16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 3:59 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Final thoughts on GamesCom and Negativity

nicedrewishfela

I know we have one more day of Gamescom footage to come, but I think we've seen pretty much everything they are going to show us at this point. I have to say I was pleased to finally get some real information about the MP aspect of Black Ops II and see the game in action. I think it was quite obvious that the feature they chose to spotlight this year was the CodCasting and League Play elements as well as their focus on ESports. While not particularly interested in eSports myself, I found the new additions to be well thought out and interesting. I doubt I will be using them much myself, but another example of Treyarch thinking outside the box and doing what they can to innovate and be leaders in the FPS realm.

I think what excites me the most is that we have already seen drastic changes in the CoD formula for this game, but without losing that CoD feel that makes us such big fans. The game still plays at 60 FPS which makes a huge difference when put up against the competition. The human eye sees at 60 FPS, so you get a smooth experience. Try playing another FPS and then jump immediately over to CoD. You will be blown away by how much faster and smoother CoD feels. I can see significant changes in the lighting effects, the few maps they have shown us look brighter and more colorful. We've seen a ton of new innovations already, but what I love is that I am sure there are plenty of things we didn't get to see yet, which means we will be in for some good surprises upon release.

One thing that concerns me is the negativity I've seen on this forum in particular. We as a community have been begging for change for years, and when a developer offers it to us, there are outcries of wanting it to stay the same as it has always been. One of my favorite things about CoD being released every year is the new features, new weapons, and new game mechanics. I enjoy the challenge of the learning curve, figuring out what my niche is in the game, figuring out how I need to play each map. I tend to alternate between strategies, going from run and gunning to careful, tactical play, to even having a more patient, "campy" style depending on the map design and the needs of my team. I enjoy using different setups, experimenting with new things, and chasing down challenges.

First of all, to all players, nobody is trying to take away your style of play. In fact, I am of the opinion that they've given us more tools than ever to be able to craft classes that meet our needs, whatever they may be. It looks like this game won't be spoon-feeding us, we're going to have to make tough decisions frequently to decide what we want to unlock for our classes and what items we may need to live without. There isn't a player in the game who will be able to have everything unlocked all at once, adding to the diversity we'll see in classes. Will you have to adjust? Definitely. Thats part of anything you do. Adapt or be left behind. But video games, in addition to being fun, are meant to challenge us. They're meant to promote competition and provide an experience for all different kinds of gamers. You will still be able to play the game how you want to, and all types of players will be able to have success, you just may have to think a bit more outside the box and experiment more than you've had to in the past. Change is good. Change is exciting.

Remember, this game is still in Alpha. We haven't seen all that it has to offer, and they are not likely to give us all the information we crave before its time. CoD became a lot more fun for me when I learned to let go and just enjoy myself. I am competitive and still rage from time to time, but in the end its all for fun.  Keep discussing the various facets of the game, keep speculating on aspects we aren't clear about yet, but stay away from vast, sweeping statements like "This game is going to suck because" or "This <insert overused term for an aspect of the game> is going to ruin the game because". It always astounds me that people are so determined to make this a miserable experience for other people, when its intended for all players to have fun, even if they happen to enjoy playing different modes, employ different tactics, or prefer different weapons than you do.

Constructive, not negative. Don't ruin the experience for others. Thanks for reading all, and happy gaming!

• Re: Final thoughts on GamesCom and Negativity
    jshearhart

Good word. Here's to another great year of chaotic shouting in my living room!

LuckyScars1

Well said.  People need to understand that at the end of the day, you can't have everything you want, whether it's CoD or anything else in life.  Recognize that the developers have put in a great effort to keep this franchise in front!

Beggars can't be choosers, and in the end, they'll play this game anyway

otisman666

LuckyScars1 wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers, and in the end, they'll play this game anyway

Meh....not so fast there Lukcy.  I for one will be holding off until they either have a serioius discussion about the connection issues that plagued BO and MW3 or until the first few weeks have passed and the community has positive feedback on this topic.

I've never played Gaylo before, but I would be more willing to shell out $$ for that game if 3arch doesn't give us a warm and fuzzy about connection/lag/lag comp/sync (or whatever you want to call it).

Edit:  Sorry, I do agree with the OP regarding the new features that 3arch is bringing into this game.  I love the idea that they are constantly trying to think outside the box and refresh the feel of the game.

ill-lll

The true "MP Reveal" is what will be important. It was great to see a lot of the new features of BO2 via the Gamescon Stream. The focus on livestreaming and shoutcasting was a bit much, though. I'm reminded of the hype surrounding the release of BO1 and all of the talk about Wagers Matches and the new currency system. When the MP reveal came out, they showed a great detail of the game but interrupted the process multiple times to stop and talk all about how great it will be to gamble with the currency you've earned in the Wager Matches.

Wager Matches turned out to be fun for many. They were unique, and fun. However, the currency system was not all it was cracked up to be and the idea of gambling and earning XP through the bets never truly came to fruition. A few people would sit in High Roller matches all day, doing well for themselves, but the majority of players only participated in them a few times and went back to the staple MP.

I'm worried they will repeat the same process in the MP reveal, stopping to remind you about livestreaming and shoutcasting, how revolutionary it is, and over-marketing it when it is really going to appeal to only a fraction of CoD players (competitive gamers & YouTubers). To the large majority, it's really nothing more than:

"Wow, that's cool. How much time was spent developing all that, which I won't personally use, and did it take away from time spent that could have focused on something more important like lag, balance, or weapon variety?"

Their choice to develop all of this could be hit or miss, and it depends on how the other issues of the game are addressed. The overhype of all of these new features could come back to bite them, hard, if the game is still laggy or other major issues are present at release. They are risking that with the hope that all of these custom-tailored features will draw more people into competitive gaming. Just like with Wager Matches, if the League Play system works and is enjoyable, people will make that choice for themselves.

nicedrewishfela

Well put. Its all part of the marketing strategy put forth by the company. For BO the wager matches had never been seen before in CoD, so they used that as a focal point for their reveal.

This year, they decided to make the CodCasting feature the focal point. Understandable, its not something that has been attempted before on console (that I am aware of) and is kind of a neat feature. But the other focal point this year was on the Pick 10 Create a Class system, which I think is a revolutionary idea when you consider how stale CoD had gotten in that area.

They purposefully hold back on information just to promote conversation and build suspense. Expect several "leaks" over the next few months, then full blown coverage in the week leading up to the release.

I agree, they overdid it with the Pro Player stuff, but I liked watching the game in action. Would have been more useful to me to see the CodCasting features once, then use the gameplay itself to explain what we were seeing and how it worked. To show us how the class setup works, and to highlight the various streaks and perks.

otisman666

ill-lll wrote:

The true "MP Reveal" is what will be important.

I think that was it, wasn't it?  Does anyone think they are going to run another event similar to what went down the previous two years?

nicedrewishfela

Naw, they have never run an event in which they gave up all the info. This was the MP reveal, but it was kind of like the part of the show where the stripper sticks her leg out from behind the curtain and gives you a glimpse... then keeps all the good stuff covered up... until you give up the money and get your private show

They always tease us like this.

Couldn't have written this better myself. I have gotten so bored of just TDM and FFA and all the other game modes we've had for years, I completely skipped MW3 because there was no combat training or wager matches or zombies (the survival mode is just a lesser version of zombies). I hardly even played anything other than wager matches, zombies, or local 4 player splitscreen with bots in BO. But after all the new things they've put into BO2, I may actually spend quite a bit of time in regular old MP this time around, plus all those other things. They did focus a bit too much on codcasting and all that crap, I'm kind of sick of hearing it at this point, but it is cool, and I may dabble in it a bit. If nothing else, it'd be fun to go back in theatre mode and narrate how you owned your buddy and then send it to him to enjoy. lol. I do agree there won't be many new details if any to come out the rest of gamescon, they've shown us what they wanted to show us, but there will be other reveals, as Vahn hinted at, we still haven't heard about the emblem editor (not to mention wager matches, combat training, or zombies, or even Elite 2.0). I honestly don't even look at posts that say "BO2 is RUINED because of blah blah blah", how the F&$# would any of them know? They haven't even played 1 minute of it yet, just cuz you saw some gameplay doesn't mean you know what it's like or what it's going to be like to play. All I know is I'm looking forward to call of duty again, I really needed the year off (so thanks for that at least MW3)

an excellent read , play what they give us and adapt , no good dreaming and wishing your life away.

The only letdown I had was not hearing anything about HC. They didnt even mention it, which is disappointing, but not surprising. I'm really looking forward to the new loadouts, finally being able to switch out equipment I never user in favor of perks/attachments is great. None of the perk changes bother me, none of the attachments trouble me, the killstreaks..eh I could have done without the RCC but oh well, Flak Jacket. And having universal killstreaks is a bad idea, I thought for sure they would have taken that from MW3.

Of the footage they showed, I wish the pros would have used their killstreaks more, but I understand they want to win their...meaningless...games...in...Alpha.  Ok maybe I don't understand. Looking forward to hearing about more game modes, and whats going to be available in HC. Until then we can continue to laugh at the whiners.

blb128

Very good post OP. When you are #1 people love to hate you. COD has been the #1 FPS for many years now. Players cried because COD didnt change much in MW3. Treyarch is once again setting the bar high in BLOPS2 and changing things once again and yet players still cry. Kids these days want everything but dont want to put the work in.

nicedrewishfela

Thank you, blb.

I kind of find it amusing that people make a choice to bash games they don't like. I tried Halo, didn't like it, but I don't have to sit here and bash it as I know people do enjoy it, and hey, more power to them. I played BF3, thought it was OK, but prefer CoD. Not sure why people have to choose sides and argue over it. Play what you like, like what you play.

Even worse are the haters... who play the game. They play, they put days into it, but they have nothing but negative things to say. Sure, there are legitmiate complaints, but whining gets us nowhere... constructive discussion does. I sometimes wonder if people complain just to make themselves feel superior or to incite arguments for their own pleasure.

Your last point is spot on. we live in this "Everyone gets a trophy" culture where people want things handed to them. I personally think part of the joy of gaming is working to accomplish something and accepting a challenge, rather than staying in my comfort zone all the time.

Any word on harden or prestige editions?