4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2012 1:37 AM by thetrueevilmajikman RSS

Environmental Changes in New York

Ok, as we all know in Spiderman 3, by the way you handled things, the enviorment of New York changed. The sky would grow green, the streets and sidewalks littered, people muttering bad things, and more crimes occured if you chose to ignore the (very annoying) crime alerts and had the black suit on too much. This concept, along with night and day, is what the game needs if it's not already there. I asume night and day is already available as it's a big part of Spidey games, but the choices changing the enviorment is very interesting. It gives the player the choice of what the city should look like, and the way it should run. With this feature, you behold the responsibility Uncle Ben has always talked about.

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

-Uncle Ben

• Re: Environmental Changes in New York
    TimFL274

AFAIK this was only in the PS2 and Wii version. The PC/360/PS3 version had the same city throughout the story.

But I agree, if some building blows up throughout the story I want it to stay blown up and not magically restored within a few seconds. This was very annoying in the SM3 game on the PS3/360/PC when, for example, the Bugle got blown up near JJs office and was restored right after the mission. I know it was done due to the fact that you can enter the building for photo missions, but it would've been awesome if JJ's office was blocked off with planes and fences so it wouldnt really ruin anything.

We already have a bit of variety confirmed once you finish the story (you can change between day/night etc), maybe they give us a few other changes too.

Too bad, you're not getting it. The developer said there won't be actions that produce long term consequences to the city or the overall story. Its not going to be like with Superman Returns and Batman Arkham Asylum.

TimFL274

All I want is day/night change anyways. Rain would be cool too, but atleast we get day/night change (depending on the story and as an option later on).

I agree. That's been my main problem with Spider-Man games. There's not enough variety in the environment. Spider-Man 2 had day to night transitions, but ever since Ultimate Spider-Man they dropped it. idk why because it was a key component that made GTA style games feel realistic. Ultimate Spider-Man did have parts of the game where it would rain, but it was only for the boss fights with Venom. Ultimate, 3, and Web of Shadows ran on scripted transitions which made the games feel unreal, and the weather was too consistent.

I think for a future game they should implement one of those real time features that syncs day-night transitions with your system clock like how Animal Crossing and Burnout Paradise work.