13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 4:06 PM by februarystars81 RSS

Cant afford Turtle Beach try this

NiteFalken

Want to sound whore? Cant afford Turtle Beach? Almost every TV has a headphone jack. Some even conviently placed on the front. Take your MP3 player headphones. Go to Wallmart, Radioshack, ETC. and buy a 1/4 inch stereo headphone extension line 6ft cable costs 10 dollars at Walmart . Plug into headphone jack.

To hear voice comms set your Xbox to play voice through headset and speakers. Take wireless headset and tie it to the headphone lead close to neck or depending on the ear pieces you can use the wireless mic as designed and just turn adjust the volume to hear and not have to set your Xbox to play voice throuhg speakers. Another option is to use the wired mic and drape it around neck. Instant poor mans sound whoring rig.

Now hurry up and start enjoying the beauty that is Sit Rep Pro

• Re: Cant afford Turtle Beach try this
    JoshFox

Sound whoring is cheating in my opinion.

JBurn244

I have a $40 Turtle Beach set and it works just fine. You can find them on eBay for less than that. Don't have to drop $100 or have "7.1" to get good sound. The ones I have isolate sound relatively well and I can hear footsteps pretty easily without Dead Silence on. I think they are the XL1 model.

And taking steps to hear the game as it was intended it be heard is cheating? How exploitative of me. Oh, so those sounds are in the game for a reason, yet I'm just supposed to let the finer details (like footsteps) be lost to terrible TV speakers?

StubbornLeech07x

JBurn244 wrote:

And taking steps to hear the game as it was intended it be heard is cheating? How exploitative of me. Oh, so those sounds are in the game for a reason, yet I'm just supposed to let the finer details (like footsteps) be lost to terrible TV speakers?

So true.  By some peoples reasoning, I would be a cheater then,  even though I do not own or use headsets but instead play on a tv hooked up to 7.1 surround sound and can hear everything.  For me it has nothing to do with sound whoring, it just happens that the tv my xbox is hooked up to is the one that has the surround sound, plus it makes the game sound much better.  Although ever since someone on here mentioned the flies, I cannot stop hearing them at the beginning of games on certain maps.

This x1000000000000000000000000.

FrazerY

They aint really expensive just go on amazon get some x11s

TheHonch

Wow...i'm with the last few posters.  I own a pair of Turtle Beaches, and yeah the sound is tremendous.  Most people, like me, have them for a very practical reason.  For me, I like to play with a group of friends at night when my wife is sleeping.  This way I can keep playing and she doesn't have to be woken up by gunshots from the TV all night.

Equating Turtle Beaches to cheating is beyond stupid, calling everyone who has them "sound whores" is moronic.  What's next, people with 70 inch LEDs are "eye whores" because they can see pixels more then someone with a 32 inch?

C'mon...

NiteFalken

Im with you TheHonch. I use my headsets to keep my wife sane. Otherwise she would not let me play at all. But the argument that using them is cheating is rediculous.

To those who think SitRep Pro is cheap your logic is flawed. If you chose not to use an available tool at your disposal to do a job, thats a personal choice, and not something that needs to be adjusted so a different tool you like is more effective. Its like competing in a Moto GP race and telling Suzuki and Yamaha they need to slow their bikes down because your Harley cant keep up. I was a die hard dead silence user and it was on the majority of my classes. This has changed and although I still use dead silence if I see alot of kill cams with Sit Rep Pro I change playstyle and class to remain competitive.

Still the reason for this post was to give those who argue that they are at a disadvantage "because they cant spend alot of money" a cheap viable solution. Its not foolproof and some may run into TVs without headphone jacks. However if one is available it will work and I would be willing to bet after playing without the ambient houshold noise distractions they will never want to go back.

nicedrewishfela

Using a cue built into the game is hardly cheating. There are multiple ways to identify enemies in this game. For me, my eyesight isn't all that great, so players have a spot advantage over me. I like my Trittons because I can hear the directional sound. I don't sit around waiting, but guess what.. if I hear you coming from my left, why shouldn't I turn that direction?

The point is pretty moot on team matches. There is so much ambient sound its hard to differentiate footsteps from the explosions and teammates running around, but it can be a great tool in slower paced maps or 1v1s.

As for the OP, I commend your ingenuity. He is just making the point that while not everyone has room in the budget for expensive headsets, there are less expensive ways to get similar results.

februarystars81

People are always going to find something to moan about, "soundwhoring" is just one of them. find it ridiculous anyone classes this as cheating