30 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 6:17 PM by Chairman Meow RSS

Does size matter?

In accordance with lag, how important is the size of your tv? Is smaller really better? Is a computer monitor better than a tv?

• Re: Does size matter?

I don't see the correlation between lag and TV size. But here is my opinion. A bigger TV definitely helps more. If the screen is enlarged you can see things that you couldn't see with a little tiny kitchen TV. I have a 32" TV I believe and it most certainly helps my gaming experience.

How its hooked up probally matters more than size of the tv or monitor.

Some of my "hardcore" gaming friends say the larger tv's refresh slower, so it creates slight lag. Monitors refresh faster than most tv's. Just curious how true it was.

If you get one of those smart tvs with a contrast ratio of 10,000,000:1 and a like 480Hz refresh rate it will put to shame a monitor if you have the money. I wouldn't get plasma though because of the burn out. Stick with led. But if you have the money, a big screen tv will be better than a monitor.

If you want the least amount of input lag possible, use a monitor. The difference is huge. But,you have to give up the happiness of a big screen.

Thesandman

What's best,plasma or LCD? I have a 42" LCD and was wondering if there is much difference in the 2 types.

I don't think bigger TVs create any noticeable lag, but I play on a high 40s inch TV. I wouldn't go any bigger, because just like a meat stick too big is horrible to play with... so I have heard.

banned-again

ive a 51 inch hd tv and i must admit i took alot of deaths when i first got it just because of how great everything looks in hd but now it has improved my game

kmya

I have 3 playstations

2 on 21" LCD tvs for the kids and 1 on a 55" Sony 3D super monster tv.

My son plays on the 21" and gets 30-40 kills on 3v3 face off maps. Last night he even got 62-13. When he switches over to the bigger 55" tv he struggles to get 20. He says it's a lot harder with more space to look cover with your eyes. Take it for what it is he is only 10.

Foxhound-Pro

Bigger TVs usually have...

- A slower ms reponse time.

- Higher frequencies that are great for 1080p Blu-Rays, but are bad for gaming.

- Too much space in which you need to move your head.

Do some research on it. It's best for you to learn these things yourself.

RAMBONER

Get a decent size SD tv.  Im telling you the game looks great on my 10 year old 36" tv and the response time is awesome.  I have a 2 year old 55" LCD with HDMI cables and the game graphically looks better but its hard as hell to kill anyone and it seems to have some lag.  I know its not the internet as its the same as I use on my SD TV.  Also 36" on standard def is a pretty big TV since its not widescreen.  I am pretty set on SD tvs being the way to go unfortunately.

@Foxhound-Pro...

I'm playing on a samsung 40-inch w/5ms response... i've turned on the game mode but can't seem to figure out how to remove or turn off motion smoothing.

You have any ideas how to find out if it's on this tv model, or how to remove it if it is? I tried looking up the manual via pdf but this stupid gen 1 ipad won't let me view them. Any help would be greatlly appreciated.

Foxhound-Pro

I've got a 40in Samsung also. Let me go check my tv settings. I'll edit this once I'm done and then send you a PM with the same info.

This is for my model TV: LN26B460B2DXZA

Menu → Picture → Picture Options

Under picture options the Auto Motion Plus toggle will be there.

Menu → Setup → General

Under this branch you'll find the Game Mode toggle.

For me, turning Game Mode on turns Auto Motion Plus off.

I also suggest turning off the Eco and Edge enhancements off. I just rather have the raw image pump through than be filtered by the TV.

I play on a small 22 inch Samsung HDTV, and I love it.

barneykiller

lol I read the title and didn't know what this was going to be about. lol but yes there is a thing called frame rate lag and most wider tv's have worse frame rate lag.

big tvs are harder to play on you have to search more area to see the same thing. the best setup i have found is a 32in LCD with a good (not a cheapo) hdmi cable. i would not worry with optic cable they are not much better than a good hdmi alittle but not worth it in my eyes enless you are having a delay between sound and vidoe. i also found my kills went down when my tv died and i went to a 19in or a 42in 33in lcd seems to be the majic number

Eye_Gore

Ok first off, how close are people sitting to the TV in that they have to search a larger area? If you have to turn your head to see the entire TV, you are sitting too close. Second, larger TV's will have more lag unless you adjust settings as needed. The larger the TV the more image prccessing the TV needs to do.

When you take current flat screens, whether it be LCD, Plasma, DLP, projection, they all have image proccessing. This will induce lag, there is no getting around it. Most TV's will have options such as game mode to eliminate as much lag as possible. Currently Plasma have the least amount. LCD's that use LED lighting are a very close second, and may conquer Plasma's someday.

As an example. I have a Sharp Aquos 52 inch LED lit LCD screen, its a few years old. Bit off topic but this is the best way I can see this. The game Rock Band. You need to calibrate the TV audio and visual, so that you can hit the notes on que. With my TV on "user" setting which I set up for optimal movie viewing the game will lag upwards of 120-160ms. May not seem like alot. But when I put it on game mode and calibrate the game, the lag is almost non-existant, maybe 2-5ms. With a game like that you can see the how the lag is induced. It carries over to FPS games like COD.

Technology has come a long way, most TV's nowadays have options to combat online gaming lag. So as it may once stood the smaller TV's would have less lag, and largers would be more. But this is changing, and if you know how to set up your TV, you may not have any TV induced lag. So check out your TV, check online for the best way to use it for gaming, you may be doing it wrong.

How do you not search the screen on a fps like cod. if you are only looking at your barrel you will be 5 and 20. you have to look around to see whats going on. if you have a 32 in instead of a 50in thats alot less area to look around and i get the same game area as your 50in just on a smaller area. basicly you have to look around on the tv sceen to see places that peopl might be while you are moving your person aiming and everything else on a 50 it just expands it out to much. it has nothing to do with how close you are sitting it has to do with how quick you can see something on the side of the screen while seeing whats infront of you. not trying to sound like a **** just think you got the wrong impression from everyone.

Eye_Gore

I know what you are saying its just that, with my TV, I'm sitting about 10 or so feet from it, so I really don't need to scan the entire screen, I can see everything with my peripheral vision. With such a large screen is funny how you can pick up the slightest movement off to the side.

Smaller TVs where you can see the entire screen without moving your eyes around are the best. They have very little, if not no, input lag, and prevent those deaths from enemies in the far left corner of the screen that you could not see.

There is a small difference. Computer Monitors>Tube TVs>Widescreen TVs. Newer Widescreen TVs will have a lot less lag than older ones.

On large TVs you may not be able to focus on the entire screen at once, but they can feel more immersive.