22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 8:38 PM by YO_MOM_IS_NEXT RSS

PS3 Wireless Gaming Headset - Are they any good?

I was thinking of buying the above and wondered if they are any good.?

Has anyone tried them out and have a good/bad report please.

• Re: PS3 Wireless Gaming Headset - Are they any good?

I might add that i am looking for a decent headset (not fussed with a mike) for playing this game without botering my wife

I do not have hundreds of dollars to spend so the PS3 official ones are about my max..$85-$90. If anyone has a better set for around there or less i would love to know too.

The PS3 bluetooth one? Is that what you are talking about? I have that one, gets the job done. For communication. But of you are looking for full sound capability ie Turtle Beach,  I hear are pretty good. I'm sure someone here would have more info on them, or others.

I own the PS3 Stereo Wireless Headset, and it hasn't let me down yet. It's the most simple headset to set up. Just plug in and use right away.

If you're looking for quality, I would go with the Turtle Beaches, but if you're lazy like me and don't like setting them up, I would go with this one.

ryanphillips wrote:

I own the PS3 Stereo Wireless Headset, and it hasn't let me down yet. It's the most simple headset to set up. Just plug in and use right away.

If you're looking for quality, I would go with the Turtle Beaches, but if you're lazy like me and don't like setting them up, I would go with this one.

Thank you.

I was trying to decide between the PS3 one or one from Turtle Beach for half the price. After reading this i am still torn between them but will likely go for the cheaper TB one.

The only differences between them ar that the PS3 one is wireless and surround sound (however i have heard this is not that great a sound), however the TB one has very good reviews and reportedly very good clarity.

I had the official PS3 one and the surround sound was awful. I don't know if I had a dud or not but it sounded like it was just in stereo to me. I ended up returning it for a turtle beach headset with the DSS surround sound thing. If you end up getting a turtle beach I highly reccomend an extended warranty because I think they tend to break VERY easily. I've barely used mine (got it for MW3 and have barely played it because of how terrible the lag issues are) and it is already cutting out on one ear.

The good thing about the DSS thing is that you can use any pair of stereo headphones with it for surround sound. I think you can buy the DSS separate for under 100 bucks these days.

genoneilsgc

I have used both, the only bad thing about the sony headset is the battery life.If you play for more than 8 to 10 hrs I would go with a wired set.The px5's are nice but $250 bucks. I mainly use the Px 21's because of the price $79. The DPX 21's at $149  are just the Px 21's with the dss suround sound, which is very good. Like markocc said they do have breakage issues, the turtle beaches.If you can solder, the cutting out in the ear is usually the left ear just from the wire right at the cup getting pinched and coming apart from taking on and off. But they can also have wire issues at the control part. The wires inside are very thin almost fiber like, but they can be resoldered if you cut off the bad part.  They can break at the ear pieces where they swivel also. That can be fixed with gorilla glue. For the price Turtle beaches are great, I would recommend them, and just say when you do use them just be careful to not twist the wire that goes from the control to the headset. Also some super glue where they swivel will help them not be under stress and break.

rlbl

(wall of text warning)

That is EXACTLY what happened to mine (they broke at the left ear piece). They still work but the left ear dangles. I was going to glue them back but then I thought that they would then be stationary and likely just break again.

So I went out and bought the PS3 wireless headset.

My analysis on them (after 1 day of use so take it with a grain of salt):

Sound:

With the virtual surround sound enabled the in-game sound is far better than the sound I was gtting with my TB DPX21s.  I can hear things I could not hear with the TBs, the sound direction is better and (if you care) the guns sound fantastic. PLease note that I may not have had the TBs adjusted properly with the DS vs the PX21's own extender (I tried both settings and fiddling around with for a while)

I did notice a small "hiss" when the game session loads, but it goes away when the game starts

Comfort:

I found the PS3 headset felt a little weird at 1st but I got used to them. What I noticed the most was that when I put them on, it cut out the sounds from the room better that the TBs so all I could hear is the game (which is good)

Chat:

I found lobby chat to be good, but when in game the game sound is so enhanced that I could not hear people chatting as well as the TBs. The PS3 as a rudimentary mixer level for Chat vs Game, but it does not mix as well as the TBs.

Hardware:

The mouth piece seems flimsy, so I am gonna be extra careful. Other than that, they seem more sturdy than the TBs but we shall see.

Final Conclusion:

The TBs are cheaper (PX21s as an example) and adding the DSS brings the price up past the PS3s. I (as many) always you pay for what you get.  Given that the DPX21s are really just the PX21s with a SS module, I would rate the PS3s higher than the TBs (and they are really only $20 more anyways)

If you want something good, I would go with Astros or maybe the higher end Trittons, but after doing some research and reading reviews I settled on the PS3s for the price... and the quality (sound and HW) was rated as good (acceptable).

Now that I have found the in-game sound to be much better than the TBs* I am glad I made this choice over fixing my TBs (which I may do, and give them to my nephew).

* If you do not turn on the Virtual Sound thing on the PS3s they will sound like the DPX21s with the PX21s Extender turned on. If the Virtual sound is on, they sound like the DPX21s setup properly, but better.

- but of course that is with my old ears after years playing very loud guitar music through my Traynor YBA-1, 1A and YSR-1s (and if youu do not know what those are... yeah that is how old I am)

rlbl

Yeah the A50s are the absolute bomb, but I figured considering my CoD career is almost over, I could not justify the cost (although they may prove useful in other FPS online games that may come out in the future)

They sound good but are vastly outside my price range as i noted above.

I have the sony wireless headset and love it. I'd say the only thing I dislike about it is that it's not built for people who wear glasses(yet I don't think any of them are so that point is invalid). The sound is awesome with the surround sound on(I always leave it on). I like how it has a lever for game vs chat. So If I feel people are talking too loud I can just lower the chat volume instead of muting them. It is very simply to setup, just plug it in. For only $100 it is great value. Oh, and for the ones that complained about battery life...get a longer cord even though the battery life is actually pretty good. I can play for a little over 7 hours and still have 2 bars left but if you want you can plug in the headset and play if you have a long enough cord. The light on the mic doesn't bother me. You can use the chat with the mic extended or not though.

If you're really looking to compare pricing on the various brands of headsets, check out http://www.gamegenics.com.

They've got a good variety of headsets and mice.

Dropshot935

I strongly recommend Sony's official wireless headset. Easy control, setup, and 7.1 surround sound for Playstation 3 games and blu ray movies. Also works on PC, but in stereo.

ps3 headset is the best buy for your money by far. easiest and and most convenient headset out there. i've had  tritons and turtlebeaches.

Dropshot935

Yes, as I said before, get the Sony headset.  It's also only like $80-100, and packs great quality especially for the price.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

I've pretty much used them all and the newest wireless PS3 setup is my favorite so far. They connect with no issues, playstation selects them automatically and immediately so there is no need to select in from the xmb menu. they block out nearly all background noise, the battery last plenty long and charges quite fast (you can play while plugged in), and they are the most comfortable I have used. I can hear you coming from a mile away which is the #1 reason I use headphones (lobbies are full of idiots, so I keep them all on mute). You can adjust volume separate from the game/chat volume balance. The on/off/mute button is the whole left side of the headset, so it's extremely easy to use in a hurry, which is nice because this game sends me on profane tirades from time to time. I rarely use the Mic but it works great and fully retracts when not in use.

cliffnotes: awesome. Get em.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

P.s. All of my Turtle Beach headsets broke at the ear pieces. And yes: the Sony set had a button on top for surround on/off.