37 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 7:09 AM by theomegawerty RSS

Maybe this is the reason for so called campers

Ok say I am new to the game, and at first nobody really gets mad the first time they play the game cause they have no clue what is going on anyways, so they use the run and gun playstyle and are having fun doing it, even though they go 1 and 16. Well then they get in the lobby and take all sorts of grief, and since nobody stops to think about how they talk to people on the game anymore. They get bitched at even though it was their first time playing, and you are ******** about how bad they are.

So second game ever the person says well I am just gonna hunker down in a spot and see if I can do better, and low and behold they go 5-12. So then that new person says man I just did a lot better, and now since I didnt die as much or do as bad, my team isnt ******** about how bad I did, maybe I can just play that way.

You people being so mean to the guy playing for the first time, and since you just assume everybody has played the game over and over, and it was this guys first time, and hell he tried to run and gun but you gave him hell, and so the next game he did better by camping. Who's fault is it really that we have a camper now.

Is it the first time players fault or the people who didnt stop and think, and bitched at the guy not even caring it was his first time playing.

• Re: Maybe this is the reason for so called campers
    xblbw

The game is a pretty harsh place for new players, no doubt.

I am still suprised that the game does not include more tutorial/instructional material that helps people understand how the multiplayer works.

It wasn't till I searched stuff out on the internet that I started to understand the game better.

One of the reasons I can't get into BF3 is that I can't be bothered going through another education process to understand the intricacies of that game.

If they truely wanted to make the game more accessible to new players I think they would give them some resources to understand it better.

Edit: And maybe give players that have played less than 100 matches (or some other number) an L-plate emblem. And if you abuse such a player you are a zero.

I agree with you. Not enough help. I started playing cause my son had xbox and didnt live with me, and then he came to live with me, and I had only played playstation 2 up to then. At first I didnt give a **** what people thought, and still dont, but some people do.

I myself had a blast, and didnt care how much I died, but as time grew I started caring and realized I really never got better running and gunning, but when I slowed down I did better. I dont camp so much. I play primarily HCSND and on some maps I take off running straight for the enemy, and on others I dont.

What really gets me is the running and gunning on HCSND even though we are defending and within 30 sec. I am the last person left on my team while we are defending. I dont ***** but I damn sure dont take no grief in the lobby either when they start saying I play to slow either.

I highly doubt this 'new player' is going to care about his team ******** about him not doing well.. He's just going to carry on playing not giving a ****.

nicedrewishfela

The community is the biggest issue with this game, and thats saying something. The focus is on stats and ePeen, so there is a lot of insanity and anger out there over people who play for fun.

Example, had a few minutes free today before I had to et ready for work. Nobody was on from my friends list, so jumped in a HCTDM match. Apparently I replaced the sixth member of a six man team on Liberation. Each and every one of them was laying prone in one corner or another. I literally spawned behind a teammate laying prone under one of the bridges. They weren't sure where the enemy was, so I crept up towards the middle and was shot by a enemy camped out behind a wall. I spawned in the same spot, and was immediately shot. Spawned AGAIN in the same spot, and was spawn killed again after taking a few steps to try to get around my prone teammate.

Immediately I began getting berated by my "teammates" Who kept began yelling at me for "running over to the other side". I explained that I had just spawned into the match and was spawn killed because they were all just laying down around the map. But they kept it up, constantly telling me I should just quit. It honestly made me want to stay in there and go 1-20 just to tick them off.

I just don't understand the excitement in camping. I find it tremendously boring on the maps that force me to play that style. The game seems to reward camping above all other game types, so its like you said, people are encouraged to do it. There are no easy answers, unfortunately. People are going to play the way they want to and stats will continue to be valued over fun. I just do my best to treat others with the same respect I would ask for. Unfortunately, I have little faith that most of the community would do the same.

yeah that would have been really frustrating. I dont mind anybody doing anything or playing any certain way. I personally dont get paid to play the game. If I did, I possibly might give a crap then about it, but I wouldnt count on it. I realize there are times to play all types of styles. I primarily play HCSND, and noticed that HCTDm while playing the elite playlist where you have to play the four different game modes 1 being HCTM that people dont tend to move much on that mode. I move but I crouch walk everywhere. Just cause I dont use dead silence, and even if I did it has a counter now.

danielbondnz

You said in my thread that you have bad aim, and thats why you camp....

What is your look sensitivity set to ??

Well if that is how it came out then what I meant is. I dont run and gun cause I have bad aim. I use sensitivty of 6, but I did use 4 but when in CQC situations it felt like say I ran past a dude and we both had to turn, he turned a lot faster on me.

I dont camp per say. I play HCSND, and when I am defending that is what I do. I defend the Bomb, but any other game modes. I play the objective, but I just do it at a crouchwalk type of pace.

I am not sure if the sensitivity is whack or just me, cause there are days I get on and I get right on people and have no problem, and others where it just seems like I cant get on them with out swinging back and forth.

Really typing made me think that when I use my MK14 my aim is dead on. But when I pull out the p90 I tend to be all over, even at close range.

I am 37 so I am not like the person who thinks about what guns go best with certain perks, I just dont get that much into that part of it. I probably should as much as I play. I am competitive as crap but not to the point where I really get mad. Usually, when I get mad it is cause of something I cant control like lag.

danielbondnz

Ok, let me address your aiming problem,

I would consider myself above average player, I have a MW3 Kd OF 2.14 Overall, and 2.24 in TDM and 2.23 in FFA, and would probaly be near 2 on Domination.

I play on 2 sensitivity as my aim also aint flash, I cant turn on people all that good, but I usually never need to, and the times you need accuracy in front of you rather than a quick turn on some one is about 10 to 1.

You dont need high sensitivity to be good, I play mainly FFA, and I win about 7 or 8 out of ten, and am succesful at most game modes, and I use 2 sensitivity and tactical button layout so I can drop shot the crap outa people, not suggesting you play on tactical, but id suggest if your aim is bad go down to 3 sensitivity, and YOU WILL GET BETTER.

Stop camping, and get out there and improve.

I will try lowering my sensitivity. I have always wanted to use tactical, but for some reason I always seem to hit the tactical laydown stick when I fire. Same reason I have a hard time with a sniper rifle with zoom. I zoom everytime I shoot. Just need to use it more.

For the last time though I dont camp. I crouch walk around the map. the only time I sit in place is when it is needed.

danielbondnz

openrangeonualls wrote:

I will try lowering my sensitivity. I have always wanted to use tactical, but for some reason I always seem to hit the tactical laydown stick when I fire. Same reason I have a hard time with a sniper rifle with zoom. I zoom everytime I shoot. Just need to use it more.

For the last time though I dont camp. I crouch walk around the map. the only time I sit in place is when it is needed.

Drop it down to 3, and stop crouch walking everywhere.get killed, and by doing so get better. Its the only way.

Just run into battle,

now if only they would map the crouch and fire buttons together!!!! hahahaha

There is a large player base who have essentially been playin the same game (COD4-MW3) for a few years now so it's of course second nature to them. But many seem blind to how hard it is for a new player.

I started out playing COD when BO came out (I also played MW2 during BOs lifespan, it was a free gift) and I got very experienced in a reasonably short time due to one extremely valuable feature Treyarc made available in that game.. the ability to view other players previous recorded games via Combat Record! Every time I played a match I would leave the lobby and view any gamer that played consistently well to observe tricks, tactics, movement and decision making. I watched people with the highest weekly/monthly SPM via the leaderboards as well. I was regularly watching more games a night than I was playing. Watching and learning from others this way helped me improve immensely in a short time as a result. It's a damn shame MW3 is missing this feature, but Im hoping Treyarc will bring it back in BO2.

danielbondnz

Datura wrote:

There is a large player base who have essentially been playin the same game (COD4-MW3) for a few years now so it's of course second nature to them. But many seem blind to how hard it is for a new player.

I started out playing COD when BO came out (I also played MW2 during BOs lifespan, it was a free gift) and I got very experienced in a reasonably short time due to one extremely valuable feature Treyarc made available in that game.. the ability to view other players previous recorded games via Combat Record! Every time I played a match I would leave the lobby and view any gamer that played consistently well to observe tricks, tactics, movement and decision making. I watched people with the highest weekly/monthly SPM via the leaderboards as well. I was regularly watching more games a night than I was playing. Watching and learning from others this way helped me improve immensely in a short time as a result. It's a damn shame MW3 is missing this feature, but Im hoping Treyarc will bring it back in BO2.

Same bro, I used to watch all my friends games daily, and id watch the worlds best FFA players aswell, it was great.

danielbondnz wrote:

Datura wrote:

Same bro, I used to watch all my friends games daily, and id watch the worlds best FFA players aswell, it was great.

Wasnt it dissapointing when you caught what was by all means a very good player boosting/spawn trapping (like the BAD kind of spawn trapping) in one of the list of previous games with a very good score with his clan? It made me aware of how much cheating and sly moves go on at the top of the leaderboards and/or by people with excellent stats (a good lesson in itself!). But many were also legitemately awesome.

Also the top FFA guys, if you noticed, ALWAYS pulled host. You could tell because, true to standard COD rules, the match recording would show them as first in the match with consequent players connecting to him. Thats when I learned the golden Pre-MW3 COD rule...skill + host = awesomeness and prompted me to get better nets, router etc Regretted it with MW3 though lol! Basterds.

While your point is valid in that scenario, I'd say the real reason most people camp is because of killstreaks/pointstreaks whatever you want to kill them.

A player watches their favourite youtuber post their matches of them popping out say; Attack Helicopter, Reaper and then an AC-130.

The player watching gets amazed by the amount of kills said player got with his killstreaks, so he decides to attempt to get them.

After attempts of running around aimlessly and failing at getting anywhere close to his desired amount of kills in a row, he decides that sitting in an obscure corner waiting for someone is a simple method to earn a kill.

This becomes a mindset of a player who wants to get killstreaks.

I disagree....That is not how i became a camper. Well im actually a "soft"-core camper.

The reason i started to camp is because i started to memorize and know where and when the enemy team will spawn basically on every map. So i started to camp and know if they were going to come from behind or not.

supervelous

I give grief to campers only to try and make them move around so I can kill them.  I'm not mean/insulting, I just tell them to stop camping.  Psychological warfare if you will

Campers trail only players much better than me as the type of player that give me the most trouble, I rush a lot, and the recklessness of sprinting all over the place gets me killed by campers alot.  I have no problem with them playing that way, I believe you should play the way you want, it's your game, your money you spent. 

Many of the same players ******** about campers were campers themselves at one point.  I started MW3 as a camper, and gradually transformed into someone who runs around alot, as I got better gunskill and map knowledge.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I camp based on opportunity. I tend to rush my enemies' spawn running and gunning on my way there. When I get there, I know they will be all around me so I play cautiously and be defensive. I know my enemies can see the "skulls" of my victims and I know that will attract more enemies so I'll switch my tactic into a more cautious gameplay. This tactic has worked wonders for me and has turned the tide on so many TDM games I played. Most of the time, this will create confusion as some of my enemies will try to hunt me down and at the same time, they're trying to hold their line against my advancing team mates.

I also camp when I know I'm in a great defensible position and my enemies got obsessed trying to get their revenge kill on me. I play trickery and deception against my enemies and I do exploit their tendencies for revenge.

Bettis123

Try playing this game for 23 or more prestiges and not get mad at half the crap this game messes up on, like spawns, and the horrile rewind time of lag compensation created during many games against clans.

mustangs289hp

I have to say I agree. I don't get why you want to complain about someone dieing a lot. This is a game and sure losing repeatedly can get annoying from time to time but that is no reason to yell at someone. I hardly wear my mic just do to the fact that I use the game as a stress/anger release and I yell at the TV. I had a job where I had to interact with people and couldn't really get mad if they gave me a azz chewing. This game is where I can yell at a TV and feel better lol. I yell when I'm winning and losing. I had a guy tell me I sucked today when we had the same number of kills and he had 3 times as many death as me but he used the recon probe and got his score higher then mine. I mean really if your stats are that important to you then just care about yourself and let the other people have fun. As for campers...a well thrown semtex will normally clear them out. The only thing that Battlefield has over MW is their spawns. Having set spawns in this game allows teams of people who are..I would say really good but in this case who can just get an upper hand somewho and know the spawn points can camp the spawns and that henders the other team. But really nobody can complain about camping cause look at the map Hardhat...Almost everybody heads for the middle and fights to hold it. People need to realize this is just a game. Something happening to you in the game isn't going to affect your real life but the words you say to someone and talk down to them, it could. If you are really to make a person feel like **** over a game then you should probably stop playing and grow up a little before grabbing the controls again.

New Players should go and play Free For All...

Black Ops was my first FPS MP, and I found the people in FFA were much more friendly and less judgemental then the people in TDMs, Search, etcetera...

I found the FFA community very helpful and they answered my questions, even offered me advice...

I would go further than that. I still have friends now that I met in FFAs when I first started...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if new players and etcetera, could go and play without stats if they wanted for a probationary period...

Open to anyone, but NO STATS. It'd be less competitive, more friendly and helpful...

Vets could drop in there and play along with the n00bs to share their knowledge...

mustangs289hp

Yeah FFA is a lot easier enviroment due to the fact that your game play doesn't affect others score. I use to be afraid to play FFA when I started playing MW2 cause I figured it would be for the more elite players but it really is just a way to have fun and play around. I normally just do TDM cause it was the first match type I was introduced to. People forget that we were all once noobs at one point in time. New players should explore all the different game plays and figure out which one they like best and have most fun on.

nuttin2say

Good ideas regarding FFA.

You know, J, you bring up something that's a very good point. In WaW, Treyarch had it so that when you first put the disc in the console, you went into a sort of noob playlist. You would stay in that playlist until you got to level 19 - or you chose to go into the veteran lobbies.

I really think they should bring that back to the game. It gave everyone a reasonable chance to get a feel for the game. And it locked out anyone over level 19.

That's a reasonable way of separating "skilled" players from "un"-skilled players. Anything beyond that I think is too much, but that was a smart move and I wish they would bring it back in the future.

mustangs289hp

they would have to make it where people could still play with their friends though.

Yeah, like a playing field to cut your teeth on...

I like that idea...

Yeah Treyarc had a bootcamp in WaW, but I think they improved on the idea with the whole bot match thing. I also played heavily in FFA with bots in BO which was very handy to get a grip on spawns, map movement and rapid aiming/acquiring targets, all areas that noobs struggle with for a while if they're playing MW3. It really worked in giving you a feel for where the action was and getting "jumped" by multiple enemies just like real multiplayer. Noobs will naturally want to camp if theyre getting pounded online because what is going on around them makes no sense - camping lets them process the action. Eventually as you become a better, knowledgable player you will camp less, it is the natural order of skill progression in FPS gaming.

Treyarc confirmed bots will return and the AI will be vastly improved. And I really hope combat record will return and will again allow views on any players previous 100 odd games. It's much better to watch that for learning purposes than any..ANY cherry picked gameplay from youtubers (which should be strictly considered as entertainment only).

Combat Training helped me no end...

I loved being able to practice things on bots like class set ups and things like "How to use an AC130" for example...

nuttin2say

Other than zombies with my wife, I haven't played BO in a while. I can't believe I didn't think about Combat Training as a tool. I played it just for fun, though, not as a training tool.

But you guys are right - it is a great training tool. Glad to know it will come back.

Fire up BO, go to the leaderboards, highlight any high ranking player, from there you can go to his combat record and you can choose dozens of their previous matches. It also shows their score for the match so you can see if they're consistently good. I used to watch games they didn't do well in, to see why someone so invincible got outplayed as well.

The key part is the theatre recordings in BO let you properly view any player, in the recorded match of your choice, in first person view..unlike the poor effort in MW3 theatre recordings where it's locked to third person only   This is why it is so handy. everyones games are recorded, you can't switch it off.

Knowing this actually made me play harder as I got better because it was in the back of my mind that someone may decide to watch my performance for that particular game, so I tried to put on a good show ie no camping lol, it was a positive anti-camping side effect. You would get a random message about 30 min later from someone you played in FFA saying "GG wel played" etc and you knew its because they went to view you.

mudd1280

Im sorry but there is a private match you can go and look at the maps at in and there is a survival mode for those that are starting out in any CoD game i think they sarted it back in BO's so dont give anyone **** for thinking people already know how to play the game and if it is your first time maybe you should go and learn something before you do it thats why we have to have schooling to do the chool jobs so no idiot gets in a job and ends up killing people