19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 9:16 PM by BanHaMMer RSS

Todays Topic: Does Practise make Perfect?

Izjar11

COD

'Practice makes perfect'-we've all heard the cliche, and on the face of it, it seems to make perfect sense. If I practise something anything doesn't it mean that I should get better or that others should as well?

The answer is, the cliche is wrong: practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT  practice makes perfect!

I heard this today at a meeting and I began to think of how we underestimate how we play the game and how we actually practise (in the game).

What I get from this is you have a certain way of playing, each has their own route they follow in a game. I asked myself has my route, strategy (practise) hit a cieling and I cannot improve my game?

I've played about a total of 17 hours (more than Id like to admit) and I do well in most games (w/l & KD) and generally feel that I get better and at times I feel that I don't.

How does the community feel on how practicing makes you a better COD player?

• Re: Todays Topic: Does Practise make Perfect?
    wridtrvlr

You have it right with perfect practice makes perfect.  If you are practicing bad habits, you will be bad at what you are trying to achieve.  Great topic!!!

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

I get killed by invisible men, curving bullets, and people that I spawn directly on front of. I cant practice for that. To be honest, skill doesn't help, so I quit caring. Now I rush 24/7.

phxs72

I think that we can all attest that sometimes the lag is so bad that nothing you do other than backout is going to help but for the most part (including with minimal lag) practicing to be better does improve your gameplay. In fact, in a sick and twisted way the .5 sec behind lag actually can make you a better player.  Because when you learn how to do well when you're lagging like that then when you do finally get on the good side of the lag, you will be beasting on the entire lobby.

Izjar11

My purpose wasn't to mention issues in the game but I understand that the one you mention is critical. Do as you must but improving even under your circumstances is up to you.

coltfirearms

The saddest thing is that once you become good, people you start killing start blowing you up with DMH, Martyrdom, and come back to life with Final Stand. So it is almost a bad thing to be good at COD. These people don't practice to get the hang of they game, they are rewarded BS kills. The game needs a learning curve and people shouldn't be spoon fed kills by IW.

Izjar11

I at times find it annoying to be killed by a person in final stand or the C4 or the grenade left behind, but in all its not a game breaker for me! What I mean is those streaks are circumstantial, but I will give you this tip. Play Barebones.

coltfirearms

Izjar11 wrote:

I at times find it annoying to be killed by a person in final stand or the C4 or the grenade left behind, but in all its not a game breaker for me! What I mean is those streaks are circumstantial, but I will give you this tip. Play Barebones.

Deathstreaks are not a game breaker for me. I will still play the game no doubt, I just hate the fact IW is spoon feeding kills. I have always hated deathstreaks since they first came out and will continue to hate them. Even if I play barebones the deathstreaks will still be in the game and IW will still hold the hands of horrible players (not saying only horrible players use deathstreaks, but it was put in the game to give horrible players free kills).

Practicing mmmm it's like doing weights if you have bad form, you won't do so well. With playing cod if you have bad habits ect you won't get far.

To me all a person does is learn the map and how the game is played.

Like when I play a new map I'll get shafted for a few games then I learn where people will be ect.

So it makes me better.

That's about as far as practicing goes.

You just learn your game mode.

Learn the map and that's it.

Thesandman

I agree that practice helps to make one better,but some people who suck at this game will always suck. Just as with most things in life.

GTMONEY

While I agree practice definately does help in my situation so does not playing much. If I play every evening I find my game play slipping a bit. I take 2-3 days off when I get back after the first few minutes of game play it seems a lot better overall for me

And i was about to start a discussion on how nobody can come up with good topics on here because i read all these posts when im bored at work and it seems like i just read the same thing over and over again in different words. So thanks for coming up with new stuff to talk about. Of coarse practice increases your skill level of anything, will it make perfection though? Maybe for some things but i dont know is perfection is possible in COD. My 1st COD game was MW2 and that game put me on the COD bandwagon. And i can tell my skill level has greatly improved since, and im sure i will get better as i keep playing. but to reach a level of perfection i think i would have to play this for another 10 years to maybe get close to perfection, although i know what i need to do to get better and i realize when i make a bone head move, it is still hard for me to correct these mistakes right away. I do like the saying "Perfect practice makes perfect" because this could not be any more true. The hard part is to get the perfect practice.

Practice makes you better prepared for every situation, but it never makes you perfect because honestly I think its impossible to ever be perfect in CoD.

Now that I have a HD PVR I watch a fair amount of my own gameplay, and its made me realize that I've found these awesome routes/camping spots/power positions, but they don't always work out in my favor. I'm sure most people on this forum have seen my "How to Get an Easy MOAB (Village)" video. I try to get a MOAB from that spot every time I play Village in a party of 2 or more. There are so many times where I fail on that spot, but when it works out its all because of the enemies choices.

I guess my point is that practice will make you more likely to succeed, but there are too many variables for you to ever be "perfect"

Dropshot935

Correction. In Call of Duty crappy internet makes you perfect. No need for god mode mods, lag comp is god mode. And if you are on the other spectrum with really good internet, it's like your playing on minuscule health 1 second behind everyone. No matter how much you play this game, performance is based on lag.

opb81

This is a similar theroy to my favorite sport golf. The line of thinking is the same in golf, you can spend 8 hours a day practicing but if you are practicing a horrible swing or other habits you are never going to get better.

In terms of the game yes you can certainly do things to improve your skills. Black ops was my first real foray into online FPS and I definatley have become a much better player now then I was back then. Taking out the fact that sometimes you can do everything right and still die due to lag, there definately things you can do depending on your playstyle to become a more effective player. For me it was watching better players play that had a similar play style, then taking 1 or 2 things at a time that they did well and try to implement that into how I play.

BanHaMMer

When we entre SEACL & ACL Comps and are given the maps, we practice what we will do at both possible spawns on the map and work out what formation and tactics we will employ and who use's what class etc. We sometimes practice in pub games to see if the "unkown element" we may not have thought of come's into play.

Having a good player tutor/mentor, is also a good thing, when someone in our clan has issue's one of our Squad Commanders takes them under there wing in Private match's where we may spectate and give them advice. I freely admit coming from games that have Dedicated Servers - RESISTANCE, KILLZONE, M.A.G. to COD, I had to have a lot of help

But for pub games, I don't know?