4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 10:34 PM by opb81 RSS

Really dumb/hopefully easy question. Updated with results.

opb81

So i was doing some testing with my internet connection tonight to see if running a wired connection makes a big difference vs wireless. Well i had a feeling wired would be a little faster, but i was shocked to see my speed on the PS3 speed test more than doubled when i switched to wired. I ran 4 test each for wired vs wireless and avg speed went fron 8.4 down to 19.1 down.

Anyways the question is can i run a wired connection if i hook up an ethernet cable from the ps3 to the router? For obvious reasons I need to keep the wireless for the other devices in the house.

Thanks and helpful answers will be credited.

• Re: Really dumb/hopefully easy question.
    cranium2001

Yes. I run my PS3 wireless now because it's near the router. I run my xbox wired because it's right below my router on the next floor. I used to run the PS3 wired on the same router.

opb81

Thanks, i just wanted to be sure before i run out to get a cable today. Not sure why my tablet wont let me mark it as a question to give you the forum points, but thanks for the quick reply.

Not only can and should you run it as a wired connection but consider turning of the wireless function of the router or turning of (disconnecting from the internet) devices using the wireless connection.  Gaming speed is not necessarily dependant upon download speed as much as latency (packet transfer/ping rate).  Using a wired connection and ensuring other devices are not using internet at the same time can often help pretty significantly.

It is pretty easy to turn the wireless function of the modem/router on and off; it does not require much technical know-how

opb81

Well I set it up today ran some games with no other devices connected to the internet/router and nothing improved still getting disconected from the host and experience terrible lag. so I will just be putting the game down for a while and try again when the next batch of "improvements" come out.

I dont know what the heck happened, but sometime last week the connection went to hell. I have tried running solo, running in a party, different party hosts including myself nothing is working.