26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 6:57 PM by T-boss RSS

LMG's

LMGs need to be more powerful and useful for sustaining fire power. In black ops, they were slower than assault rifles, had higher recoil, and slower fire rates. Their magazine sizes were 30, 40, 100, and 30, which is like an assault rifle except the M60.

What can be done to improve the LMG, to make it a team-supporting gun or a gun that can compete with the others?

For starters, I say make the wall penetration much better so you can take down enemies behind cover.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to be able to use a LMG in Black ops 2. Post your ideas down below.

• Re: LMG's
    vileself

I think LMGs should have the opposite affect than other guns. They should be weak up close but strong at range. 3-4 bullets for an upclose kill. 2-3 for a range kill.

There are much better ways than that.

Increase the mobility and decrease the recoil. Done.

vileself

No. The LMGs are meant to be slow maneuverability and high recoil in exchange for high damage and large ammo clips. The problem is that the damage isn't high enough and because the recoil is so high it makes it difficult to beat ARs.

With higher damage they'd be able to compete with ARs at longer ranges where they are supposed to excell. They would have higher recoil than the ARs but also higher damage to balance it out.

I think the LMGs have been relatively fine in all of the CoDs but they get trumped too often by ARs. The only advantage cant be the extra ammo because you sacrifice a suicidal reload time in order to get the next mag going. LMGs need to have an extra boost in order to make them competition worthy. If you gave them high damage at all ranges then they'd be overpowered at close range, but if they were average at close range but powerful at long range then they would fit into their niche nicely. Like I said, they wouldnt be overpowered at long range because their high recoil would have to be compensated for.

vims1990

COD developers should revisit the LMG's from MW2.

I can't give you the specifics on why they were better to me but they certainly had power compared to the other COD titles.

T-boss

i personly think they should be the strongs maching guns in teh game, countered by well the current problems except fire rate. should only be toped by SMG's at shotgun range.

LMG as good but specilized and with plenty of problems. make AR teh weakest fullauto guns in the game but balanced by being allpurpose.

ghamorra

I think MW3 did a good job with them. The only downside to LMGs is if you died you were screwed, out in the open with a big ass gun. It's not a gun of choice for the mobile person so as long as there are good places to sit they were excellent.

QwertyBoredom

how to make LMGs better, simple give us a bi-pod make them 3 hit kills at all ranges and keep all the current Cons that they have.

JGreen150

giving a bipod attachment would make it very hard to not give the LMGs a campy reputation. but i think a 2 shot at any range, high recoil and low mobility will make it powerful for those who know how to use it and not all around for any dumbass who can pick up a weapon (MP7, UMP, ACR.. etc.)

QwertyBoredom

You know that LMGs are ment to be a campers weapon right ? almost everything about them makes camping the optimal playstyle from the low mobility to the simple fact they have far less recoil when used prone, bi-pods simply optimize there tactical role W@W actually did this with LMGs so we already know that LMGs with Bi-pods are perfectly balanced and work well gameplay wise.

banned-again

if past cod games are anything to go by they will be a waste of time in blops2 they were great up until black ops

Pyric

The high recoil on LMG's is actually unrealistic, they would have less barrel rise than any other guns because the weight of the barrel and everything counter the kick of the bullets. So that needs to be fixed and they should also have more damage. That's basically the steriotypical LMG, a big powerful machine gun to pound bullet after bullet into your enemies.

the rpk was the only LMG i ever used in COD that had bad recoil. I don't see anything really wron with the LMGS maybe being able to use the bipod considering half the LMGs i seen already had one you just couldn't use it. INcreased bullet penetration would be a great idea considering i already do that with a hardened perk as my "anti-camp" loadout to shoot them right through the wall

robbierocket

It's not so much the "LMG treatment" as the "COD treatment" and "map treatment". On a couple of positions in Black Ops (eg. ARRAY, on the Caterpillar right side, tucked in) an M60 is awesome and used by someone who knows how to use it, with the correct support and set-up, will be a huge start to a TDM win and all streaks).

The problems are:

- COD doesn't support support fire, exclusively

- COD doesn't give multiple benefits for hits or cover fire, unless it's an assist

- I could only mention 1 or 2 spots on Black Ops for them

- in MW3 they were toilet (map-related to a degree again)

kylet345

MG's give up speedy handling (movement speed, aim time, reload speed, etc.) for power (no damage drop at range, penetration similar to Sniper Rifles, and large magazines). There are very few MG's that bend these rules (e.g. the B.A.R.). Very few MG's kill in four or more shots (these include the MG42, the FG42, the Type 99 at longer ranges, the MG4 and the M240).

Sas-quatch84

I used the m60 to give cover fire for my team and always picked up alot of assits. The only other lmg i found worth using was the stoner63. Used with lightweight, SOH, and hacker with a red dot and extended mags. It had good range and wasnt to bad to move around with using lighweight. If i used it in any other class i would run with my pistol and swith to it when i got caught in a gunfight. They need more penetration power for sure, even with the use of hardened. And they need more than just 4 to choose from. The rpk and hk21 i found to be weak at times . The m60 was just to big to run with even using lightweight so i only used it for cover fire playing dom

M60, Big ammo, Lighweight, Steady Aim, Marathon, Nuketown, fun times.

most lmg's are too big to run with, they are meant to be support weapons not run and gun weapons, why do you think the germans invented the assault rifle

I pulled some great games in BO with the M60. And in MW2/3 they are pretty good. Issue is they are slow your meant to hold down a location with them, but most people try to run n gun or move to much with fear of being called a camper.

But a nerf in the reduced recoil department would be nice, there ironsights bounce way to much for having to hit as many times at distance as an AR.