48 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 6:32 AM by mdm123456789 RSS

Weapons have never been Overpowered

mdm123456789

I don't understand so hopefully there will be some good responses on this. Out of ALL the people in the CoD comunity, why is it that most cry about a weapon being OP? I mean, can't we have SOME realism within this game? All weapons do not and are not supposed to do the same damage and have the same ROF as the others. I read all the time how people think a gun should be nerfed because it's peoples favorite and is being used to much or how it's just simply OP, I don't think that if the actual Military kept incountering enemies with mounted .50 cal machine guns would stop in mid war, throw their hands up in the form of a "T" and scream "time out" so they can complain about to many enimies using those guns, then rally together to get them nerfed. I call bullsh*t and if these people who think they are so good at this game are infact as good as they say, then they will stop crying and beat their enemy by adapting and/or using their "skill" they claim to have. BF3 was a good game until weapons started to get nerfed beyond uselessness, thanks to these people I speak of. Does this game have it's own flaws? Hell yes it does. So we need to stop complaining about "the gun that killed you" and ban together to get this lag crap and match making fixed.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    mdm123456789

    It's amazing when the truth is posted on here and no one wants to respond. Truth hurts doesn't it?

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    rlbl

    for the most you are correct.. it never ceases to amaze me that there always seems to be the "next overpowered gun". It  makes no sense.

     

    However... there have been some guns in the COD series that were out of whack and made no sense to be able to do what they could do

     

    (MW2 model 1887 akimbos come to mind)

     

    Anyone can argue the use of the term "overpowered", but sometimes some guns have been outside of the class range of their intent (BO Famas comes to mind: An Assault rifle with high mobility, decent damage of an AR and the ROF of an SMG)

     

    Again.. not saying they are "Overpowered"

     

    Just saying.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    Eye_Gore

    I think the thing is there is always going to be that "go to gun". No matter what, and when alot of people start using it because maybe it kills in a couple less bullets than another, it becomes OP.

     

    I will agree about the 1887 in MW2 that was a bit out of hand. When people start dying alot by the same weapons from different people, people start thinking, "well there must be something wrong with that gun", and complain.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered

    The problem is that some people misuse the term "OP" when talking about something they think is annoying/cheap. What OP means is that something is overall more effective then most of its rivals.

     

    I don't see how you could say that W@W's MP40, MW2's UMP/ACR, BO's FAMAS, and MW3's pre-patch FMG9 akimbo were not more effective then their competeing guns. And when we say they are more effective then their rivals, thats exactly what OP means.

     

    To understand what guns are OP you need to know their stats and see how they outclass other weapons.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      mdm123456789

      Dude, you are gonna have weapons that are more powerful than others. And to say it's "cheap" or "unfair" is cheap, childish and stupid. I know what "OP" means so thanks for that failed attempt of the definition. And to say that in order to understand the meaning of OP I need to check out the stats of the weapons to compare and figure out which ones are OP is wrong. Once again, NO WEAPONS ARE THE SAME. If that was the case, I could take my little .22 cal rifle dear hunting instead of my 30/30 and do the same damage. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

      • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
        kylet345

        mdm123456789 wrote:

         

        Dude, you are gonna have weapons that are more powerful than others. And to say it's "cheap" or "unfair" is cheap, childish and stupid. I know what "OP" means so thanks for that failed attempt of the definition. And to say that in order to understand the meaning of OP I need to check out the stats of the weapons to compare and figure out which ones are OP is wrong. Once again, NO WEAPONS ARE THE SAME. If that was the case, I could take my little .22 cal rifle dear hunting instead of my 30/30 and do the same damage. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

        Oh goody, another butthole to roast. This guy is right in almost every way possible. If you don't know the stats of a weapon, then please explain to me how you'll know when a gun outclasses another?

        • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
          mdm123456789

          I don't need to to put numbers on it. Go all the way down to my last post and read. If you can't agree with that, then you are stupid and all you do is cry about what gun killed you just like the rest of cry baby douche bags that want everyone else to play the way they want them to. I really don't know why I'm even having this conversation sence IW has never steadly tweeked the guns in their game inorder to sooth people like you. You're not gonna get your way. LMFAO

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    illstplaya2live

    It's just that people are stupid and have no skill in the game, so try need to blame something in the game for their bad score. There hasn't been one gun overpowered in any cod. There are just overused weapons, that's all. I don't care if I get killed by fmg9 (which rarely happens anyway) because skill will always beat any gun.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      mdm123456789

      Thank You. Perfect responce

      • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
        Eye_Gore

        Leave skill out of this. I hate it when people say it takes skill, or he has skill. Its a video game, no skill required. A monkey could push buttons, and he could prestige in this game without a single kill. More like who has the better connection over the other guy. I play games where people are shooting me before coming around corners, atleast thats what it looks like to me, but in reality I was already around the corner. I have also been on the other endo of that, shooting a guy and killing him, and he yells out how did he shoot me before I came around the corner.

         

        All guns have differernt attributes, they most likely put them in game so that they weren't the same. If all guns were the same then why have so many, just put one in and have fun. But would that be fun? No of course not, so they put in variety, after all variety is the spice of life.

         

        No matter what is done, people will always say something is OP, even though it may not be. I got killed by it so its OP. Thats what as happened to this game.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered

      Very well said mate

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    GonchiJ

    This thread is boring, and you don't even know what OP means, so I'll briefly explain:

     

    OP stands for overpowered. This means one piece of equipment is better than the other in their same category, or related categories. If a gun is OP, it doesn't mean if has to be nerfedor taken out of the game, its just an easy way to kill and people find it annoying. For example, I encounter someone face to face with my MP5 against their PP90M1 and obviously I get killed instantly; or I encounter someone with a PP90M1 when I'm using a shotgun and he doesn't die in one hit (shotgun range), he turns around and 0.1 seconds later you're about to press Square on your controller. A submachine gun shouldn't kill almost as fast as a shotgun. The PP90M1 with rapid fire is a really overpowered weapon to use, as its close to impossible to lose if you keep your gunfights in CQC. The PP90M1 makes using the UMP45, MP5, P90 and PM9 a bit pointless if  you're going for high scores and such. A P90 with rapid fire and no kick has a lot of recoil, and the PP90M! with rapid fire has controllable recoil (plus its rate of fire is increased to the max).

     

    Another example: Why would you use sniper rifles if the MK14 can shoot just as good and kill in 2 bullets? The MK14 has a base damage of 75. the RSASS and Dragunov both have 70. A assault rifle, that is much easier to use, has less recoil and 'Rapid fire' is one of its attachments.. has more damage than some Sniper Rifles? All of this plus a one bullet kill if its a headshot. I have been killed countless times by hipfired headshots with the MK14. The worst part is, its meant to be a weapon to use in long distances but you can easily kill people in CQC if using quickdraw. Its a weapon no one would want to encounter against an enemy running specialist as you wouldn't stand a chance.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      ots_dj3nvy

      Oh my god! Lol the USP 45 is overpowered! .......... Serious nothing is op in this game, the guns are actually pretty balanced out. The only issue that makes It seem that guns are OP is the lag compensation software they are using that isn't fully tweaked to fit to everyone's connection.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      mdm123456789
      Let's see, I beat the pp90m1 all the time with my USAS. I also beat the mp5 with my FAD. Name some more you think is unbeatable and I'll prove you wrong and I'm sure lots of others will call bullsh*t as well.I like how you say my thread is boring, but yet you post this big a$$ responce with all these numbers for the weapons, which is a bit pathetic if you ask me, and your accomplishment was proving the fact that the forums and the game is filled with people who think THEY know how the game should be and do nothing but cry about it. And the need for you to post the meaning of "OP" is beyond me. Clearly we all know what it stands for.
    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      kylet345

      Let me point out some things that are wrong here:

      GonchiJ wrote:

       

      The PP90M1 makes using the UMP45, MP5, P90 and PM9 a bit pointless if  you're going for high scores and such. A P90 with rapid fire and no kick has a lot of recoil, and the PP90M! with rapid fire has controllable recoil (plus its rate of fire is increased to the max).

      Every SMG has a role (with a somewhat exception of the MP5). The UMP.45 has the longest effective range, the P90 has the biggest magazine and reserve ammo size, and the PM-9 has the highest rate of fire. The P90 with Rapid Fire may have more viewkick, but the PP90M1 has more gunkick (not the actual recoil, just the gun model moving while firing, but can be removed with the thermal scope. *NOTE* It's not the same thing as visual recoil). The P90 overall has less recoil than the PP90M1 though.

      GonchiJ wrote:

       

      Another example: Why would you use sniper rifles if the MK14 can shoot just as good and kill in 2 bullets? The MK14 has a base damage of 75. the RSASS and Dragunov both have 70. A assault rifle, that is much easier to use, has less recoil and 'Rapid fire' is one of its attachments.. has more damage than some Sniper Rifles? All of this plus a one bullet kill if its a headshot. I have been killed countless times by hipfired headshots with the MK14. The worst part is, its meant to be a weapon to use in long distances but you can easily kill people in CQC if using quickdraw. Its a weapon no one would want to encounter against an enemy running specialist as you wouldn't stand a chance.

      I can get at what you're saying here. The MK14 is a high damage long range weapon, and can get a two hit kill up to 49 meters (max. range is 50 meters). However, the MK14 has damage drop, and a slower rate of fire (even with rapid fire on). It can also be a victim of 'capping'. This is where the trigger locks up when firing too fast on a semi-automatic. The RSASS and Dragunov have no damage drop, substantially lower recoil when prone, and the highest fire cap in the game. All three also have similar reload times

       

      The point I'm getting at here is that there are obviously weapons that will outclass other weapons in certain situations. The PP90M1 will obviously outclass the UMP.45 at close range, but at mid range, where the PP90M1 will be a 6 shot kill and the UMP.45 a 3 or 4 shot kill, the UMP.45 will always win. Same for the PP90 vs the PM-9. The PM-9 will ,without a doubt, absolutely wreck the PP90 in close range, especially with rapid fire and the recent buff effects. The P90 will beat the PP90 in mid range fights due to lower recoil and better damage at range. The Dragunov will beat the MK14 at longer ranges due to higher damage. Same for the RSASS. Let me just comment about you're PP90 vs Shotgun argument for second. You should never compare two different types of weaponry.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    creaper21

    mdm123456789 wrote:

     

    Out of ALL the people in the CoD comunity, why is it that most cry about a weapon being OP?

    Because we want balance. Is that a bad thing?

     

     

    mdm123456789 wrote:

     

    I mean, can't we have SOME realism within this game? All weapons do not and are not supposed to do the same damage and have the same ROF as the others.

    No, realism doesn't matter when it comes to balancing a game. For a game developer, balance should come first and only then do you think about realism(if at all).

    And weapons DO NOT have to have the same rate of fire/damage/range or anything else to be balanced. High rate of fire and low recoil should mean less damage. Another gun with high damage should have  medium-high recoil and medium-fast rate of fire. Not the same. But balanced. Not too hard to understand.

     

     

    mdm123456789 wrote:

     

    I call bullsh*t and if these people who think they are so good at this game are infact as good as they say, then they will stop crying and beat their enemy by adapting and/or using their "skill" they claim to have. BF3 was a good game until weapons started to get nerfed beyond uselessness, thanks to these people I speak of. 

    No. Nerfing/buffing weapons is a good thing. Did you wanted Frag round Shotguns to stay like they used to be in BF3? Please, if you say yes, you should not be talking about balance at all. Weapons aren't nerfed to be useless. They're nerfed to be balanced along with all of the other weapons.

     

     

    mdm123456789 wrote:

     

    So we need to stop complaining about "the gun that killed you" and ban together to get this lag crap and match making fixed.

    The lag will NOT be fixed. So I'd rather them fix something that will actually effect our experience.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    monkeylord

    Yeah I think there should always be the guns that are really strong and easy to get to grips with for when you first start and then have a sliding scale where they get steadly worse so as you improve at the game you can keep the challange high and game fresh just by switching up your guns.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    vileself

    I agree with the point you're making but the thread title is untrue. The fact is there are overpowered weapons and they make the game unbalanced. Since there is a ranking system in the game and there are worldwide leaderboards that are "supposed" to showcase who is the best in the world then there must be a fair and balanced environment to play in. If many of the guns are weaker than other guns then they become pointless to use because your chances of performing well and winning are cut down drastically. If only half of the guns in the game are worth using then whats the point of the other half? Thats why strong weapons are asked to be nerfed and weak weapons are asked to be buffed. It keeps everything on a level playing field. All weapons should be better in certain ways and for the most part each one is, but there are certain weapons that are better in more ways and those weapons just make the game too easy and inevetably unfair for everyone. Sure good players can use the crappy guns and still do well, but its when the good players use the awesome guns and completely dominate the match thats what makes the guns overpowered. No one should be able to run around and dominate everyone just because they have an ACR or MP7, its merely unfair to people who wish to choose a different gun.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    vims1990

    So a secondary weapon that does 40 damage, a fire rate over 1000 RPM & equipped with Akimbo & Steady Aim which increases it's accuracy is balanced?    

     

    By now, you should know I'm speaking about the Akimbo FMG 9's.

     

    I'm curious.

     

    How many kills do you have using say the pre-buff PM-9 or the MP5 compared to say the MP7?

    How many kills you had with the pre-buff M16 or AK-47 compared to the ACR/Type 95?

    Lastly how many kills you have with the pre-nerf Striker compared to the AA-12?

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      ae_gs

      There are several overpowered guns.  I have every gun gold, so I know how every gun works.  I have a 2+ kdr with every primary except the model at a 1.9 with 70%+ of kills before the shotgun patch and the riot shield with a negative kdr, only used it for challenges.  Anyone who says there are no overpowered guns has not used the worst guns in the game enough.  I have a lot of good games with terrible guns, but some games they are just terrible and it is like they shoot out spitballs.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      mdm123456789

      Go look. User name is mdm1234567890. I've used the mp7 and acr. I've also moved on to bigger and better things such as the mk14, g36, ak and usas. I've tried to explain to people that all guns can't be the same but it falls on def ears. How many kills do YOU have with them guns you hate so much?

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered

    Alright I have explained this befoe. Weapons are not usually overpowered except the dual models of christmas time and the MP40 of waw; however weapons in this game are VERY POORLY balanced! Here are some facts you can't fight on the Mp7

     

    - Large magazine size of 40 compared to other SMG's with 30, except the p90 with 50.

    - Best iron sights in my oppinion out of every gun in the game.

    - I believe lowest recoil in the entire game out of automatic weapons.

    - 3 bullets to kill same as all the other automatic weapons.

    - High rate of fire of around 900

    - Long range of fire thanks to no recoil

     

    So while you may not think that weapons are OP you're right; nevertheless, if anyone says weapons are balanced in this game they are dead wrong. Sure they have 60 some odd weapons, but only 10 of those are logical to take. One can not argue that fact either so.... Sure someone may like a certain gun, but I am speaking logically 80% of the guns are pointless to take.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    Bettis123

    Nothing is over powered, everything is over balanced. This game is connection based, so you could run around with a ksg and moab while half a lobby is using acr's or p90's while shooting you.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered

    I think this game is lacking a real dose of realism. In real life, if you spammed the barret 50 cal like I see people do, you break your neck. That being said, this is an arcade shooter, and doesn't need every gun to be "real" or "balanced" I prefer the m16 over the type95, I have a 3.2 kd using the m16 even before the patch. My most used and highest KD SMG is the UMP, and my best Sniper rifle is the RSASS. Yet I still have good stats and enjoy myself. It is all down to personal preference in this game. Every gun is not supposed to be a laser like the ACR or have the damage of the MK14. The reason people complain about guns being "underpowered" is because they got outskilled by a better player. If I am playing against a 5 year old who has no idea what he is doing, I would win every gunfight no matter what gun I am using. If you're a better player, you will eventually get a killstreak. especially in mw3, where the spawns are so situational, you can't say that a gun the fault of your death. If someone spawns behind you, it doesn't matter what gun you're using, you're gonna die.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    WolfRidge

    I shot a guy on Oasis from the opposite side of the map with an MP7!

     

    I'm not complaining as I love the MP7 but the ranges of some of the guns are way off what is really possible.  Overpowered maybe not, but fairly unrealistic.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      phxs72

      The MP7 probably shouldn't have that kind of range because it's an SMG but if you took it away then you would have to increase the hipfire accuracy.  Then it would basically be a clone of the other SMG's.  It's great range but low hipfire accuracy is what makes it unique amongst the SMG's.  If every gun in a category was just a clone of the gun before it, that would get rather dull.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
    zvers

    I agree. It's ALL about tactics. You can see this through out history from sun tzu to the 300 Greeks at Thermopylae to the German Blitzkrieg in 1940. Outnumbered and outgunned yet they won? Kiddies just need something to cry about and this topic is in the top five scapegoat list for sure.

  • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered

    Connection/Lag issues fixed? Likely never going to happen. It's nearly impossible anyway.

    Weapon/Perk balance issues fixed? Could happen if IW tries to. I'd rather fix the possible (weapon/perk) than the impossible. (Connection)

    And yes, weapons are fairly imbalanced ("OP"). I'm surprised some people don't see that.

    • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
      mdm123456789

      Although this is a game with very little realisim, fact is, the bullsh!t level of this game would sky rocket if all the weapons were the same. You can say there's a difference in making them balanced and them all being the same all you want. I call bullsh!t. If you weaken gun A to compensate the lack of on gun B. you are making them the same weapon, just different looks. Same goes for any other buff or nurf of any other gun. People say that gun A is overpowered because that's all they see and that people should use gun B. All that is doing is forcing others to play the game to YOUR liking. It's not right. If people all of a sudden started using the CM901, and I mean the same people who like to use the mp7 or acr, you guys would flood this forum about how the CM901 needs to be balanced. That is why I say that there are NO overpowered weapons, just a bunch of cry baby noobs that think they are better then what they really are.

      • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
        rlbl

        I assume you are talking this game only... as there have been clearly "overpowered" guns in the past.

         

        (and again, I never played with the T95 pre-nerf so I cannot say about that)

      • Re: Weapons have never been Overpowered
        phxs72

        In MW3 I'd have to agree that there are not any OP weapons.  There are weapons that will own in certain situations but each one of those weapons are owned by other weapons in other situations.  Previous titles did have some weapons that were hands down better than anything else but MW3 did a great job in balancing it.  Even the vaunted Type-95 pre-nerf wasn't OP.  It was a one shot kill but it also is a burst weapon.  So from across the map it would be pretty hard to beat but in CQC with an SMG, the SMG would win unless you're quick enough to land that first shot with the Type 95.  Post nerf the Type 95 guy most of the time is going to need 2 shots to get a kill at close range.  People spend too much time complaining and not enough time improving their game.