26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 12:02 PM by XxMMartinezxX RSS

Should Infinity Ward be allowed to design another COD game?

My own personal thoughts on this is No yes they made a great game in cod 4 and it may have launched the cod franchise into the multiplayer giant that it is today however since Cod4 they have made the 2 worst cods in the games history MW2 was a travisty and they said ahhh screw it we cant be bothered to fix the things that are wrong with this game so deal with it.

Then Black Ops came out and my word was that game good yes in the early months it had its problems but by january I was living it up in Black Ops the game was balanced the killstreaks where awesome and yet easier to take down the maps design as in colour look didnt really do much for me but they all played really well.

Come June though I start to get hyped for the next cod I mean Treyarch showed us that Cod wasnt dead and that developers actually try to listen to their fans so I was psyched for MW3 and for the first 3 months or so apart from the spawns and the odd laggy game I enjoyed it then christmas happend and instead of playing with game nuts who pay out the nose for internet and will buy cod right off the release date I get to play with little jimmy who gets his internet from www.cuponastring.com and I get my ass throttled down to his level so I dont have an unfair advantage also the spawns degrade to a point of insanity the ACR and MP7 become recognised for the OP no recoil snipers that they are and everyone starts using them I get final standed more and more (thanks for that Jimmy)

Now This game had promise at the start for me but now due to lag comp, spawns, horrible weapon balance and all the cheap crap thats in this game instead of having fun I spend my time ******** about it on the forum.

God that felt good to let all the bile and venom spill out.

My question is do you think that infinity wards cod4 credits should allow them another shot or do you think that activision should give someone else a chance?

Also Im thinking of trading in mw3 for black ops but most of my mates play on mw3 so Im trying to decide is there any chance of salvation for MW3? is there any news of  a lag comp patch or spawn patch or at least buffs or nerfs that will lessen acrs and mp7s being everyones security blanket?

• Re: Should Infinity Ward be allowed to design another COD game?
    chris_shanahan87

I thoroughly enjoyed MW2 and it remains my most played MP game to date.

MW3 was the product of a bad situation and bad timing. Don't forget West and Zampella took most of the IW talent along with them to Respawn and so the game had some development issues which meant that Sledgehammer and Treyarch had to be called in to help. It's hard to say how much of MW3 (if anything) West and Zampella and their team contributed before they left.

I personally loved the campaign, the multiplayer is good but not the best. However with MW4 I would presume that proper resources have been allocated  (new IW staff) and we have a new engine too look forward too. It can't be any worse than the filler that Treyarch put out every other year... 

Im sorry filler? WAW imo is better than Cod4 thats my own personal feelings and experiences and Black Ops is in a different league compared to MW2 and MW3.

you loved MW2??? I enjoyed some aspects maps mainly but the faults of that game made it unplayable OMA noob tubes not patched, danger close, commando, quickscoping which requires no skill and ofc the weapon balance was awful and then you add in the out of map glitches the elavators the boosting for nukes all this and more happend in MW2 with little to no response from infinity ward.

MW3's campaign is 3 hours long if your lucky and its got some cool scenes in it note I said scenes  as the gameplay is blah.

Now I know you posted your personal feelings toward the game and as they are personal to you I cant argue what you should feel but Im pretty sure the majority of gamers was disappointed with mw2 and mw3.

that6uy420

chris_shanahan87 wrote:

MW3 was the product of a bad situation and bad timing. Don't forget West and Zampella took most of the IW talent along with them to Respawn and so the game had some development issues which meant that Sledgehammer and Treyarch had to be called in to help. It's hard to say how much of MW3 (if anything) West and Zampella and their team contributed before they left.

I personally loved the campaign, the multiplayer is good but not the best. However with MW4 I would presume that proper resources have been allocated  (new IW staff) and we have a new engine too look forward too. It can't be any worse than the filler that Treyarch put out every other year... 

MW2 was a product of a bad situation.....they left right after it came out.   0 support from the start.

MaxKirgan

chris_shanahan87 wrote:

Most people assume the IW exodus was out of loyalty to Jason and Vince. That may have been a small part but certainly not the whole story. Activision whithheld money they owed IW for MW2. They promised them that money if they agreed to make MW3, and MW3 hit certain revenue landmarks as well Activision wanted MW3 to get a certain metacritic (95% or above I believe) rating or they would't get paid at all. Feeling slighted and that they were never going to see their money, not to mention in the new contract IW signed with Activision in 2009, they had the rights to make another game before MW3, it's a no brainer why so many people left. There's currently an ongoing civil suit between the ex IW devs and Activision to get them the money they are owed by Activision. Moral of the story: Jason Vince, nor the ex IW devs are not to blame here. Activision is.

xblbw

Funny rant that. Just turned it off after 6 massively laggy games straight, so I'm not in a position to vote objectively. Think it has some good stuff in it, but who cares if you can't have a decent game or play your DLC. I tell you this much, I'm thinking of canceling my BOII preorder and seeing where the chips fall after Xmas, and by that I mean connections and whether or not it is worth paying for DLC.

Izjar11

Should a privatly owned company be allowed to produce another game? Of course they can, question is better set as following:

Does the Market want to purchase the next title?

Im under no illusions that Activision will sack infinity ward though if I was head of activision (I would be souless with a healthier back account J/k) I would be disappointed with the press that my title is getting in the gaming world.

I just wanted to gauge the feeling of discontent to see if Cod4 still had that rose tint effect hell my rose tint has only just disappeared in the last few months because I rebought cod 4 and do you know something there is little to no lag in that game even now WAW is unfortunatly hacked up the wazoo so I cant storm the castle and the game is very very gun orientated thanks to the lack of kill streaks and the chopper isnt op or overly annoying but still useful when you get it.

Oh and btw just so Its not undisclosed though it should be obvious by now I am a treyarch fanboy  due to WAW being so good  and black ops being so damn playable and enjoyable

Izjar11

This is the thing, these online games can never satisfy everyone (quiet impossible) many here complain, states valid cases and they (the producers) listen and wheter or not they fix it they attempt to make things better (attempt is the word)

We do not know of a contract between IW and activision but if activision wanted they could perfectly well cancel any future dealings with IW, problem is who is next?

Treyarch is good, but they have a different variety of the game than what IW delivers. Its very complicated business matters that can doom or continue sucess the next COD game.

phxs72

I'd say yes. If you look past the lag, they introduced several new and exciting things in MW3 and they have been working hard to improve the game.  Now looking at the lag, yes its often bad but I can still remember playing BO and it lagged too.  Less now than then but they've had nine months of MW3 out plus all of their time in BO to work things out.  I'm hoping that Treyarch brings us BO2 with minimal lag issues but I won't be suprised if they struggle out the gate as well.  I fully expect that 6 months from now everone will be down on Treyarch for whatever BO2's issues are and praising just how great IW and MW3 was.  It's a cycle and we always seem to have the most problems with whomever the guy is in the drivers seat at the time.

that6uy420

phxs72 wrote:

I'd say yes. If you look past the lag, they introduced several new and exciting things in MW3 and they have been working hard to improve the game.  Now looking at the lag, yes its often bad but I can still remember playing BO and it lagged too.  Less now than then but they've had nine months of MW3 out plus all of their time in BO to work things out.  I'm hoping that Treyarch brings us BO2 with minimal lag issues but I won't be suprised if they struggle out the gate as well.  I fully expect that 6 months from now everone will be down on Treyarch for whatever BO2's issues are and praising just how great IW and MW3 was.  It's a cycle and we always seem to have the most problems with whomever the guy is in the drivers seat at the time.

what was it that they introduced other than strike package?  New titles?  No, that's not it!  New story?  Nope... nothing there again.  Deathstreaks...  nope, they brought those back.  Stackable killstreaks...  oh yeah, those were brought back too!  Moab...  nope, not new.  Quickscoping?  Well, after TA got rid of it... IW happily brought it back in an extra overpowered (oversimplified) sense.  So... what was it again besides strike package that we are seeing as new here?

Regardless of the amount of glitter you put on a turd.. it's still a turd!

xblbw

Weapon proficiencies, different kill steaks for different classes, face off (not that I'm a fan), survival ( again...), Elite,  there is probably more.

that6uy420

elite was there during black ops... it may have been a beta form but who is to say that it isn't still in beta form.  Different killstreaks for different classes...  that would be the strike package that I mentioned. They ruined HC...  not to mention shafted them by not giving them all the modes that they ALWAYS have to fight tooth and nail to get. I'll agree with you on the face-off.  I kind of like the survival missions but that is neither here nor there since it's basically a non-zombie version of zombies or Horde from GoW.   Like I said, regardless of the amount of glitter you put on a turd, it's still a turd.

For me its a yes, my only problems are launchers the way they are in HC, final-stand and machine pistols as backup weapons, with the lag situation what on earth do you guys expect, your playing a game with 11 people across the world which after travelling from them to you it then has to go through a console then through a TV screen then through your controller and don't start with oh but the lag comp, my answer to that is learn to deal with it, same with spawns and maps, its only been out what 9 months yet you still complain, if it bothers you so much don't play.

zingaa

This game just drive people insane.

What do I expect? well how about the same connection speed and in game performance as say cod 4 which I played recently and even on a 3 bar which I got quite a bit thanks to the abundance of american players and the limited supply of people in the UK who played and yet it had a better connection performance and its nearly 6 years old for crying out loud.

I lived in the country when mw2 was out I 2 barred consistantly because of how crap my internet was so I adapted and played almost preemptively so that I could offset the lag I got because of my garbage internet and whilst it wasnt a great connection and rightly so at least it was consistant.

I now have the best possible internet in my country with a great ping and no packet loss and amazing speeds and because of mw3s crappy NEW lag comp system I have to try to adapt to a different connection performance every match it seems and sometimes halfway through if the host quits.

I bought the game which means I also bought the right to evaluate and share my thoughts on not only the game but also the company who owns the franchise and the developer who made it.

P.S. You made a post a while back about how the top posters where all negative and being ******** (your words) in almost every post and you stated you were going to try and not to be negative anymore well congrats I see it is working splendidly.

they should have another crack , but for me sort out the killstreaks its just got plain stupid imo , take it back to gun on gun action killstreaks are a bonus for good play not the main event .

no, they shouldn't have another shot at it. why should they?  MW3 and elite is epic fail.  I really wanted to like this game and i really wish they would have fixed the lag issue but they haven't.  If given up on the hope of them fixing it.  IMO its all of to 3arc to save the franchise.  Ppl can chime in and tell us all they want. that we wills still by another iw ver of CoD but i wont. I can assure you of that.

They are already coming up with the story for their next game right now. And they are making it for next generation consoles.

Medal oh honor released a new trailer for MOH Warfighter today, and the graphics look like real life. If they can do such amazing things on this gen console, then IW can make their next game even better on next gen. (Hopefully) I've lost faith in them though.

Oh and P.S. IW should fire their map designers!

MW3 had a few strong points. The multiplayer, imo, started out better than it's come to be, whatever kind of multi-patched trash bag of a system it is now. I live in the gulf coast, and play regularly with a buddy of mine who lives in Milwaukee, and for the first, 12 or 13 prestiges, we played fine. Recently, however, the matchmaking has made it impossible for us to play anything, even Survival Mode or Spec Ops missions.

So, that's the connection issues.

Deathstreaks: Why reward a player for going 0-6, and give him a remote detonated C4 upon his 7th death, only to kill a guy that has been excelling at the current game, and stop him short of getting his Reaper or AC-130? That makes zero sense.

Spawn System: I've literally had killcams where the guy can see his own body dying as he's spawning, just to poke right out and get immediate payback. Maps like Seatown, Carbon, Hardhat, it's almost pointless to  kill anybody, because they're going to spawn right behind you, turn ONE corner, and kill you again.

Now, for what it's worth, W@W was complete trash, I don't think I've ever bought and re-sold a game as quickly as that, and I played Black ops for a total of, 15 minutes. The engines just didn't feel the same as Cod4, Mw2, and Mw3, and I didn't feel like trying to readjust. But now, in the later stages of mw3, when the lag and connections are getting so horrible, I almost feel like going play Black ops, just because of their dedicated servers. At least I'll know I'll get some decent, and full, games in. Even if my guy feels like he's being suspended in the air by rubber bands.

I'm only hopeful for Black Ops II because it's been stated that the devs are working with MLG to make a game that will be competitive, and that to me is all I'm concerned about. Better maps, better spawns, better lay outs, and hopefully better connection. They tried to fix the garbage matchmaking system in mw3, maybe this can be used as a great head start for mw4, or BO2.

JTSN

I personally hated mw2 with a passion that game is so ****** that i wont even begin to describe all the **** that is wrong with it the only thing that game had going for them was it probably had the best map designs compared to blops and mw3  but thats not the topic here any way i feel like before infinity ward makes another cod game they better recheck their staff because if they mess up another cod game that will be it for them

ProHaste

Should they make a new one? Nope.

Infinity ward should just remake COD 4 Exactly the way it was with no bullcrap in todays games, and then wait a couple years and put actual effort and thought in the next COD after MW3. If they did ever remake COD 4 which there not. It should be in a new game engine with more player custimization ( Looks, camo, face paint, etc...) With the addition of free dlc of maps from other IW games from the other games.