20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 9:19 AM by phxs72 RSS

Tips and tricks

I am a fairly new player well about 5 months new... Anyone wanna share some good tips or tricks? Well strategies .... not so much tricks haha

• Re: Tips and tricks
    monkeylord

If you play a lot of kill confirmed the scavanger perk is a waste. On bad rounds load up with recon pro and return to the area you've died quite a lot in. The route will be filled with free ammo and also you'll have injured enemy lit up making getting certain streaks easy to hit a few times each match.

And on good rounds you tend not to need the extra ammo anyway as when your bullets seem to work you barely bother reloading as a couple of shots is enough plus if you're always pushing forward there's a lot of guns on the floor.

Try every gun, every play style and every game mode until you find the right combo of what works for you.

I used to love SMGs and running around like a jack ass in previous CoDs, but frankly I sucked doing that. I found a more defensive approach and ARs fit me best. You can take any tips you want and listen to people who think theyre good explain what they do, but at the end of the day you will only do well playing to your own strengths and doing what you're most comfortable with

Oh I totally understand but I like to hear other people's opinions and what they do or use , it gets the juices flowing. As I am semi new to mw3 and I don't know a lot of things .. I like ARs though I tried other guns but can't seem to get the hang of them .. Patients I know lol

Then stick with the ARs if that's what works for you. My best advice to you as an AR guy is to start off with the Scar or ACR. Both are low recoil and perform well in all situations. Once you master those move onto other full autos, and even burst weapons. Eventually one will just click for you

Yes thank you! I like the ACR . I use the scar in the beginning but I find I shoot better with the ACR I don't know why because the scar has better statistics .. The ak is ok too .. But I find the scar and ak bouncy ....

monkeylord

Kill confirmed is best played on a tag for life basis. You can go 37-7 but if you only got 3 confirms and 2 denies you went negative by two and placed the burden on your team to make the kills count.

Probably the best and safest way to play it in a clan but when running solo in public lobbies not so cool as you're an overall drain.

Every tag you grab makes a death mean nothing you die 18 times but collect 23 tags you put 5 in the point bank so more deaths if played right doesn't always mean less kills as you'll find that the rounds you manage to collect enough tags to cancel out your deaths your KD climbs and so does your SPM I think mine at the moment is 320 spm also mangaged to drag my W/L ratio up to 53% and steadily climbing.

Playing tag for life has seemed to get rid of the trouncings and more rounds of 65-63 are popping up. with even laggy rounds very close. I always look at my deaths and as long as i've collected more tags than deaths then I know I took in more bankable points then I paid out.

monkeylord

Also although people get hung up on KD in kill confirmed the true point system is Kills=0 points Deaths= -1 point Tag = +1 point

I ask you this every time as well as everyone else who feels a similar way. The point of Kill Confirmed is to collect more tags than the enemy. In order to create tags, you need to get kills, so kills aren't worthless. On top of that, dying gives the enemy the opportunity to get tags.

Saying kills are worth nothing in KILL confirmed is a bit ridiculous.

monkeylord

not_dlundebjerg28 wrote:

I ask you this every time as well as everyone else who feels a similar way. The point of Kill Confirmed is to collect more tags than the enemy. In order to create tags, you need to get kills, so kills aren't worthless. On top of that, dying gives the enemy the opportunity to get tags.

Saying kills are worth nothing in KILL confirmed is a bit ridiculous.

Kills are worth nothing untill you grab the tag if 1 person kills 100 times the teams point bank doesn't climb at all. chuck ontop the speed of a round and to many kills are counter productive as the tags will be jumping location way to much.

Killing to much with no realistic chance of confirming the kill is at best an empty gesture at worse can hurt any randoms on the team.

For me it's a shrugger kills = 0 points. Playing the tags brings in the kills as tags is where the enemy is gonna be.

So run with recon and get amongst the tags that way you can get lots of kills and tags I average 20 kills a round with 21 tags (16 confirms 5 denies) collected by myself.

I mostly die less than I kill and the norm is i'm top for kills/score lately so even on a bad round I put 10 points in the bank chuck ontop of that I keep marking up people who kill me letting others know where the wounded are and where the enemy team are making it easier to generate kills and tag sweeps.

I may not always get the benefit of the tag sweeps but it's a team game and my one death can possibly generate 4 or 5 tags if just one member of my team is on the ball.

Whilst someone who just pop shots people with no solid recovery plan will most often give points away as their tag when they die is hard to retrieve and 99% of the time will go in the enemy point bank.

So it's easy to go 40-6 and still cost the team a few points and also put the randoms in a bad spot as the enemy often get a decent respawn.

It's pretty easy to say why the system is kills=0 deaths = -1 and tags = +1 play as a OMA create and confirm every tag you can never count on anyone and  most of the time you will have to herd the enemy where you need them so even though you may die theres always somone on your team close enough by to take advantage of your death.

Do you occasionally crash and burn? hell yeah but more often than not you finish well across the board and win or lose lag or no lag playing for the tags means you're never bored

monkeylord

not_dlundebjerg28 wrote:

. On top of that, dying gives the enemy the opportunity to get tags.

Sorry to waffle on but the reason I think I must be doing something right lies in the numbers. I know you don't care for them and thats cool but bare with me.

I mainly run solo or play split screen with the missus, most rounds I play has at least one enemy whos AR of choice sounds like a shottie and i'd say on the correction side i'm slightly behind and sometimes even the basics fail. Other rounds it's a dream to play but if i'm honest a good lobby is about 1 in 10 and normally happens if not many people leave or join the lobby.

Out of the past 57 rounds i've won 42 and lost only 15 and a couple of them was when I get dropped into a round thats almost over with something stupid like 62-23.

Without thoese 4 rounds I only lost 11 out of 53 thats a win loss ratio of over 3. I think a 3 win loss ratio trumps a 2+ KD yeah you may die less than me but i'll kill where it counts and pull a game through to a win while most with a 2KD are normally mid- place on the leader board and and most of them have trouble breaking even when it comes to how much they put in and took out of the team score pot.

If you're not playing TDM/FFA KD is no indicator of how good you are SPM is good and so is win loss who cares if your kd is .50 when pretty much every round you play in you win who would you rather have on your team someone who wins and if you follow them you get kills and loads of points with few deaths or someone who hides out like this is a combat sim but doesn't give two craps about the team and will most likely let enemy past to keep their streak or KD alive.

Like I've said before, you're play style does produce positive results. But, IMO, trading tag for tag, or even giving up you're own tag in general when it can be avoided is not a smart move.

I'd rather win a game 10-0 (or 5-2) than trade tags and squeak out a 65-64 win where we just trade tags back and forth. To you, the point of KC is to get to 65 tags before the enemy. To me, the point of KC is to pick up more tags than the enemy

monkeylord

not_dlundebjerg28 wrote:

I'd rather win a game 10-0 (or 5-2) than trade tags and squeak out a 65-64 win where we just trade tags back and forth. To you, the point of KC is to get to 65 tags before the enemy. To me, the point of KC is to pick up more tags than the enemy

Here's where you're really confused and have a total blind spot to logic my psn is creamedmonkey check my matches I win by 65-40 and the enemy is high on deaths and low on score I win by aggresively suppressing the enemy.

In short i'm counting on the fact that i'm good enough to go behind enemy lines with them knowing i'm coming and being outnumbered three to one and still collect enough tags,marks, equipment destroys to cancel out the 1 point i'm risking.

While I finish with a respectable +1.29 KD ratio and a +3 win loss ratio.

Also my style of tag trading keeps my score high and cancels out laggy rounds being a wash out ending more like 65-40 rather than 65-20 quite often i'm the only guy going positive and getting most kills and score overall.

You think totally wrong you see the death in a vacuum a death is -1 point thats it you have 65 to spend with that 1 point you have only 2 options protect the point and waste 10 minutes winning 10 tags to 0 but still knowing even with such a low win you still went negative 2 points as you didn't bother with tags and heres the thing doing this you win less than half of your rounds and you have a clan so you need your clan to win as you can't secure the points needed to win.

Or you can trade that -1 point or death to make as many points as you can if you pick up just 2 tags your up by a point.

We clash on style but heres the rewards of my style over the past month now this is after 188 rounds played. My SPM=410 KD 1.38 kills 3681 confirms 3215 denies 960 overall w/l 53%

All i'm saying is if you post your stats up it would be harder to argue your point as everything apart from KD is way lower than what tag collecters do.

Tag collecters win games thats it to say anything else defies logic if you never collect tags you can not win.

People who finish with no tags take points away from the team for every extra death you have above your total tags collected thats a point you gave the enemy team.

Over the course of my KC carrier I have managed to collect a total of 135276  tags i've died 107662 times so taking my deaths from my tags means i've scored a total of +27614.

Sorry to say this dude but your style puts you at -39772.

Your style costs the real points while protecting a ratio that means nothing at all tags = win if you're not collecting tags you are not helping to win. you're happy to take small wins with a meh level of joy and the truth being you was a drag on the team think about it dude you put up over 39 thousand points for the enemy to nab and force your team to cover I grabbed an extra 27 thousand points for the team pot meaning tags contribute more to a win than a high KD.

Smart tag collectors like to win by destroying the enemy we charge in and come out the other side always making sure the point ratio is in line for a win 1 for 1 is fine if you do it right.

Youtube is your best friend. Check out Tmartn or Woodysgamertag. Their channels are dedicated to helping anyone who wants it.

phxs72

That's actually some good advice.  Tmartn does breakdown videos of each gun's pluses and minuses as well as gives good Lines of Sight suggestions.  Woodysgamertag has a series running called Tactical Tuesday's which points out mistakes made in his gameplay and where he did things right.  It gets you thinking.  Of course there are other guys out there as well that do a lot of commentary but if you look at their gameplay you can pick up on things that they are doing to get those big numbers.  Just keep in mind that some of those video's out there are staged to make the gamer look good.  So if you're thinking to yourself that what you just saw could never work then you're probably right.

s_paw1

One of the thing I told my friend when he was starting COD (MW3 actually) was that the community hates campers. Now he goes ape sh!t and just runs infront of enemies or jumps directly into the flag all the time. Its been 4-5 months and he still does that. I think the only way to get better in COD is to know where the enemies are and where they are spawning. You will build accuracy and weapon/perk decision eventually playing the game but knowing where the enemies are or when to engage or take cover are the best way to get better in COD. just my opinion.

phxs72

Another good point.  Nobody likes getting shot by a camper but nobody likes getting killed by a rusher either.  The bottom line is everybody camps somewhere in their gameplay unless they are living in the magic kingdom of no lag.  Most employ a combination of camp/rush.  But as a beginner, I think that you need to camp so that you can get a better picture of traffic patterns.  Or you can rush around like I did when I started and watch a whole lot of killcams to figure out where everybody is hiding.  It kills your kd though so not everybody has the stomach for that approach.  This is a fast paced game and the bottom line is that you need to slow it down for you and camping is a good way to start to figure things out.

When I first started and I did do that route . So my k/d is fantastic lol.. (sarcastic) Ive slowly learned where the hot spots are but beating them to the trigger is half the battle. Now I am alittle better lol My wife actually plays the most and kicks my butt, go figure! But we have fun playing MW3 good or bad . I think camping is the way to go sometimes. Sneaky snakes get the kill. And anyways whos to say what camping really is? Everyone camps , if its reloading, regaining health, sh!tty game , the guy around the corner hiding so you take cover , care packages. I never stay in the same spot for more then a few seconds lol. I think also my problem was I started playing HC first because all my friends play it!

phxs72

Ooo HC is definitely hard to learn on because you don't get the advantage of a kill cam and it's pretty much insta death.  Rapid reflexes and good aim are essential to do well in HC.  Both take time to develop.  Lag doesn't tend to bother me as much in HC but if you're just starting out you are probably exposing yourself more than I do and there it could actually be more of a factor for you since it doesn't take but 1 or 2 bullets to kill.  Core is more forgiving on the aim portion but you've got to be able to out manuver your opponent as well as get the drop on them to succeed.  I play core mostly.  So if you want to team up sometime just let me know.

zestroy

Hi,

Strafing in CQC is paramount. If you engage an enemy head on the result becomes unpredictable. Drop shooting and straf jumping are effective but I find going behind cover for just an instant the most effective. Flashing in and out of cover causes your adversary to stop shooting. When you reengage, they are hard pressed to react fast enought giving you the advantage. Also, when you "flash cover" many enemies will try to reload making themselves easy kills.

Good luck and don't do this against me. Take the bullet!