13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 11:47 AM by BanHaMMer RSS

Picking a Party Leader

I don't pretend to understand all the mysterys of matchmaking, however.

One thing I have noticed is that you seem to want to pick the lowest ranked player with the worst stats in your group and make him Party Leader.

Doing this seems to result in the party being matched against easier competition and you will end up doing better for your stats.

Anyone else notice this ???

• Re: Picking a Party Leader
    wridtrvlr

I have never tried this out, but can say that I'm ranked prestige 20 and I am the leader of my parties most of the time.  We either get lobbies full of noobs/non-party team or we get matched to full parties with of course higher rankings.  I really think it is just hit or miss between lobbies. 

rlbl

That has to be purely coincidental.

I am 19th and most of the time my friends want to make me the leader as I am further North (so we do not get as many south american lobbies - no offense to my bros in the south... it just makes for bad games)

We get partied vs teams of all skills and prestige levels.  Sometimes vs clans, sometimes vs a team of complete no-mic randoms.

I can think of many times being in a party of all high prestigers playing vs a bunch of low ranked, no-mic split screeners*. We knew we were gonna mop the floor with them before the match even started.

* not saying against the whole community of split-screeners.. it is a statistical observation that many splitters are one person who owns the game, and another person going over to their buddies to play... typically both of them to young to be playing the game.  I do know however, of someone (a known forum user) who often plays split-screen and does very well.

I'm 20th Prestige and I usually am party leader - but when my lower ranked teammates start raging about how bad they are doing I tell them to invite me and they and myself instantly starting doing better. I now actually get them to invite me right off now.  

Feel free to try out my theory and let me know what your experience is.

rlbl

You could be explaining/experiencing matchmaking mechanics (making an assumption here)

If you are party leader you will be matched in lobbies closely matched as possible with people in your area (ping-wise).

Here is my assumption: You and the person in your party are not in the same "ping-locale". When you are the leader they are getting a lesser quality gaming experience because the people in the lobby are not near them.

When you made them leader, they are getting into lobbies with better pings to them. You being an experienced player are not going to suffer as much from a lower quality lobby, because you are a better player.

Again... that was an assumption. If you and the person you are speaking about are geographically close to each other (from a gaming perspective), then my theory is about as valuable as the scum that scum scrapes off their shoes...

go to have to give it try

Ungrateful_Dead

When I used my second account and started from scratch, it sure seemed like I was being put into lobbies full of low rank (less than level 80-0 Prestige.  However, when I went back to my main account I saw myself pulling the same lobbies often, so I have my doubts there is any "experience" ranking to the matchmaking.  They have enough trouble filling lobbies with players without trying to rank them at the same time.

One thing I have noticed that makes a HUGE difference when picking your party host is their proximity to the rest of the party.  When we are all fairly close geographically, any of us with decent internet can be leader and we will all rock solid connections 90% of the time.  If we run a full party, chances are very good one of us will be host.  As long as the opposition isn't dipping into yellow bar country, the lag/lag comp isn't bad and we can do very well. 

Now when we play with our friends from a couple of time zones away, it is a whole different story.  That friend can be a 4 bar host, but our good internet will leave at us a solid 3; good enough that we don't get any lag comp advantage, bad enough that we are way behind the guys closer to the host.  It is bad enough to keep you from accepting game invites because you know that you will have go mega try-hard just to break even.

BanHaMMer

robsstang wrote:

I don't pretend to understand all the mysterys of matchmaking, however.

One thing I have noticed is that you seem to want to pick the lowest ranked player with the worst stats in your group and make him Party Leader.

Doing this seems to result in the party being matched against easier competition and you will end up doing better for your stats.

Anyone else notice this ???

You won't improve killing noobs. Its just a piss poor way to get easy kills.

I said I do better - the kills still aren't that easy.

I've only seen a few of your posts yet I already have you pegged as a trolling little douchebag.

BanHaMMer

robsstang wrote:

I said I do better - the kills still aren't that easy.

I've only seen a few of your posts yet I already have you pegged as a trolling little douchebag.

What ever !

BanHaMMer

"easier competition and you will end up doing better with your stats"

As I said, easy kills against lesser ranked and LESS experianced players. I never troll, I tell it how it is. As I said, piss poor you can't play against players of equivilent rank "to do better with your stats"

No I won't lower myself to name calling.

I never figured out the mystery of matchmaking either. I'm 19 prestige and will get into lobbies of noobs and skilled players. I sometimes am party leader and sometimes other people are. Haven't notice any type of trend. It all looks random to me besides the whole time period thing. That's the biggest factor. Depending on what time of the day you play, you can find either more skilled players or more non skilled players.