28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 3:40 PM by ap0stl3 RSS

Cheap Kill vs Legit Kill

KTPhoenix

I have seen on this forum many times, threads talking about either dying by cheap tactics or getting legit kills using a certain weapon. So i will pose a rhetorical question:

What is the difference between a *cheap* kill and a *legit* kill?........Answer: NOTHING

The reason i say there is no difference between the two is because the way i see it, a kill is a kill. People are attacking the kill when its not the actual kill they are talking about, its the way in which they get the kill that makes it *legit* or *cheap*. When people say *cheap* kill, they imply that it was an easy kill and no one should be able to get kills that easily and most people think of that kill as not being fair. In fact, a lot of people actually make it sound like its borderline cheating in most cases. When people say *legit* kill, they imply that everything was straight up and nothing fishy was going on and it was a clean kill.

The thing is, there is no difference between a *cheap* kill and a *legit* kill. As i said before, a kill is a kill. The ONLY way that a kill would NOT be *legit* is if someone were cheating.

The most popular *cheap* kill is the grenade launcher kill. what is cheap about it? its just an explosive, like C4 and grenades. but since MW2, people have been acting like its taboo. as opposed to say the AK47, where people shoot bullets and kill their opponent. Yet they say getting a kill with the GL takes little to no skill and is therefore cheap, whereas getting a kill with the AK47 takes skill and is therefore legit. The only difference between these two weapons is that 1 is an explosive and can get multiple kills at once and the other uses bullets and cant get multikills except in rare circumstances. So why say the GL is cheap? just because it can get multiple kills at once and can shoot it across the map to get a kill? You can do the same thing with an RPG but no one ever complains about that. And i dont want people who read this to think this thread is about me defending the GL or anything, its not. Its just that the GL is the most popular *cheap* kill topic. I dont know much about the FMG9 thing so i am not saying anything about it.

The point is, there is no difference between a *cheap* kill and a *legit* kill (unless someone is actually cheating). Players only started saying that because they were getting mad at how they die and how often they die by whatever it is they were getting killed by. Stop creating all this drama over something that doesnt matter. This is part of the reason why the community is torn in so many ways.

So many groups of players have their own idea of what is *cheap* and what it *legit*. So with all these conflicting views and the mentality that there IS a difference, one could pose a question such as "If the whole community is torn apart with each group having its own opinion on what is *cheap* and what is *legit*, then what is the REAL difference between *cheap* and *legit*?"

• Re: Cheap Kill vs Legit Kill

Pretend the devs won't make the game ranked because they would have to address certain tactics, play deficiencies, and balance issues.  Those are the cheap kills.

oooCHRISPYooo

I agree with you man. I use what ever the in game play offers to get kills and win. I'm not very good at COD MW3 I just have a lot of time put in hahha, so if I were to follow all the "made up rules" that the COD fans seem to make up expect other gamers to follow I would still be on my first prestige. Shotguns are in the game...so I use em. Support streaks are in the game...so I use em. If its givin to us by the makers of the game than use em. Boosting, hacks, lag ect. are the only cheap kills.

ctrl-s

A cheap kill is any kill you get using a borrowed copy of the game.

A legit kill is any kill you get using a purchased copy of the game.

LL

Me being a pistol user I always find it cheap when someone kills me with a secondary SMG, probably because I'm hopeless with my Deagle (200 kills using it non stop for 4 prestiges) and everyone else bring out the Scorpion or whatever then kills me but tbh its not really cheap, its just the way MW2 and MW3 players roll.

DaRyuujin

I'm sorry but somebody who spends an entire match sitting in a corner with silenced MP7 rapid fire with a portable running Blind eye Assassian and dead silence is getting cheap kills I don''t care what anybody says about it thats how I see stuff like that. Just like people who spawn trap in DOM to the point that the other team spawns and dies w/i one second thats cheap kills. It has nothing to do with what I die by most (atleast for me) its the fact that some people use cheap tatics to get their kills, its like that one kid down the street that nobody wanted to play old school fighting games with cuz he would do nothing but crouch and puinch/kick repeadtly or do that one move none stop that dont even allow you to get close. In almost every multiplayer game there are cheap tatics that make it easy to get points/kills or what ever with nearly no effort or skill those are what I consider "cheap kills"

phxs72

Getting dropped in one bullet by a gun that can't kill in one bullet due to lag is a cheap kill but it's not the fault of the guy that shot you.  They really need to not lag com down the good signals so much. I was in a room last night with a one bar and lost 2 out of 3 gun fights but as soon as he left and we all had 3 bars, I went on a 10 killstreak.

CowboySr

Cheap kills- ones earned from death streaks.

Legit kills- the rest.

tracy

What about teamates sitting near enemy tacs just waiting for them to respawn, why not just destroy it and move on. It's annoying when playing objective games and they're just camping to get their killstreak up, that I'd call a cheap kill.

exactly...if you're good then campers and "cheap tactics" won't work against you...

KTPhoenix

this is my point. a lot of you are talking about stuff that annoys you and makes you mad. that is why i posed the hypothetical question as i will pose again:

If the general mentality sees a difference between cheap and legit, BUT every group has their own view on what *cheap* and *legit* is, then what is the true difference?

that is my main point. this community over the years has created so many different views on what is cheap and legit that it is clear why no one ever likes this game (yet we still play it) and can never agree with each other.

the problem with people is their ego. nobody wants to accept that they aren't as good as they think they are therefore they blame other aspects of the game for their failures instead of their own skill

This.  Just yesterday i was running with a group of guys i met, and before the game this dude was asking one of our guys about his clan and wanting to know about it. 65-34 later he was calling us cheaters, because he shot a rpg at me that hit the wall behind me, (i was vested) and didnt kill me allowing me to kill him.  Dont get me wrong, i was as red as all get out, but i lived.  People just cant take it.  I have opened up peoples CHESTS with strikers and died.  I do go oh give me a break, but i understand, im not the only person it happens to.

the problem with people is their ego. nobody wants to accept that they aren't as good as they think they are therefore they blame other aspects of the game for their failures instead of their own skill

nicedrewishfela

I think a lot of what you talk about in your OP is semantic, really.

I think what it comes down to for most of us is in the spirit of competition. If this were truly a war, we'd take the kill or the tactical advantage, as its about kill or be killed. But this is a game, most of us play it for the competition and fun, as well as for a challenge.

Lets take spawn killing, for example. I don't think anyone can argue thats not a "cheap" kill. You are exploiting something in game that your opponent can not control. Lets compare it to basketball. In theory, you could just stand under your basket and cherry pick the entire game. Never go on defense, just wait for your team to get the ball and chuck it down the floor to you, right? It may hurt your team having one less on defense.. but a basket is a basket, right?

I think the argument is more about tactics than kills. We all know how lag effects this game, how spawns effect this game, and how unbalanced weapons can effect this game. There are going to be kills that are inexplicable and maybe even unfair, its just the nature of the beast. But I think one would be hard-pressed to argue that sitting in a dark corner displays a sportsmanlike attitude towards competition. A kill is a kill though, right?

ap0stl3

Only thing about the basketball analogy is you would be putting yourself in position to lose because your defense would be down a person.  Usually with spawn killing, your team is completely dominant and will win easily.  Not the same thing buddy.  And yes, I can argue that spawn killing is not cheap.  I play to win.  That is my challenge.  To win and win efficiently.  If I can do it in a way that's not cheating, it will be done.

nicedrewishfela

Its still a "cheap" kill. Why? Because your opponent is helpless to defend against it. It can be debated to the ends of the earth whether its a legitimate tactic or not, not  for me to decide. 

ap0stl3

Using your logic, I could say that me killing someone with a .2 k/d is a cheap kill, because I'm so much better than them and they really have no chance to kill me.  But I don't.  Because there's always that off chance that they could kill me, be it lucky or not.  Same thing with spawn killing.  You can argue with me all you want, but getting out of a spawn killing trap is not IMPOSSIBLE.   Also, if a team of 4.0 k/d players play a team of .2 k/d players, would you say that every kill the 4.0 k/d players get is cheap?  Because the .2 players obviously have no chance to win.

nicedrewishfela

I think you are missing the point. I am not talking about a Spawn Trap. A Spawn Trap is something an entire team does, trapping a team in a particular spawn after capturing objectives. I am talking about someone sitting and watching one particular spawn point, shooting the enemy as soon as they appear.

And your argument is faulty. Even though someone has a lower K/D, they still have the same chance as you in a  fair gunfight. Being the more gifted of the two may give you the advantage, but they still have the chance. K/D is irrelevant when being spawn killed.

ap0stl3

I have never been "spawn killed" per se, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.  But I was under the impression (and most spawn killings I've seen on youtube) happen when a person is watching a spawn point from a considerable distance.  They shoot as the enemy spawns correct?  Is it not possible, however small the chance, to jump out of the way as soon as you spawn?  If not, I stand corrected.  By the way, I've never watched a spawn point to spawn kill nor been killed by someone watching a spawn point, so it doesn't bother me either way.

And as far as k/d being irrelevant in spawn killing, I somewhat disagree.  While I conceed that k/d doesn't tell you everything, it does give you an idea on how good a player is (apart from dashboarders, etc.)  And I thought that in order to get spawn killed over and over again, the other team has to be spread out and have the proper map control to get you to spawn in that spot over and over again.  So if your team is relatively good all around, you shouldn't be able to get pushed back far enough to be spawn killed correct?  That's how I see k/d being somewhat related to spawn killing.  If you are good, you shouldn't be able to be pushed back into a spawn killing point. 

If any of this is incorrect, let me know.

nicedrewishfela

No, I think you are right for the most part. Spawn trapping usually takes a coordinated team effort. While its not a feature of the game I am crazy about.. its there and if teams can do it effectively, well more power to em, I guess.

Never been spawn killed? Play Aground in Face Off lol You are right, if it happens more than once a good player can sometimes get out of it. But if the game puts you into the map into someone's crosshairs, its hard for even the best player to react quickly enough to avoid the death. My point with it is, the spawn killer is exploiting something their enemy has no power over.

ap0stl3

Ok.  Yeah I've played Face-Off in Aground.  And I'll agree the spawns in that can be sorta iffy.  Whether it's by the rock wall or over by the anchor. You can easily get spawn trapped in that if you're not careful. But if usually if I get stuck in the same spawn and keep getting killed, my teammates can usually distract enough to allow me to get out of the  spawn.  All I play is 2v2 or 3v3 in Face-off though.  Maybe it's a lot worse in 1v1. 

vims1990

Question: Cheap or Legit Kill?