design of the game was bulky, poor maps and poorly executed multiplayer all around such as perks, weapons, etc. Just overall bad ideas.

iil4zyii

Well the game in general was poor but fun. reason for this is because when Z/W got fired for "insubordination" they also let go alot of the main core group(THE TRUE BRAINS OF IW) with them because they thought they were playing a coup d'etat.

So  masterminds behind MW(being W/Z) and their main core(The brains) weren't there to develope/oversee MW2 hence why it was so bad. So you can blame the  IW staff that was left behind for that one.

I thought that IW was done with the MW series with MW3?

starbuckfrack

You do know that W and Z dont have a leg to stand on.

Part of the contract states bonuses will be given if they DONT breach their contract.

Activision claimed that they did break their contract by secretly chatting with EA .

W and Z denied it then all of a sudden said "We Teamed up woth EA games to make Respawn" At that point the claim by Activision was correct that they did breach is by admitting they did.

wikked75

i've read enough, in my opinion, to think that both parties involved had some shady stuff going on. i personally don't care who was right, and who was wrong... if the guys are owed money, give them some of the billions. if they breached their contract, then screw em. it will make no difference to the fans of call of duty, at all. the name modern warfare is done, anyways, i believe, so who cares. just put out the games and give me something to play.

starbuckfrack

wikked75 wrote:

i've read enough, in my opinion, to think that both parties involved had some shady stuff going on. i personally don't care who was right, and who was wrong... if the guys are owed money, give them some of the billions. if they breached their contract, then screw em. it will make no difference to the fans of call of duty, at all. the name modern warfare is done, anyways, i believe, so who cares. just put out the games and give me something to play.

Can you say "scare tactic to make higher game sales" ?

First game I saw this kind of "news" on was in Carmageddon. That was when "important people" wanted to pull the violent video game off the shelves before it even arrived.

It made a LOT of people scared that they were never going to see any copy of the game.

wikked75

yeah. i can see that.

i just have a hard time caring for a lawsuit where both sides involved drive away from the courthouse in a lamborghini, if you get my meaning.

in the end, as long as games are being churned out, the fans really shouldn't worry about behind the scenes stuff.

and i forgot to say to the op, i honestly don't think activision would purposely soil the call of duty name. it generates billions for the company, so even though we are talking modern warfare, it's still the call of duty franchise they'd be messing with. but, then again, i don't work there, so all i can do is guess.

You're kidding,right?

rankismet

iil4zyii wrote:

Posted this on the Black ops forum, but seeing as hows its relevant to both and not everyone post in both i thought to post on here also.

So me and some buddies recently started reading the West and Zampella Vs. Activision case and have come to learn more facts about the nitty gritty thats going on in the courts. West and Zampella are not only fighting for unpaid royalties of about $180 MILLION but they are also fighting for the independent rights to Modern Warfare.

Now after reading that they were fighting for independent rights and putting 2 + 2 together, we started thinking that maybe, just maybe Activision purposely ran MW3 into the ground.

This thought came into our heads after reading a rumor that appereantly MW3 didnt have a 2 year window of production like all the other CoDs. They only had 8 months like CoD 3 did.

After reading the case and rumors, a question was posed as to why was MW3 so bad? Is it possible that this was intentional? Can this be dirty back handed politics at work in the gaming industry?

If these allegations are true, then Activision just played a hefty power move over West and Zampella. Look at it from this perspective, think of West/Zampella and Activision as a couple. Metaphorically speaking Activision has the keys to the car(MW series) while West and Zampella are fighting for the independent rights for it. Wouldnt it be smart to CRASH THE CAR and return it to the original owner before they break up? This would ruin the car and force the owner to receive it as is since they are a couple and it was an "accidental crash".

Now this evidently ties into Black Ops. If Activision does lose the rights to Modern Warfare then that leaves Treyarch's Black Ops to be the golden boy and save the series. Seems like a cleverly crafted move to lose the MW series after it crashes and have Black Ops 2 come in and be the hero. This would leave Treyarch with 100% support from Activision to be even more of a kick a55 game since theres no other series they have to worry about and at the same time hurt the MW series which would be lost to West and Zampella. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Whats the forums take on this? Can it be true? HUGE Conspiracy? Would like to hear people's thoughts on this subject

It's as vapid here as it is there.