28 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 4:01 PM by ChestSplittah RSS

Please Help Me Understand

azn_chic

Saw this on Mark Rubin's Twitter feed today...I really do not understand what the difference is? Anyone know? Thoughts? Help me understand please.

https://twitter.com/IWMarkRubin/status/219847512016699393

• Re: Please Help Me Understand
    monkeylord

Maybe he thinks like a trap it's sprung fast so like on village when you storm up that corridor by the burnt out car and catch three or four people spawning in thats a spawn trap but if you spend the entire match sitting on the spawn you're camping so spawn camp.

Not saying thats what it is just an idea.

TheBeastlyDude

Spawn Trapping is keeping the other team in one area like at the church on Bakaara or the bar on Arkaden.

Spawn Killing is keeping a Line of Sight on the area where a player spawns so that as soon as they spawn, you kill them. Like on DOM, you can see A flag from your spot and the other team keeps spawning there and you just mow them down.

Nuk1014

I believe spawn trapping is like those good old Black Ops Demolition days. You know, the ones where people would sit directly in front of a spawn point and kill you as soon as you spawn?

Spawn Camping is when, like he said, you take two flags on Domination and trap them at the other one. Spawn trapping is when you're whole team are at certain spots, killing people as soon as they spawn. that's how they got those unbelievable scores on Black Ops, such as 501-8. It's on youtube if you look it up.

the_murf53

Spawn trapping isnt really 100% bad if its done fairly.  If the other team has a chance of getting out of their spawn then it's okay.  It's not fair when the other team has 0 chance of getting out of their spawn which is borderline spawn killing.  I've been in matches of dom in black ops where my team has been spawn trapped but we get out of it because the other team was giving us the chance to get out of it instead of closing the gap completely.  Then you have the douchebag teams who give you no chance whatsoever and it becomes completely frustrating and borderline cheating/spawn killing.  I just repeated the same thing twice pretty much.... 

Did you ever see the mw2 video, domination on favela? Where a team locked the spawn down to the point where the enemy spawned and instantly was getting shot by a guy with a RPD.

I'd say this was the extreme spawn trapping.

And spawn camping i'd say is like when you play dome, you can often hang by the two humvee's next to the blue netting/tarpooling...you can aim over to the building and the guys would come out of there after spawning inside

I suppose the difference is...one you cant avoid dying, but the other you can and are able to fight your way out of.

azn_chic

Thanks! I'll look for that vid on youtube. I guess, i just find this as a "gray" area issue. Some would say that in a situation they could have avoided getting killed right after spawning, but someone else in that same situation could say that it wasn't avoidable...

the  bloke is an idiot same thing.

opb81

Spawn killing is essential sitting on a static spawn like those found in sabotage ctf and killing the enemy as they spawn giving them no real chance to fight back. Some may look at spawn killing and spawn trapping the same, but when i think of spawn trapping the best example i can think of is domination on interchange and having you team hold b and c while covering the 3 exits from the a flag the other team basically gets trapped in the back corner there and they only have limited and narrow paths they can come from so many clans will just sit back and cover those 3 paths for easy kills. While I think doing my definition of spawn trapping is cheap, it is ok to do and not get reset, however people have been reset for what i described as spawn killing.

I put two videos below as you can see in both they refer to it as spawn trapping in the videos themselves but IMO they are two completly different things as the first video the players have zero chance to make it out of the spawn the second video shows flaws in the game spawns and map design along with finding a lobby where players are bad and cannot figure out how to fight their way out of a bad spawn situation.

opb81

Ok had to fire up the laptop for this since I still have not figured out how to link videos on my tablet.

Here is a prime example of what I call spawn killing this is the one i described that I found on youtube. If it is not clear this is not me as I do not condone this at all. 

Spawn trapping: here is the best example I could find. In this they used my example of interchange controlling b and c while not pushing too far back into the a spawn causing a flip. Again a cheap way to play but a common tactic in domintation especially on interchange, village, and hardhat controll 2 flags and you can keep the enemy spawning in one area thus controlling the game easily 

azn_chic

That first video was crazy. I can't believe those people actually stayed in the game! So the top vid is a No-No and the bottom vid is OKAY?

opb81

Essentially yes, holding 2 flags and defending along with controlling the map is ok even if this is the result. It is still a great example of poor spawns and map design on certain maps. but in cases like video 2 at least it is possible for the team to fight their way out of it unlike video one. Spawn killing is not as common in domination, tdm, kc, demo now because of the spawn system, still possible on some maps but not common. The demo spawns were changed because of videos like the 1st one.

This is the sort of thing i meant by my description...these videos are a better demonstrator though!

azn_chic

I just wish the spawn system wasn't set in concrete so that these issues could be avoidable I guess that's too difficult to program? I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if avoiding this issue is actually possible?

ghamorra

I would say spawn trapping in okay, but there's a fine line. In DOM it's tolerable because spawn trapping can be done simply by trying to defend two flags. It's sometimes essential to spawn trap to win. Like in CTF trapping the enemy in their spawn as a way to cover the flag runner is ok to an extent, as long as you give them a fair chance to defend themselves

Spawn killing is just plain wrong. In Dome, you can sit in a corner and watch as one or more people spawn right in your sites, even after you spray them down there's still a good chance they'll respawn in the same spot again. On Hardhat I spawned in front of a guy who sat in place and knifed me without even moving, TWICE in a row. That might as well be considered boosting.

Regardless of what method you do don't expect a praise from me though if you get a MOAB doing any of the such. Because both methods earn you cheap kills and cheap win

azn_chic

I do no such thing, nor do I plan on doing it in the future. Never got a MOAB in my life and I'm not really itching to get one. The reason I started the thread was because I was surprised that dude, mark rubin, made it sound like one was ok while the other was not. I always thought that both were wrong.

I've been situtations were I got killed right as I spawned, after I got killed killed 3 times spawning at the same point, I just left the game. I hate to rage quit, but I hate not even having the chance to leave my spawn before I get killed more.

ChestSplittah

Actually. Spawn Trapping in Dom isn't wrong. Nor do I care if someone says that it is. If they want to be let out...they need to reach out to the better team and ask for mercy. I have been known to accommodate the sub par competition. For my own purposes of course.

ChestSplittah

Spawn Trapping is simply trapping people in the area they control and spawn out of. As in Dom Terminal. If you have C and B, they will usually jus spawn in Dreams or behind it. As long as no one triggers the spawn into moving.