13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 9:36 AM by -CrazyMoFo- RSS

@pcdev Regarding Servers

wierd worlds are these

PCDev,

Can you inform us if the Ranked Dedicated Server's that you have confirmed will be in Black Op's 2 will be locked down to a single server provider again or not?

Can you inform us if they will grant us the option's to change the score limit/time limit of each gametype so that if we want a 20 minute, long TDM game we can run it or if we want a game that is to a 30,000 point limit with no time limit can we do it?

Can we run servers with different gametypes for different map's in a single rotation without the need for 3rd party Rcon tool's?

Will the server files be public and linux based as well as windows based?

Can we run 32 player servers (just right) or are they locked down to 18 players (to small) again

The whole reason as to why I am asking about them being locked down to a single provider is that the last provider, gamservers.com could not cope with the demand and the servers were always failing for people in the UK atleast not sure about other countries, in that I rented a server from them in London England and when the server had more than 12 players on it, the server would crash and then it would take approx 15 minutes to come back up and then it would be laggy as hell.

I know some pc gamers would like to set a score or time limit of there choice for different gametypes, which could not be done with Black Op's because apparently the dev's wanted us to all have the same experience when playing the game but that is not the reason behind dedicated servers, the reason behind them in my mind is that they allow us to run the server how we want it with no lag.

Most pc gamers would like the option to run 1 map as tdm, 1 map as ffa and then another map as s&d etc now as standard you couldn't do that with Black Op's instead you had to download a 3rd party Rcon tool to setup custom playlist, so will Black Op's 2 allow us to run our servers like that or will we again need a 3rd party Rcon tool.

The whole reason we were told as to why the server files for Black Op's were not made public was to stop cheat's being made, but there was cheat's still made for the game now I suspect the only reason they were not made public was due to the deal with the single server provider, but this time can we have public server files so that if we have our own dedicated server box in a data center somewhere then we can load the files on there and use a box we already have without the need, for renting a server from another provider.

Player count is just something that some people like to be high and some like it to be low, but we should atleast have the option to run them at up to 32 players unless of course the map's are going to be made so small that even 6 players on at the same time will make them over crowded.

• Re: @pcdev Regarding Servers

+1

These are all valid questions; that NEED to be answered, before we decide to buy.

We will not be fooled again, we know you're not to stupid to make plain and concise statements.

Plain and simple, if you don't give us plain simple documentation (before release) we will not buy your product, or any Ativsion product, again, EVER.

and we're not talking about incoherent tweets; we're talking actual documentation; the kind that would be expected from any reputable company.

These are the Quetions, we NEED answered, before we even THINK about buying your product.

Will there be dedicated servers? yes, or no. aswered: Yes

If yes: will they be ranked? yes, or no. Answered: Yes

Will they be tied to an exclusive GSP? yes, or no.

will there be FTP access? yes or no.

What will be the Max_player slots?

Will the server file be accessible? yes or no.

Will dvars be locked? yes or no.

If so which dvars will be locked?

Will the servers generate logs? yes or no.

If yes What events will be logged?

Only 8 more to go Treyach: please aswer these question: And restore our faith in you

Poison_pawn PCO

matuzz

All I want to know is will there be lag compensation (everyone has the same ping)?

-CrazyMoFo-

matuzz wrote:

All I want to know is will there be lag compensation (everyone has the same ping)?

With proper dedicated servers everyone is playing with around the same ping (between 30-100) with a few stragglers that hit between 100-150 ping, and anyone over 150 is autokicked...

"Lag Compensation" is ONLY needed on P2P matchmaking, where you can (and often will) have 1/2 the room with full green signal (less than 100 ping) and the other 1/2 being yellow/red signals (more than 300 ping)

-Proper dedicated servers = common range of about 50ms ping between players...

- vs -

-P2P matchmaking = common range of about 200ms ping between players...

That said, I personally no longer care at this point what they say BO2 will or will not have. Activision has shown that they have a common corporate policy to lie to the customers. (and Treyarch is a part of Activision) Thus I will be waiting until after release so I can know for a 100% FACT what features/capabilities the game does or does not have.

They could answer every single one of pawn's questions with the answers we want to hear, making them well documented etc. Then decide at the last second to lock a bunch of stuff down, or scrap dedi's for the rumored "Treynet" they've supposedly been working on.  (iirc ranked dedi's were "confirmed" for MW2 and look what happened)

Sad part is if Treyarch hadn't been caught red handed with their "a beta would take 4 years to get ready" bold faced LIE!! I would be perfectly willing to believe anything they said prior to launch (because they didn't outright lie to us repeatedly over Black Ops 1)

matuzz

But in Black Ops EVERYONE had EXACTLY the same ping.

That is NOT NORMAL for dedicated servers.

There is no match in Black Ops where at one point this wouldn't happen that everyone has the same ping.

-CrazyMoFo-

matuzz wrote:

There is no match in Black Ops where at one point this wouldn't happen that everyone has the same ping.

Uhh you are aware of the fact that in BO when you are dead, your ping shows the exact same as whoever you are spectating right?

Just curious, because that is the only time I have ever seen multiple people with the EXACT same ping (let alone the entire room) and it doesn't interfere in the gameplay or the server in any way shape or form.

matuzz wrote:

Man I wish that where true...lol

then there would be no need to LIMIT the max_ping.

(its simple quantum physics, there's no way around it; time can not be altered)

like Crazy said look at you ping when you are alive, when you're dead you will see the ping of the one you're spectating

Every cod game has lag compensation, it's the engine. But in Black Ops it was very weird and things like this happened to me many times.

I just hope this doesn't happen anymore on Black Ops 2.

LostFaith wrote:

Every cod game has lag compensation, it's the engine. But in Black Ops it was very weird and things like this happened to me many times.

Not until COD4: And even that is an option the can be disabled by the admin (again choice is the issue)

funny thing is since cod4, they owe a lot of people an apology; most of the hacks...er...um "perks" including "timenudge" (lag comp) would have gotten us PB banned.

kawz

LostFaith wrote:

<video>

That'll never be fixed.  It's been present in every CoD, and every other FPS since the dawn of time.  There's so many factors that go into who kills who first.  Lag, latency, you're shooting at him and he's shooting at you, and the hitboxes are all over the place.  I'm sure there's more stuff at play, but they are unknown variables coming from everyone in the game, and in real time.  The game is constantly calculating what's happening and who's hit who where and when.  There isn't some magic super duper algorithm that's going to fix this.  There's just too many variables and unknown's in the mix.  It's nearly impossible for a coder to work with, and allow for the unknown.  You simply don't know what you don't know. 

With that said however, the people who do make these games are the very best at what they do.  i.e.  The people are playing and think OMG laaaaaaag the coders suck at everything.  Well, the truth is if you replaced them with some other random coders they wouldn't do any better.  They'd still have the same problems, and they are problems that don't have answers. 

Are some better than others at optimizing network / multiplayer engine code?, you bet there is.  I'd be willing to bet that the people who are the best at this type of stuff, are already employed by those companies that make these games.  Now of course they're always looking for new talent, but there's a reason the game makers have jobs making games.  It's because they're good at it.  Have a look at the job requirements to work on games like this some day.  They don't hire nitwits.

alphatt

This was a big issue with the UK servers I remember. Netherlands, denmark and especially german as well as US servers were flawless.

wierd worlds are these

Yep I had a issue with mine where if more than 12 players were on it, it would lag and then crash and it was all to do with the fact that Gameservers.com were overloading the servers and not providing enough bandwidth to each one, as well as the server files being almost useless.

I am just hoping they make the server files public and don't lock it down the same as they did with Black Op's.

whatabeer

I somewhat miss the 30 000 games, now it's stuck at 10 000 ( when i'm just warming up )

-CrazyMoFo-

bump

we still need to know EXACTLY what type of "ranked dedicated servers" we will be getting.

We saw with MW3 what Activision considers to be "dedicated servers"

What they've confirmed as "ranked dedicated servers" could in fact be their version of IWNet (the rumored Treynet) and they could just be using some technical reference to call them "dedicated servers"  (in the same way they consider P2P lobbies to be "servers")

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit with the crap Activision has pulled over the years.