37 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 5:57 PM by eldavison1 RSS

Quickscoping: why the hate?

I rarely see posts on the forum that don't turn into flame wars about why people actually hate quick scoping. I hate quick scopers that feed the enemy kills as much as the next guy, so outside of the reasoning that it leads to those kind of douchebags I never really see valid arguments against it

TYPICAL ARGUMENTS:

1) It exploits aim assist- all guns equally benefit from aim assist. You exploit aim assist with your ACR just as much as someone using a sniper

2) it's not realistic- neither is the ability to respawn or many other features in this game. Cod I'd an arcade shooter, playing it expecting realism is foolish

3) it's easy and all luck- coming from someone who rarely does it in pub matches, I'm not sure I can fully say that I am qualified to respond. Inhale spent a decent amount of time quick scoping in private matches, and no matter what there are a few of my clan members who do better than others. Are some of their shots lucky? Yes, but the fact they consistent do better would lead me to believe there. Is some skill involved

My conclusion is most people who hate quick scoping can't do it, and can't figure out how to counter it. I'd lobe to hear some prospective on why you hate quick scoping that isn't one of the 3 reasons I mentioned above. I personally don't hate it, so I'd like to hear an intelligent argument as to why someone feels differently than I do on the subject

• Re: Quickscoping: why the hate?
    o.OAmadousO.o

do you want me to upload a video of me sniping? (which ive never done in my life), i have some no scopes in there too. some lets say quick scopes (which arent that quick).

"The acr abuses aim assist just like the sniper rifles" ---> the acr doesnt kill in 1 shot

yes the game isnt realistic

i do not aprove the "ohh cmon i shot that guy in the face and he turned around and no scoped me"

i think quick scoping is wrong. but this is just my opinion, and everyone who says it takes skill, come on rly?

I think you missed my point on the while skill aspect. Think of it like driving a car. Pretty much everyone can drive a car, but not everyone can compete in NASCAR. Some people are just better at quick scoping then everyone else, so they are more skilled quick scopers

The ACR doesn't drop people in one shot, but you can also spray the ACR. If a sniper misses their first shot, they're basically screwed, if you're using an ACR you can just hold down R1 and benefit from the games aim assist keeping you on target.

You basically responded with all the typical clichè reasons as to why you don't like quick scoping. I just fail to see the logic behind most of those reasons. It's your opinion, I just don't agree with your reasoning

o.OAmadousO.o

"you can spray the acr" "if you miss your first shot with a sniper your screwed"

althought this is right on the bolt actions, have you ever been sprayed by a barret .50? i have, idiots running around with barrets and steady aim and use like an assault rifle, ofc i get mad.

yep theres alot of ppl that are "skilled" in quickscoping just like everything in life. but answer me this:

do you like the type 95?

remember snipers TTK (time to kil) is lower than the type 95

also remember if you miss the first burst you screwed

WKMMS

There are a lot of people out there who will never accept that they were beaten by a sniper rifle in CQC and to a certain extent they make a valid point.  Hitting a pop-shot with a sniper rifle at very close range, particularly when someone walks right into the middle of your screen, is not especially hard if your timing is down. I think it's that sort of thing the gets on people's nerves and fuels the hatred for the quickscoping sniper.  If that happens to you a lot when you are playing, then I can imagine it could be very frustrating, especially if you don't really understand how the guy is managing to pull it off.

There is also the fact that so many "quickscopers" go negative in games and don't play the objective.  Then there is the misguided believe the aim-assist magically corrects your aim when you are off target and gives you the kill anyway, which If you think about it, doesn't even make sense - how could all these quickscopers go negative if this aim-assist glitch was real and gave them kills even if they missed?  That's nonsense.

I've heard a lot of "I put half a clip into this guy and he just turned and one-shotted me"... yeah that sucks, but on the other side of the coin, you can shoot someone square in the chest with a sniper, get a hit marker and be sprayed down before you even have time to chamber the next round... it's swings and roundabouts really

In all honesty, as someone who plays equally as a sniper and a reg-gunner, the ARs and SMGs are overall easier to use, no question, in my experience. 

o.OAmadousO.o

true true. but again on my side of the coin he shoots my midle finger and bum im dead.

the fun thing is i dont get pooped on by quickscoper that often, hell the truth is i dont see that many sniper overall. i also know about the lag issues this game has, when i say ive put an entire clip in guy, maybe i didnt even got a shot off. i know about that. but this same guys who orgasm when they do a 360 no scope, are the ones who complain about other guns like,again, the type 95 and send you messages calling you sh1t and f@g, this is why i hate quickscopers, they think theyr doing something heroic and that it takes "skill", no it doesnt everyone can do it for better or for worse.

It is fairly simple- because I hate being 1HK in a 1vs1 by a weapon that was designed to engage me at range and supposedly had drawbacks in such a close quarter situation. It's the same principle with all weapons- people hate being killed by the Type 95 (made a whole party rage yesterday with it), Shotguns (I notice if one player starts using a shotgun and killing people, other people in the lobby decide to switch) and increasingly, silenced MK14s. You have almost no time to react to these weapons, which is why a lot of people can't stand being killed by them. Don't get me wrong, I use the MK14, so in a way I'm hypocritical as it's basically a double tap kill at any range.

half-megatron

show me in the manual where they explain anything about quickscoping?   i'll wait

Ive read all these posts, and bieng a quickscoper, it DOES take a tremendous amout of skill, but im not one who pops into a lobby and quicscopes everykill, and goes positive, because its senseless to try to take a long range quickscope. People that say it takes no skill can obviously not pick up a sniper and do well with it quickscoping. Thats why us quickscopers are hated, because we can do things that some people cant. Yes, the Barrett does have a high RPM, but i never max it out, i get a 1 shot in, and if i hit marker, im dead, and if i miss, im dead, this is because i go for a 2nd quicscope instead of spraying, because spraying is not accurate enough to get the kill. When i do go positive, me and firends usually like to do a 360 black scope for last kill just to try and troll, and usually, we get flamed and hated on, because we chose to put it on final kill cam so they could see they awesome 360 quick scope.

The Barrett is also no longer the fastest gun in the game, i  hopped on, and tested between the RSASS and the Barrett 50 Cal, and my test proved that the RSASS has less damage but is more likely to win because you can double tap, and get the kill.
      But thats with the RSASS, the Sniper that everyone hates because they think it sucks, i pull out, and do great with it except when trying to hardscope, because it sucks at hardscoping.

zombie-papa

I think quickscoping is pretty nifty. I can't do it, but i respect those who can.

i picked up a sniper regularly but can't do it like some of my clan mates do or like some of the youtube clips i've seen.

It's not something that you manage automatically when u pick a SR up.

Saying that they weren't designed for the purpose is just silly. this is not realism it is not a simulation of real life. you can do things with other weapons in this game you can't in real life accept it.

I personally find all these "whats the best weapon in this game?" dudes way more irritating than the scopers.

Fact is in this game: QSers run through the map, while a lot of fmg akimbo/smg players stick in the corners or go camping

People scream at me too if i one-shot them with a shotgun.Or if i control a flag area with a LMG laying down supressive fire.

Seems like the only globally accepted method of playing this game is running around like an arse feeding your opponent's kill streak. Unless... of course, you're a sniper rifle player. then you aren't supposed to get kills anyway since quick scoping "isn't realistic" and camping/sniping is a no no  LOLLLL

IMHO It takes a lot of skill to get a decent streak with a sniper/LMG/type 95 or MK14 as opposed to any of the accepted guns (MP7, ACR, SCAR, P90, PP90M1, STRIKER) and bear in mind these people have the same lag problems you do

BTW type 95 was nerfed to bits few patches back because of all the whining so now i only use it in hardcore these days where it still lives up to the task

I can understand why people dislike being OHK in close quarters, BUT, these same people never see the other side of the story. They never see all the hitmarkers and dont realise that a sniper only has one shot to kill when playing against anyone half decent.

I cant understand this "how can I get killed by a sniper in CQC when the weapon was designed for range?" point of view. Yes the weapon was not designed for CQC but neither was an LMG, yet you can run around spraying for kills with ease even though you are technically supposed to use the weapon for suppression. If I had to hip fire you with any sniper rifle I could probably still hit and kill you from a fair distance away in real life so that throws the 'realism' theory out of the window too.  These maps were designed for ADHD trigger happy, SMG, hip firing kids- so, please, if a sniper kills you, learn to deal with it cause that player earned it.

People saying things such as 'quickscopers should be strangled'- (another thread on here) should learn how to play the game and counter any situation they come to face with before b*tching on here.

rlbl

(my usual wall of text warnming)

This has been, and always be my argument against quickscoping. It is not really against quickscoping, but rather quickdraw on snipers.

If someone sees me 1st and.or outplays me, I do not care if they lined up their shot, hard-scoped, quick-scoped,drag-scoped, <insert made up term here>-scope or whatever. The problem is, when I have the jump on someone and it is gonna take me 3 bullets to kill them. No matter what my accuracy was, I have a good chance to lose the gun fight against a quickdraw sniper at any distance on the map (see scenario below)

The bottom line

1 - This would not happen (as much) if quickdraw had no effect on snipers (like in BO)

2 - IW puts garbage in their games where you can win the gun fight (or be winning the game), and still lose:

- DMH

- Final Stand

- Martydom

- Quickdraw/SOH on snipers

- Nukes/MOABs

- etc...

For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether I can do it or not (I am not great at it, but sometimes I do run with a sniper, and most of the time I go positive both "hard" and "quick" scoping.  But I can guarantee you this: When I am losing the gun fight and I quickscope someone, I almost always apologize after the match because I call BS on myself.

Scenario:

Person A uses an AR/SMG/LMG or whatever

Person B uses a sniper, and we will assume very good at using it (aiming etc..)

Both using high sensitivity, and both using Quickdraw (or old SOH)

Person A sees person B and starts to shoot:

- 1st bullet that hits makes the sniper realize he is being hit

- 2nd bullet that hits seriously damages person B, and person draws his weapon

- the 3rd shot is gonna finish him off...

Black Ops: the 3rd bullet will more often hit the sniper before he gets his weapon up and aimed right

MW2/MW3: because quickdraw is active on sniper rifles, the sniper has a good chance to win the gun fight (at any range) because he can raise his OHK weapon

Is their skill involved: yes

is it just aim assist: of course not

is it realistic: who cares it is a game

is it fair: HELL NO

That is the problem with Quickdraw on a sniper rifle.  We all know IW devs love quickscoping; so they make it so the game mechanics allow one to do it, not matter how good (or bad) one is at the game*. Yes a lot of people have bad arguments why they hate it, but to assume that all the complainers complain because "they cannot do it" is a little too broad.

*of course, the bad people will miss more often, but that is hardly the point.

EDIT: I will never argue the fact though, that it is fun. But I only feel good when I know I did not BS my kill by winning a gun fight I should have lost.  In the scenario above, if person B was using an AR, they would have been dead in any game (barring lag)

I'm actually pretty good at quickscoping on Black Ops as well. If you want to eliminate quick scoping, you would have to make it realistic like BF2. BF3 you can quickscope. I've seen it. Anyways, it's what a lot of people like to do, so why would Infinity Ward and/or 3arc want to take it away. It's fun to do. I believe, originally, Black Ops had it to where the crosshairs didn't get smaller until you were fully aimed down in your sites, but I think that was removed, because i started going beast one day. Anyways, I like quickscoping and I do believe it requires skill. I'm not the kind of person who feels the need to quickscope on every match and from every distance, unless I'm just ******* around. Most of the time, I will at least drag scope. However, it's a good tactic if someone is running right at you. It's an easy kill most the time. After you die once by a quickscoper, you can easily avoid them. Keep your distance and things like that. Honestly, I can pickout a quick scoper by their name. Any name that sounds like a clan name like EnVi-LeGaCy or something like that, normally end p quick scoping the majority of the time. You can use your surroundings to figure it out.

The best way to avoid a quickscoper is drop shotting. I do that all the time when people are trying to quickscope. It ruins their aim and is a very smart tactic. Also, when I quickscope, drop shotters piss me off.

Tl;dr. Quickscoping isn't cheap. You just need to strategize against them. The same way you strategize against people using the striker or type95.

rlbl

I am not sure you caught my point.

The problem with sniping is not that you can do it quick, the problem is that the player with a sniper rifle in IW games has a better chance at winning a gun fight because of fast ADS.

Can you "quickscope" in BO, sure

Is it as easy as MW2/MW3: hell no!

Honestly?  I feel like it's a distraction to the majority of people who are in the match.

When I'm in a match trying to manuver around, work with my teammates and do something coordinated to win, I don't want some tool who is lurking in a corner to pop out and get a lousy one-shot-kill because of a stupid characteristic that IW left in the game.

It's especially annoying when someone who isn't good at it thinks they ARE good at it is on my team and decides to play "lolzImaQuikScoper!" during matches of domination or KC or drop zone instead of trying to help win the match.

I don't care what you do in team deathmatch as long as you don't cost us the match (which usually isn't the case, but you never know).

Other than that, I don't think it's as big of a problem as it was in MW2.  More often than not, I see people trying to quickscope me and they're so bad at it, they usually become a free kill.

monkeylord

Any weapon that lets you spam L1-R1 and get four OHKs, I tried it four times and each time got a OHK is cheap . Chuck on the fact how well the ghillie suit can hide you and the fact that you can spam 2 buttons and let what ever it is do the rest makes the QS more than a little cheap.

It should be a one hit kill. It's the most powerful sniper in the game (arguably). Also, they were right infront of your face. You didn't even quickscope. You just no scoped and hit both buttons. If you want to get into cheap kills. It's spraying with the 50 caliber. There should be more kick than there is.

monkeylord

It doesn't matter why or type of shot the dynamic is cheap also i've done it at different distances these where just a couple I did this afternoon I always wait untill a round is a bit laggy  because the best place to test new weapons is in a laggy rounds as you see them at their worst.. Any rifle where just spamming L1 and R1 will net you a OHK with absosolute no aiming involved is cheap can't really see anyother way to call it.

You use the RSASS, I'm sorry but you can't complain about the spamming abilities or other snipers while using that gun.

The fact you uploaded 4 shots landing doesnt prove anything. Again, my point is anyone can quick scope as your clip shows, but not everyone can do it consistently

monkeylord

not_dlundebjerg28 wrote:

The fact you uploaded 4 shots landing doesnt prove anything. Again, my point is anyone can quick scope as your clip shows, but not everyone can do it consistently

Sorry to pop the old bubble but I tried it four times and hit all four with one shot you don't get any more consistant than 100% also I can and have done it with all the snipers the L1-R1 tap is very easy to do. Try that crap with the RSASS and your dead the RSASS doesn't have a get out of jail free card like the other snipers. All RSASS users can use the one shotties not all one shot users can use the RSASS.

All RSASS users get very used to the L1+R1 combo as when we run and gun we need to scope in fast and be firing ASAP when you have to hit someone about 6 times before they die you need to get good at fast target aquirement and making sure the shots are connecting while moving without stalker pro or blind eye. This is the problem when opinion is based on just hearsay

My opinion of the OSK rifles comes from nabbing them and using them yours about the RSASS comes from just a general bias the exsists concerning it's fire rate while ignoring the RSASS has to put six more shots down range and on target than a OSK

Yeah but dude it totally makes sense that hitting something 6 times is easier than hitting it once yep pure devastating logic.

Message was edited by: monkeylord

monkeylord

As this clip shows counting in the reload time for the bolt actions is already ingrained.

All OSK rifles are open to a cheap tactic that a lot choose to use do I hate it? honestly not really they groove on seeing people go down and OSK flashing up with only a twitch reaction that they want to hone to being as fast as possible so they can get to that stage where they can put you down as the 1st bullet leaves your SMG

While I love nursing the guns considerd not so good and making them bang out run and gun rounds (nothing beats running with an LMG) In short no matter what people say or how they feel they'll always be QSers and fine it's their game but while they exsist they gotta realise people will always see just another cheap kill.

I thought this message would be a better outline of how i'm thinking rather than the rabid defense of the RSASS a gun misunderstood.

I can actually quickscope - I choose not to. It does something that no other gun does - instant kill by using the mechanics in the game to pull the center aim of the gun onto the center body of the target and make it a one hit kill. It doesn't require skill, it requires some practice to get the timing into your fingers (called muscle memory) and just a willingness to use something to your advantage that other people either cannot do or choose not to.

That's called being a punk. I can do all kinds of things in the game that are easy kills, but I choose not to - why? Because I'd rather be a player that other players might loose against, but are still willing to say "good game" in the lobby.

That's called "integrity". Look it up.

Lol b a player someone can say gg to my friend in cod at the end of the game no 1 ever says good game it's all ways u suk ur **** and all that bs I can qs n I don't give a **** if I pissed the enemy off in the process and as far as realism is concerned ace and mp7 have no Kik or bullet drop play bf3 n c the big difference.                                                                                       

WKMMS

Ikyoto wrote:

I can actually quickscope - I choose not to. It does something that no other gun does - instant kill by using the mechanics in the game to pull the center aim of the gun onto the center body of the target and make it a one hit kill. It doesn't require skill, it requires some practice to get the timing into your fingers (called muscle memory) and just a willingness to use something to your advantage that other people either cannot do or choose not to.

That's called being a punk. I can do all kinds of things in the game that are easy kills, but I choose not to - why? Because I'd rather be a player that other players might loose against, but are still willing to say "good game" in the lobby.

That's called "integrity". Look it up.

it never pulls the crosshairs towards the target.... if it did then you'd never miss... and we all know that quickscoped shots are missed all the time... guess integrity doesn't cover dealing in facts rather than making stuff up to prove a point in your language

The real reason why people hate quickscoping is because people rage whenever something happens they didn't expect and was against their favor.

You see a sniper running and is close to you, and you think in your head, "haha an easy kill". Then all of sudden he kills you when you thought you were safe from him and surely kill him first. Then your thinking "WTF". Then rage comes.

The same concept applies to other things. Say someone is using a shotgun with range. You are at a distance that you think you have a sure and easy kill. Then he kills you when you were sure he couldn't. Rage follows.

Or when someone is using assassin and hiding in the corner. UAV is up and you are near certain no one is there. Then you get killed by soemone you were sure wasn't there. Once again, rage follows.

not_dlundebjerg28 wrote:

TYPICAL ARGUMENTS:

1) It exploits aim assist- all guns equally benefit from aim assist. You exploit aim assist with your ACR just as much as someone using a sniper

2) it's not realistic- neither is the ability to respawn or many other features in this game. Cod I'd an arcade shooter, playing it expecting realism is foolish

3) it's easy and all luck- coming from someone who rarely does it in pub matches, I'm not sure I can fully say that I am qualified to respond. Inhale spent a decent amount of time quick scoping in private matches, and no matter what there are a few of my clan members who do better than others. Are some of their shots lucky? Yes, but the fact they consistent do better would lead me to believe there. Is some skill involved

1.) Actually aim assist screws up people with assault rifles, smgs, and shotguns. Can't count how many times aim assist got me killed.

2.) It's the only gun that is played unrealistically is what most people mean by that.

3.) Most the time it is actually luck. You're not looking down your sites and you are certainly not accounting for all the aspects of actually sniping.

Thesandman

QS doesn't overly bother me as i get rarely killed by one as i play HC and there are no people skilled or game enough to QS in HC. QS know inside their heart that QS is not the intended way for a sniper rifle to be used, and then always use the same "A,B or C isn't real life either" arguement.

I actually think quick scoping is pretty neat. I haven't tried doing it myself (I'm not very good at sniping in general, even though I enjoy trying it out now and then), but I just think of it as a cool little "trick". There are plenty of reasons one could choose to rage while playing this game, but why take it so seriously? It's better when you're able to just say "Damn, didn't see that coming" and move on.

I'm not bothered by it, but it does bother me when they start saying hardscope..

ghamorra

I see more quickscopes that are off target but still get a OHK then me aiming through my scope and getting OHK.

Also, it's such an easy thing to do in CQ. Any monkey can walk around with their crosshairs aimed up high enough that all they have to do is quickly tap L1 R1 and get an easy kill

The only quickscoping I'll accept are those that do it from a distance where pre-aligning your crosshairs does help you. But then my first point usually comes into play

Snipingdbag

Scoping fast takes excellent aim, great positioning and a great connection. Without any you will get more hitmarkers than not and you will die a lot head on.

The pop-shot (aka qs) is very annoying and will be rebalanced in blops2 again no doubt, as long as they don't stop fast sniping (like now in black ops). They need to actually fire cap the 50 cal that's my main issues, as someone just spamming this thing is incredibly annoying.

Problem is the hit boxes on mw3 are bigger than previous cod games for sure.You watch the kill cam and the hitmarker being 3 feet to your left and you die WHAT. that being said i dont quickscope but have tried it on mw3 and found that its quite easy.i am a 2.6 kd player.All in all I think quickscoping is dying out a bit anyway ,you dont see it like you did in mw2

I believe that people who do quickscoping are very skilled, ive tried to quickscope but always end up missing or just getting a lucky kill. someone teach me to quickscope please ?

Im not the best at qs but I can qs good enough to piss off the enemy and my advice probably won't b the best but it worked for me grab a friend head to private match auto radar and qs practice practice practice

Practice makes perfection

I really dont understand what people want if you quick scope someone they say is cheap and unfair but if you harscope someone they call you a harscoper you have no skill. so what am i supossed to do let my self get killed.

Thesandman

Hardscoping is a term invented by the QS community,when in fact there is no such thing in the game. That is the proper way a sniper rifle is supposed to be used.

I dare you to go to a public match hardscope everyone and not get called a harcoper by evey single one even if they are QS or using any other weapon. ps. im guessing your definition for sniping is to stay in one side of the map looking to long line of sight. is it the same thing as camping ???