13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 10:59 AM by asasa RSS

Nerf this/Buff that...Gun Balance?

azn_chic

What's with all this talk of nerfing this, buff that?

Just because one SMG has less recoil than another SMG? Does that mean the recoil on the latter has to be decreased? Or does that mean that you have to increase the recoil on the first SMG so that it resembles the second? What if an Assault Rifle has higher bullet damage than another Assault Rifle? Does that mean you have to increase the bullet damage on the latter to even the playing field?

Statistically all weapons differ in performance, accuracy, power, etc. In war, a country's army won't sitt around and complain that the enemy has OP weapons, and then demand that the enemy's weapons be nerfed. Each weapon has a distinct advantage over another. Bullpup designed firearms will obviously perform better in urban settings than a full sized assault rifle. LMGs are better for suppressing enemy, but are less mobile than SMGs.

The more IW listens to the general public, the more this gun gets buffed or that gun gets nerfed. Soon each gun in this game will be so "balanced" that we will choose weapons just for its aesthetic value instead of choosing a weapon for its performance statistics. That will make me a very sad panda

What are your opinions on gun balancing?

• Re: Nerf this/Buff that...Gun Balance?

For your own sake, never make a comparison from real life to this game. Period.

The game promises a big variety of weapon to use, but by making some blatantly outperform others, the game gets boring. People will flock to the most accurate weapon, which is not wrong, but the developers must have this in mind.

For example, in MW2, the ACR was clearly the most accurate AR. The devs, therefore, made the weapon require more shots to kill. The SCAR-H fired slowly, was accurate and very powerful. The devs made it a 20-round mag. The Vector fired really fast, was above average in many concerns (Iron sights, accuracy) so it received very poor range and low damage.

In MW3, the ACR is the most powerful auto AR at range (30 damage; this amount make it one shot less to kill at any ranges if at least one shot is a headshot. 30 is also the player life in hardcore modes), with very predictable recoil, good fire rate, good iron sights and a big range. It is a versatile weapon that should be average in every way, however that's not the case. It is clearly superior.

There is also the MP7 issue. That gun, accurate and fast firing as it is, doesn't deserve to be so good up close. The recoil is easily manageable, but again, it comes with a big series of advantages, such as fast fire rate, very clear iron sights and a huge magazine. It was meant to be used at mid-ranges (as you probably know, it's very good at it) and good at long range targets that are not behind cover. However it mantains huge fire power at close ranges, making most of the other smgs obsolete. Again, the devs didn't realize (or gave the importance needed) that recoil is a fundamental part of gun balancing.

Also, making the guns balanced doesn't mean make them all equal. Sure, it's a way to do it (I'm talking to you Blops), but it isn't necessary. IMO, the guns in MW2 were very balanced (not taking in account perks, attachments, etc), since every single one was competitive enough for you to do well with it. Every single one of them had it niches and if used properly, would dominate. Now, to see if this is true in MW3, compare Type 95 to M16, or perhaps PP90M1 to PM9.

There are also shotguns, which are crap in this game (most of them). MW2 was a tad OP, since they were secondaries. What they did in MW3? Made them primaries. Alright then... wait what? You also nerfed the **** out of them? Thanks, IW!

azn_chic

Mmacola1 wrote:

There are also shotguns, which are crap in this game (most of them). MW2 was a tad OP, since they were secondaries. What they did in MW3? Made them primaries. Alright then... wait what? You also nerfed the **** out of them? Thanks, IW!

Why do you think they "nerfed the **** out of them"? Because players who couldn't adapt kept on complaining..."shotguns are soooo OP, IW nerf them!" When they did, then people complained that they weren't good anymore, then they'll ask for a buff. It's an ongoing cycle.

vims1990

azn_chic wrote:

Mmacola1 wrote:

There are also shotguns, which are crap in this game (most of them). MW2 was a tad OP,since they were secondaries. What they did in MW3? Made them primaries. Alright then... wait what? You also nerfed the **** out of them? Thanks, IW!

Why do you think they "nerfed the **** out of them"? Because players who couldn't adapt kept on complaining..."shotguns are soooo OP, IW nerf them!" When they did, then people complained that they weren't good anymore, then they'll ask for a buff. It's an ongoing cycle.

The complaints in regards to the shotguns was the fact that they were secondaries, not because they were OP in terms of damage, range etc.

No one wanted shotguns to be weak primaries in MW3, they didn't want them as a secondary option (unless you're running Overkill as a perk)

I think the game is pretty fine as it is. I get killed by every gun in the game all the time. Even handguns. I hear all this "weapon balancing" crap, blah blah blah. Its not that big of a problem. You can certainly use tactics and a little bit of strategy to out-play and beat the person with the better gun. Perks can help out also.

I don't know how you play, but the way I play, clan versus clan, it's always the same. It's really boring.

EDIT: You can also join a quick SnD match and observe the weapons. ACR + MP7 everywhere. Some adventurous fella may even use the PP90M1.

Im not disagreeing that the majority of players use the ACR, MP7, or PP90, because they do. Im just saying that you can still kill the person using those weapons with any of the other weapons you have to choose from using your brain. Try flanking, or using grenades, flashbangs, or portable radars. Theres multiple things you can choose from. Id bet on that most of the people complaining about weapons being unbalanced is because they get beat with ACR or MP7 straight up (when themselves have a different gun) when they turn a corner or something that.

We have to look at weapons in a raw way. Skill surely makes a difference in a practical way, but that doesn't mean that a "best weapon" should exist in the numbers. Everything I do in a tactical way to gain the upper hand, the enemy can do aswell. However, in a face-to-face confrontation, the ACR/MP7 is, in multiple occasion, better. I understand their role in the game, being practical in many situations, but the problem is they are outperforming a lot of other weapons in those situations. Have you ever heard of "Jack of all trades, master of none"? Currently they are being "Jack of all trades, master of a lot".

Ok, now imagine how boring the game would be if all the weapons had the same range, damage, and fire rate. What would be the point of different weapon options? Picking a weapon would only be based on it looks. So, of course there are gonna be weapons that are stronger than one another or more effective at different ranges. With weapons that are stonger and effective at longer ranges comes a certain weapon that performs the best out of the choices in each weapon category. Its not being unbalanced, its just the way it is. Plus, you have the option to choose that weapon. If you know a gun is better than another, then use it. If you dont wanna use it, then think of a strategy that you can use to help you get kills with that weaker weapon.

Re-read my first post about all weapons being the same. And the problem about a weapon being better than all of the others is that it would be used a lot. How awesome is that? Go play Blops: Famas. Go play MW3: ACR. Go play MW2? Anything. Almost every single weapon had huge potential. Yet, they're were very different.

Thats actually a good point about the guns in MW2. They were all really good, and the majority of people didnt favor a certain gun like they do in this game. But, to me, its still not that big of a deal. I do good most of the time, so i guess i just dont understand why people complain all the time. Probably because they didnt get their way or someone with an ACR or MP7 ruined their streak i guess.

It's all about kill speed, and effectiveness over range. If a gun has high of both, then it is probably overpowered.

deadimpact

Many things in life are out of balance, but weapon statistics in a game ranks fairly low on my list of things to dwell on or worry about. lol