1 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next 167 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 10:51 AM by raarethebest Go to original post RSS
  • 150. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

nuttin2say wrote:

BTW, J, though I haven't been active on the forums for a few days, I have still been following my favorite conversations and A LOT of information has come out in the last couple of days regarding flaws in the system.

Thanks for explaining that fibre line stuff mate...

And Oh Really? Prey PM and tell Sir?

• 151. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing
    codchamp

This thread is still going on? People still deffending the reason to dash? Like i said before, if you dash, you care about stats. You are also selfish and your stats mean nothing at that point. I get dashed on all the time and it happend 5 times yesterday. It is all good. I still got a 10.00+ W/L....and it is legit.

• 152. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

WonkySausage wrote:

Now i've reached a point in MW3 where I won't go further in terms of prestige (6) and level (80), I'll probably not dashboard as much. That said, I've barely played in like 2 months just because i'm sick and tired of all this.

If you want to find me on elite or something, my gamertag is my username, with a space between the two words rather than one whole word. By all means, join sesh if you fancy a game, whilst I appear a moany old bastard on here, I actually enjoy a good game on CoD with good peeps.

I can't play with US players I'm afraid because I or they end up on a 2bar or I would join you for a few... lol

Jump off of that FFA if you wanna up your W/L a bit...

I'm just an average skilled player, but I still can't get enough of this sh!t...

• 153. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

wow 16 pages of people defending dashboarding? wow. if you dashboard you are just a stat whore, i can understand quitting or leaving a game you feel is too laggy or you get put in a game, because the whole team quit and you spawn in with all this airsupport in the air and the other team running amok. if you dashboard all you are doing is trying to pad your stats, why dashboard? just quit and find another lobby. dashboarding is so the game cant record how horrible you just did. i read a few excuses and they are laughable.....

• 154. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing
    nuttin2say

OMG!!! Yikes! Mommy! Mommy!

sum weerd man on call ub dootee kawld me a stat hoar!!!

LOL!

(couldn't resist the temptation for a response like that).

Anyway, to be fair, I'd say it's actually about 5 pages of people defending DB'ing and 11 pages of people calling DB'ers stat whores. No offense intended toward either side of the debate ... just saying.

• 155. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

I KNOW RIGT!

• 156. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

with nothing to say, you sure said alot. my point is, if you are dashboarding to escape a bad game or lag why not just leave the lobby and find another? isnt that much easier and quicker rather than powering up your system again and loading up the game again? signing in again?

doesnt that also put some serious wear on the system? i think i came across someone who said they dashboarded 15x in one day? turning off and on the game that much cant be good for the life of your system, not to mention thats not a good way to turn off your xbox in the middle of a game while connected online. the only reason i see to dashboard is to not have those deaths count towards your stats.

• 157. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing
    nuttin2say

Here's the thing ... there's bigger things in life to worry about than Call of Duty.

That goes for both sides of the argument. If someone dashboards because of stats, I mean, really, what's the point? Are the Dallas Cowboys going to try to sign you as a free agent because you're an elite gamer? Okay, maybe not the cowboys ... but MLG/GB is not going to offer you some special contract, either.

On the flip side of the coin, as IW has explained, there are a lot of reasons why a host may leave a match unexpectedly. Someone can trip on a cord (though it has not happened in my house in years, that could very easily happen), there could be a storm that causes electricity to blip or blink, there could be a regional or area power shortage, construction down the street can cause a connection to be lost, a child or pet could accidently press the on/off button ... there are a lot of reasons why it can appear that someone "dashboarded."

In the eyes of IW, it is not fair to credit those persons a loss because of events outside their control (not my opinion, the opinion of IW & Activision in general since TA works the same way).

Now, the logical comeback is that it is not fair to the rest of the lobby that a "good" match is not counted. While this is true, not everyone in the lobby is having a "good" match. In fact, at best, it is usually no more than four players having what is normally considered a "good" match. And to most of those four players, a "good" match is not really extraordinary (in other words, it's just another "good" match). Thus, to those players, generally the fact a game was ended prematurely without consequences does not matter to them.

IW provided other reasons, as well, why dashboarding does not count as a loss. I don't necessarily agree with this line of logic ... but I can see their point of view ... as well as the point of view of all the players involved with the above scenarios.

Yes, I can make arguments as to why the the dashboarder should still be credited a loss. In fact, I made such arguments. But the problem is, once the host's connection is lost, there is flat out no way to know what the outcome of the game would have been. I've been in too many matches where scores have done unbelievable reversals. I think most everyone posting here can recall such a match. If not, you haven't played enough Call of Duty.

Then you get into the issue of boosters, as well. As some of you may know, anyone can create a free Xbox Live account that lasts for thirty days before your free period of online gaming ends. What is to stop someone from creating such an account and purposely entering lobbies in order to dashboard - scoring themselves a loss and their buddy a win? Boosting is already a problem, changing the system would only make it worse.

At the end of the day, IW is fully aware of the dashboarding loophole. Unfortunately, they have no intention of ever changing this aspect of their game because of the reasons above as well as other reasons. What's more, as so many people have noted, dashboarding takes a lot of time away from gaming time. As far as IW is concerned, dashboard all you want: it will take you that much longer to build up enough stats to be considered a respectable gamer.

All of this considered, I gave up my fight against dashboarding early in the release of MW3. I do not advocate dashboarding. At times, as I have stated a couple times in this thread, I do it myself ... but I am very sparing in my use of the big X button. J knows why I do it and I understand his point of view and I fully respect it.

So this is what I suggest people do if they don't like dashboarders. Keep a pen and a piece of paper handy. If you know who the host was and that person dashboarded, write down their GT as best you can then look that person up in the Dashboard (using friends search) and then Submit a Review - avoiding that player for poor sportsmanship.

Stressing over dashboarding is simply going to ruin your gaming experience.

• 158. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing
    nuttin2say

ovadosa wrote:

with nothing to say, you sure said alot. my point is, if you are dashboarding to escape a bad game or lag why not just leave the lobby and find another? isnt that much easier and quicker rather than powering up your system again and loading up the game again? signing in again?

doesnt that also put some serious wear on the system? i think i came across someone who said they dashboarded 15x in one day? turning off and on the game that much cant be good for the life of your system, not to mention thats not a good way to turn off your xbox in the middle of a game while connected online. the only reason i see to dashboard is to not have those deaths count towards your stats.

That's not how "dashboarding" as you are refering to works. A player does not have to power down their system. All they need to do is hit the button on their controller that pulls up the console dashboard screen. On Xbox 360, that's the center, green "X" button. A screen pops up asking if the player wants to go to the Main Menu. Hit the "Y" button and, poof, game over and no negative effects from that game are recorded against your stats.

With COD games, the fact that you were in that game is recorded. It will even show you what you accomplished before you left the game.

The stats of every other player DO record.

Only the stats of the player who dashboarded are not recorded.

To get back into another lobby takes a grand total of about 30 seconds.

• 159. Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

o ok, i stand corrected, dashboarding? back to the xbox dashboard D'OH! i get it. makes sense. i thought it was the hard press where you turn off the system or the controller. either way though, its still kind of lame to do that, like i said if you are going to quit just leave the lobby. i quit plenty of games i just leae the lobby and search for a new one. my stats be damned, which they pretty much are anyway. lol. btw if you can start a game and get into a lobby from the dashboard all in thirty seconds i want the xbox you have.