13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 7:21 AM by Aecetym RSS

Balancing weapons

ghamorra

It gets boring only having a few weapons to pick from in CoD because so many of the available options are incredibly outclassed. Unless your a CoD enthusist chances are you're only going to try out each weapon a handful of times before you pick your weapon of choice and use it for the life of the game. Over the course of the last week I find (and this is no exageration) that 70-80% of players use the ACR and MP7.

SMGs for the most part dominant arsenals everywhere, mainly because of how universal they are. Something I hope Black Ops II does to counter this is not allowing early unlock of weapons and forcing player to try different options. Second I'd like to see some noticeable balance to the each weapon's performance so that there's at least some desire to use every weapon in the game. This includes severely nerfing aspects of SMGs and ARs to make them more specialized in one particular combat situation and not becoming an all purpose gun

The third and most important is matching perks and attatchments carefully so that players aren't building super classes around the weapon. Perks and Att should be built around a playstyle not a weapon. Adjust challenges so that players who use a variety of weapons are rewarded and not hurt because they're not spending the time getting 1000 kills to unlock Variable Zoom, but rather give extra weapon XP because they're accuracy for the game was 80%. With the 3.0 create a class system I'm hoping that acheivements give points to unlock certain attachments on weapons and not being handed gifts simply because that's the only weapon they use [Perfectionist challenge for Snipers give you 5 custmization points for Sniper Rifles]

The purpose of challenges and achievements is to get players to try different strategies and combinations. I feel the incentive isn't their to make players want to do that

• Re: Balancing weapons

It's highly likely that Black Ops 2 will have weapons analogous to those featured in previous titles, for example:

A burst fire AR.

A semi-auto AR.

A high ROF AR with low damage.

A low ROF AR with high damage.

The formula remains constant regardless of timeline, but as you say the key will be balancing - giving each type strengths AND weaknesses. For weapons which blur the line between classes such as the MP7 and dare I say the FAMAS, this becomes more tricky however.

ghamorra

I understand that some people like having a multipurpose weapon, but most of those (FAMAS/MP7) have too much going for them and are 'Good' in every catagory. They should, at best, be 'moderate' in most and 'good' in few

-pictureframe-

In Black Ops there were a lot of SMGs that were mediocre at best. The Kiparis, the PM63, the Mac11, the Skorpion, just to name a few. They all had around 20 bullets each and thirty with an extended mag. These guns had their moments but they were far less superior than the MP5 or the MPL. I'd like to see Treyarch put some effort into making all guns powerful enough to rival each other - but without making them perform exactly similar.

ChestSplittah

Agreed. Those low class SMGs that you stated seemed as if they were Machine Pistols compared tongue others at times. Though I do hope they actually leave Machine Pistols out of the game and focus on Primary weapon balance. Last year had clear and present problems, hopefully with all the new help acquired within the past year or so, they have had enough "hand on deck" to achieve and finish the game this time around.

ghamorra

Black Ops SMGs for the most part weren't all that good, but a few had some serious advantages, the AK74u was an AR in an SMGs body

avengedyesterday

ghamorra wrote:

Black Ops SMGs for the most part weren't all that good, but a few had some serious advantages, the AK74u was an AR in an SMGs body

Actually the SMG's were great in blackops but they actually worked like SMG's, well besides the Ak74u. The damage really dropped off on them at medium to long range not to mention high recoil. Mp5k and MPL were beast mode.

I do agree there shouldn't be a one gun fits all balancing act which is the main reason i'm not a fan of proficencies.

ghamorra

Black Ops did the best job with the SMGs, what I meant by they weren't good is that I didn't really see a point in using them. They weren't very effective in any situation besides CQC which is how it should be. I'm a long range player and value the damage and accuracy, so if an SMG fits my playstyle chances are it shouldn't be considered an SMG

avengedyesterday

ghamorra wrote:

Black Ops did the best job with the SMGs, what I meant by they weren't good is that I didn't really see a point in using them. They weren't very effective in any situation besides CQC which is how it should be. I'm a long range player and value the damage and accuracy, so if an SMG fits my playstyle chances are it shouldn't be considered an SMG

Oh I agree and that's one thing I liked about blackops. You could play very aggressive up close and personal on pretty much all the maps with an SMG. Or you could hang back a little bit and do just as well with an assault riffle both had clear advantages and disadvantages which is something that really was blured in MW3.

ghamorra

There's only two guns I ever see, MP7 and ACR. They both do whatever you need them to do and do it better than any other gun. Why use anything else

ChestSplittah

The MP7 came off a little too much like the UMP in MW2. I hope they truly deal out some gun balance this time around.

Aecetym

I would love to see them finally fix the overuse of guns. U can't make a game with a few guns that maybe are in reallife great and with almost no recoil and all the rest some proto-type guns that can't be used cause the fail again and again against other guns.

They better come up with some great guns that each have there advantages but are ballanced enough that they may suck at surtain moments but are great at others.

Normally I'm against nerving a gun totally, but they should nerf the ACR, MP7, PP90, P90 and all the akimbo secondairy guns to the point u can't use them anymore. Also make the snipers 2 hits 1 kill except headschots and neck. That way the remaining 70% of the guns will finally be seen ingame.

vims1990

Since COD4, each COD title has had it's dominant/most used weapon from each class. I'm only going to use SMG's as an example:

COD4: MP5

WAW: MP40

MW2: UMP 45

Black Ops: AK-74u

MW3: MP7

I'm probably going to get some negativity but I believe MW2 had the best weapon balance. It wasn't perfect but it was the best. What ruined MW2 was perk balance.

Shotguns were great in MW2 despite the fact that they were secondaries, not primaries.

LMG's were great to use as well.

I hated MW2 for it's unbalanced perks & exploits but compared to the rest of the other COD titles, it had the best weapon balance.

In Black Ops there were a lot of SMGs that were mediocre at best. The Kiparis, the PM63, the Mac11, the Skorpion, just to name a few. They all had around 20 bullets each and thirty with an extended mag. These guns had their moments but they were far less superior than the MP5 or the MPL. I'd like to see Treyarch put some effort into making all guns powerful enough to rival each other - but without making them perform exactly similar.

I agree.

There too many obsolete SMG's in Black Ops especially with the 20 bullet SMG's.

ChestSplittah

Indeed. Best weapon balance and variety. Variety comes after the fact that if you can make use of guns, even with their different aspects, then you have some form of balance. MW3 has variety, yet we cannot tell if there is any balance issues solid to the crappy way the game plays online. Barring shotguns, I really haven't tried any, nor will I due to the game playing crappy.