27 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 1:02 PM by monkeylord RSS

What do you consider an average to above average player

mdm123456789

Discuss........

• Re: What do you consider an average to above average player

Anyone with a k/d between 1-2 is average to above average IMO, or someone with below 1 k/d that plays the objective and has team work I'd consider average - above average as well.

Based on a K/d, average would surely suggest a K/d of 1...as there can't be more players above 1 than there is also below 1.

ctrl-s

good players think & adapt

Unfourtunately you cannot base how a player is based on their KDR. It is flawed, and easily manipulated. I could sit in a corner and hide all game long go 1-0. Eventually my KDR would be through the roof.

Maybe by looking at their average score may be a better indicator. I guess if its low, it would show more of what you do during a game, but again that could be flawed also. Its not easy in this game to determine it without actually watching someone play.

But then it will vary by play style. Many think camping is a noob thing to do. Maybe staring at a door all game is, but if you are sniping and getting atleast 10 kills a game (non-objective based) Then you are probably doing pretty well. If you are run n gun maybe 15 kills per game. Of course dying just as many times or more is not helping out the team.

But that brings up another debate, objective versus non-objective game modes. What may be considered doing well in a non-objective game mode, may not be considered doing to well in an onjective based game mode, and vice versa.

Score per minute may be the best indicator I guess, but you can't see that on the game ( I think). It shows it in elite

IMO

A good player- someone who plays the objective and wins with a positive kd

A bad player- someone who plays for kills and loses with a positive kd

KD doesn't make a person good. There are too many aspects that make kd inaccurate. A person can leave when doing horrible so they don't mess up their kd, they can camp and get kills that way, they can boost, only use 1 gun/setup.

JPE777

The best single stat Ive seen to detmine a players ability is Score Per Minute (SPM).

And even that is only about 70% reliable. (To give some context, KDR is about 35-40% reliable.)

On a slight tangent, I've played enough games now that I can actually tell how good a team mate is purely by seeing how his triangle moves on the mini map.

In truth, simple stats are largely worthless in CoD these days to determine ability. So many things create "noise" in their results (for example, the level of rage-quitting is laughably ridiculous - and yes, I am talking to you who is reading this... if "ragequitting rates" were public information, a huge amount of players would be shamed into ever entering the discussion.)

But alas, we live in a world where the community worships the youtube domination ground war killwhores (regardless of result) and everyone operates and views things on a perverse perspective of "greatness."

"You'd rather look good and lose then look bad and win."

vims1990

mdm123456789 wrote:

Discuss........

Are you basing the "average" to "above average" player on statistics or play style?

Snipingdbag

Someone above average will generally dropshot & strafe in gun fight, aim fast and use cover to his advantage while moving around, constantly pre-adsing too . Someone average generally plays slower. I had a lot of fun watching below average players play black ops in theater..

sennalike

Average players are the ones I kill.  Above average are the ones who kill me.  I guess that puts me somewhere in between the two.

ghamorra

Sadly, you can't determine a players skill in MW3 accurately. I've seen people with under 1 K/Ds get a MOAB one game and put up the most pitiful numbers the next because of how lag effects them game to game

What I would consider a good player though is situational awareness and map management. Being able to control a map is key understanding players tendencies and knowing where the enemy is even if they don't appear on radar seperates a average player form the rest

Anyone with half a brain. There's surprisingly few when it comes to COD.

Datura

The above average players tend to be individuals who have played a previous COD heavily, soundwhore, play via a monitor and have a connection advantage. These factors dont make a great player, but theyll make you above average.

rlbl

Below Average to Average players:

Play bad.

They sit too long in a spot for no reason

The stop in doorways

They look at objectives instead of claiming them

They keep running the same way and getting killed over and over

They may defend, but do not have the smarts to look in a different direction

They run in your line of fire, and don't shoot getting you both killed

etc...

Above average players

Play better to well.

They Cap

They Defend

They check corners looking for bad players

They move around the map with situational awareness

They are not worried about the K/D in objective modes

They strive for a positive K/D in non-objective game modes

Basically, they do not do what bad players do, and are aware that there are bad players out there and take advantage of it.

No Stat in this game has any bearing on a players abilities given the connections. Even if the connections were perfect, stats only become relevant in the context of the game mode they are playing (even SPM).  Because stats are so transparent and readily available, people are more concerned with their stats (and posting game playing on youtube) than actually playing sometimes...

monkeylord

Leaderboard stats, SPM and KD are useless seperate but put them together and you get a good feel for how well someone plays. Also accolades reveal a players strengths but you can't see them unless they're on your friend list.

Izjar11

From experience we all know when were dealing with a poor / decent / good player when playing the game. We recognize them, we either avoid them or add them to our PSN.

Stats tell you so much but they can be a good indication of how they play before the game starts.

BanHaMMer

To me a "Team player" is an above average player. Stats are irrelavent, as someone that will fight "tooth and nail" for an objective may have a poor KD/R, but will inevitably in there own way via persistance win the game to some degree. I mean by that, they will play a unoticed crucial role when the game falls in your favour.

example: will protect a fellow team member who is in Final Stand, stay with him until he can get up and look after himself.

Izjar11

That last example: Though its a good one and your right, is a rare thing in this game. Unlike BOPs where you could revive them, standing near by is a character trait instead of skill trait.

But we all know when we deal with poor players we avoid them like the plague, I hate to admit it but if someone played or plays poorly and they are on my team I know it will be an uphill battle and if possible ill leave the game before it starts.

monkeylord

BanHaMMer wrote:

To me a "Team player" is an above average player. Stats are irrelavent, as someone that will fight "tooth and nail" for an objective may have a poor KD/R

Yeah and their other stats will show it as in SPM and whatever the objective is stat will also display it. Also above average would suggest they can both play the objective and finish in the positive across the board.

BanHaMMer wrote:

example: will protect a fellow team member who is in Final Stand, stay with him until he can get up and look after himself.

In objective modes this could end up hurting the team as instead of just one player out of action you now have 2.

People can refer to the stats as much as they want, but judging by comments every time I play, if someone is better than you they are better than average or a 'try-hard' (I know, we all love that term), if they are worse than you they suck and are a noob.  This isn't my opinion, this is just based on in-game comments I hear every day.

sennalike

Most of the time I get called a noob is when I beat someone; they use the term in anger and frustration to make up for their inadequacies.

monkeylord

dannytanner17 wrote:

People can refer to the stats as much as they want, but judging by comments every time I play, if someone is better than you they are better than average or a 'try-hard' (I know, we all love that term), if they are worse than you they suck and are a noob.  This isn't my opinion, this is just based on in-game comments I hear every day.

It's more a comination of stats that shows how someone plays someone who sits in a corner is gonna have a great KD but a sucky score so high KD+ low SPM = camper. It's even easier if you've got access to someone emblems.

If someone has logged in 100s of hours at HQ,KC or whatever mode you choose but has low number of the associated accolades for that mode then you've got someone below average.

Same goes for leaderboard if they're high up but with a meager amount of whatever objective the mode your playing is then they are below average.

I believe and average player has a K/D ratio of 1.00 or more and there points per game is over 1,000...this allows them to play and not sit in a corner...Above average would be 1.25 K/D ratio and 2,00 points per game...a great player would be 1.5 K/D ratio and 5,000 points per game....but most important they must play the objective...too many people sit back and pick people off and they don't help the team win...isn't that what this is all about?  Team work!

A good player dosnt care about stats they want to win. They read the game.

They protect you as your capping a flag. They run we're they think the enemy is coming from as your capping a flag as a line of defence they don't mind dying as long as you cap it.

They don't camp in 1 spot.

They don't follow you through doors or up stairs.

They don't go the same way as you. You both flank

They face the other way to you when capping flags.

They take out air support

They don't triple cap or cap the non b flag unless you can't get b

They don't keep running in to kill zones looking for revenge

They don't land 1 bullet then chase the guy around the corner

It's just being aware your on a team.

I played with a random today he was acting big because my team of randoms beat him. I said to him stop camping for your reaper and start capping flags lol

Anyway next game he's on my team it was a tough game by that I mean I wasn't able to rack up killstreaks as I was having to cap flags.

We won I had 35 kills 30 deaths this guy had 30 kills and 4 deaths.

He's like yeah my agm won us that lol

I just said km in first place with the most caps and 1000 more score than you lol that's a below average guy one that won't dig deep to win.

If I would of chilled more and got chopper agm ac130 by the time we both got our streaks we would of being losing 20-140 or summat lol