30 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2014 2:02 PM by NovaSongbird RSS

Ant-Man

• Re: Ant-Man

I wonder if it's going to be CG like they were saying in the beginning

here's hoping it's got jan as Wasp in it too!

NovaSongbird

Hmm, well I sure am happy theyre making it! But I just hope it isnt fully CG like said and is liveaction with CG... Like the other Avengers movies...

agreed. I want live action heroes that can then go on to the Avengers 2

Lol, it's live-action. There was test footage shown, of Ant-Man laying it down on two security guards. Everyone says it looked awesome. The suit is apparently based on Eric O' Grady's Irredeemable suit, with a touch of the classic look. I can't wait to see it.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/10/100776/2052091-antman.png

cool. I actually like his look a lot

I wonder if Jan's in it as Jan or as the Wasp

Hawkeye

I'm curious about whether it'll even be Hank as Ant-Man.  I remember years agr, Wright had said the idea was that Scott Lang would be Ant-Man and Hank would be the mentor character.  A lot has changed since then with Avengers rolling in money so I hope it's Hank in the title role and Jan would naturally have to be in the movie too.

Jadryx

Ant-Man is coming out after Avengers 2 on 11/6/2015 (start of phase 3?).  I wonder if they'll introduce any of the characters in Avengers 2?  I don't think it would be a bad idea as it would likely generate increased interest in the Ant-Man movie.  That's one of the kinda fun things about this whole connected universe is you get to guess who will show up where!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=68717

Hawkeye

Interesting they went for a November release instead of summer or spring.  They must not think the concept will attract enough attention to fight with the big summer blockbusters, which is probably a fair assesment.  It's a little disappointing that the release date is so far away, but I guess Marvel wants to focus on their other movies first.

Jadryx

Wow, we haven't posted in this thread in quite some time.  I'm sure we've discussed random news and rumors in the Survivors thread but I guess this is important enough to go in the offical thread.

Paul Rudd was been announced as the lead.  They aren't saying if it is Hank Pym or Scott Lang yet though.  Marvel has done pretty well so far with casting so combine their history with the fact that I know very little about Ant-Man, and I'll say that I don't have much to say about this news.LOL  I'll just hope that it will turn out well in the end when I see the movie (which is still quite a long way from now in 2015, but judging how fast the last few years seem to have gone it will be here before we know it)

Hawkeye

It's great to finally have Ant-man cast, whoever it may be, haha.  There were rumors of Rashida Jones being Wasp, so it seems to suggest that he'll be Hank and I think it will be, anyway.  I know some think Marvel might shy away from Hank cause of abuse issue and how that reputation sticks to him, but I'm not sure if Marvel will care.  Tony's alcoholism isn't exactly family friendly either and if Marvel was so worried they wouldn't have given Hank such a big role in EMH.  We might see them dabble in Hank's mental illness, but I imagine they won't touch the domestic abuse with a ten foot pole.

I'm thinking we could see Hank as a kinda underachieving, looked-over scientist within a big company owned by Jan's father.  Because of his interest in odd things, like ants, and lack of showmanship, he doesn't get the praise that Tony does.  Kinda hoping that we see Hank and Jan already in a romantic relationship when the movie starts instead of starting from scratch.  I think it'd be a nice change of pace and Wright did a good job of playing with an established relationship in Shaun of the Dead.

Jadryx

Michael Douglas to Star as Hank Pym in Marvel's Ant-Man | News | Marvel.com

Interesting.....didn't picture Hank as an older guy.  So Paul Rudd will be Scott Lang.  Kinda makes ya wonder what will become of Jan.

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed to hear that.  Hank is just such an interesting character, so it's pretty lame to pass him up completely.  It's not like they can even go back and use him, unless they do some kinda prequel movie set in the past.  And the worst part is that it probably means no Jan in the movie universe, either. 

Hawkeye

Super bummer.  I know that Wright said like seven years ago he wanted to make Lang the star and Hank the old mentor, but a LOT has happened in the Marvel movie universe since then and I thought that we'd get a Hank and Jan to join the Avengers at some point.  Now we have a 70 year old Hank who isn't an Avenger let alone a founder and no Ultron connection.  And where does this leave Jan?  Will she be his partner in the 60's?  Will she be a modern hero with mutant powers instead of Pym Particle?  They still coulda kept the same storyline without making Hank 70, there's plenty of reasons why he would stop being Ant-Man.  It is what it is though.  Knowing Marvel we can at least look forward to a Hank centered One shot to make up for the sad Pym fans.

Rogue_Shadow

I wonder what they're going to do with Hank being a hero back in the 60's?  It seems weird, since it seems like there weren't supposed to really be any superheroes before Iron Man, except for Cap in WWII.  Superheroes are supposed to be a recent occurrence, it seems like.  I guess Ant-Man could've been under the radar, since he's not exactly as flashy as Iron Man or Thor, and he's literally super small, but it's still a little weird. 

I'd have rather had Hank as the main character, of course, but it is pretty lame that they decided they had to make him old.  Having Hank quit because he thinks violence isn't the answer or something (like in EMH) could've made for some interesting stuff. 

Hawkeye

I heard that he'd be more of a spy for SHIELD, rather than the Cap or Iron Man type of hero selling bonds and giving press interviews.  SHIELD probably woulda kept it underwraps since he'd have been spying people and all.

Yeah, they coulda done that or a bunch of other options.  Shame we'll never get to see Hank fight alongside the other Avenger against Ultron.

Rogue_Shadow

Ant-Man won't have a cheesy musical show where he punches famous dictators that runs across the country to sell war bonds?!  Now, I'm totally not going to watch the movie! haha

Unless he uses his floating wheelchair and old man cane of DOOM to fight Ultron, that is...

Jadryx

Evangeline Lilly is rumored to be in talks to star as the female lead (does not specifiy if it will be Jan or not but they do say she will be Hank's daughter and Scott's love interest.)  I'm sure if she is playing Jan then some fans will be upset with the relationship changes.  As far as the actress goes for me - I liked her in Real Steel and The Hobbit, so I reckon I'd be ok with this too.

Hawkeye

So, it's being rumored that Evangeline Lilly (Tauriel from Hobbit) is up for Wasp.  And I really like this choice.  Although she tends to play more tough women, her natural personality seems closer to Jan.  I'm still not wild about a Scott Lang/Jan romance in Ant Man, but I am excited to see Jan.

Rogue_Shadow

Are you sure she's playing Jan?  I just heard that she'd be the "female lead," which doesn't necessarily mean Jan.  It could be a totally different female character, as far as I've heard.  If it is gonna be Jan, though, it just makes it even weirder that they picked Lang.  It'd be a weird situation, since I like Jan and would be totally excited to see her in a movie, but it just feels wrong to have her paired up with Lang instead of Hank. 

Hawkeye

It's said she'll be Hank's daughter and Scott's love interest.  So, maybe Jan, maybe not Jan.  I guess she could end up the Wasp, but not necessarily Jan.

Rogue_Shadow

Having Jan be Hank's daughter would be... awkward.  I guess we'll have to see what happens.  I'm not sure if I'd be excited or not for that to be true...

Jadryx

I gotta stop putting links in my posts.  I actually posted about the Evangeline Lilly rumor yesterday morning, but since they have to be moderated and get approved it still hadn't showed up for everyone else by the time Hawk posted (I can see it above Hawk's post on my screen, but only if I'm logged in)  Oh well.

Hawkeye

So, interesting news coming out today.  Edgar Wright is off Ant-Man and it seems the internet is raging against Marvel.  I've even seen people blame Whedon, which I don't entirely understand.  Personally, I'm only disappointed it's happening now rather than five years ago.  That way we coulda got a young Hank Pym to join the Avengers with Jan.  I'm sure Wright wrote an excellent script and would've directed a fun film, I just vastly prefer Hank over Scott Lang.  He was the one pushing hard for Lang cause it's his favorite Ant-Man and with him leaving the movie it's like man, why did you have to wait till after the casting and likely most of the sets and costumes are done and it's too late change anything.  But that aside, I'm not sure I would be blaming Marvel.  The movie has been in production for eight years and they patiently waited for him to go finish up the Cornetto trilogy.  They were on board with Scott Lang as the lead and a 70 year old Hank Pym.  It seems like they've been pretty understanding toward his vision.  Sometimes relationships don't work and it's not cause one side is to blame.

NovaSongbird

Well this's a little worrying.
      I'm really looking forward to this, even with old Pym, and I hope this doesn't effect it too badly...

Hawkeye

Marvel has a pretty good track record so I think it'll turn out fine.  I don't think there's any reason to start abandoning the ship when we haven't even seen any clips or set pics yet.

Rogue_Shadow

This was some pretty weird news, considering how big a deal Marvel was making of this being an Edgar Wright movie.  It's a little disappointing this happened so late that we're kinda stuck with Scott Lang as Ant-Man, but I guess things happen.  There hasn't been one bad Marvel movie so far, though, so I'm not too worried until I see one I don't like. 

Hawkeye

It seems like no one wants to direct Ant Man.  It seemed like they were settled on the Anchorman director to replace Wright, but he's backed up and said he's committed to other projects.  I'm pretty okay with this though, I'm not a particular fan of the Will Ferrell movies.  Of the names listed I'm really hoping for the Zombieland director, since I really loved that.  It seems pretty much certain that they have to delay it, though.  I wonder if they'd consider cancelling it rather than putting out a rushed movie?

Rogue_Shadow

Because they all wanna direct a Hank and Jan story instead of a Scott Lang one!  haha, that's probably not it, but we can dream, right?  It really does look like it's in a bad spot, though.  It's pretty weird, though, since they need to plan so far ahead with these movies, so I don't know if they want to change their plans by moving or cancelling a movie. 

Hawkeye

Naturally, everyone just loves Hank, haha.  That's true, though it's hard to say how much Ant-Man was going to be connected to other things.  I can't see it involving Thanos.  Maybe it'd reference stuff in the Netflix series or SHIELD?

NovaSongbird

Well, we've got a director now, Peyton Reed. Can't really say I know much of his work, but I hope it's good stuff. But Adam McKay (Anchormen) is helping out with this, that's pretty cool.

It's really too bad they don't have enough time to change the focus from Scott to Hank. I mean I'm totally cool with having Scott (especially if it leads to Cassie coming in some time soon), but I really want Hank and Jan...