42 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 5:02 PM by Snotnose RSS

Patch 1.19 finally did it, no more lag issues, thanks IW !

t-fibby

I was eager to download and test the latest patch, and was happy to notice that i no longer get screwed over by lag compensation. My shots actually register and i don't have to unload half or full clips from an AR to get a kill, and if i die i can clearly see from the killcams that 99% of the time my opoonent was not ahead of me. There very few games that had lag was against people with a 2bar connection, and that was manageable (it's 3:30 AM here so it's not uncommon to be matched across the world at this hour).

I played about 4 to 5 HRS and it was a smooth experience, i actually had fun with MW3 without any frustration (i don't mind being out played by better players, but lag makes me rage). We had a party of 3, i have a 100down/5up connection via cable, one friend has 24down/2up via DSL and the third has a shitty mobile hot spot with 3down/1up... But we all got good quality connections with no lag which didn't never happen before the patch when partied up. Also played solo, and had good connections also then.

Even though this should' ve happened months ago, i still say thank you IW ! Hopefully this situation lasts and the lag comp is not tweaked the wrong way again. Now i have a game i can enjoy prior to BO2 and would feel comfortable coming back also. Time to level up my shotties and snipers (it was impossible to get OSK before), or maybe some sleep first :)

• Re: Patch 1.19 finally did it, no more lag issues, thanks IW !
    Jackal235

I don't think, they even touched the lag issue.

It's probably only about support for terminal.

I had a few good games myself, then it went back to normal crap as before.

Don't fool yourself with the idea, that this game will ever be fixed

deadimpact

My experience has been the opposite. Today I can't connect to games anywhere near my location and has made the whole thing unplayable for me.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't patch any of the lag issues. You probably had host while you were playing. And I was watching the MW3/CoD XP thing they had last year and just listening to what they were saying about MW3 and how they fixed spawns and lag is just total BS.

SnipinDB

If he had host he wouldn't be so happy. Or did they magically fix hosting too?

I have had good night too, this game will never be constant though as the matchmaking also do to multiple dlcs sucks and hosting & lag / lag comp is far from ideal. So people will keep on messing with their settings..

t-fibby

Yes they did, see the link to patch notes above in my previous post.

I'm pretty sure i was not hosting, then the game is indeed unplayable. And I know it's a miniscule percentage of the total players but two of my friends also had a similar experience while using very different connections. I can see that it's impossible to set the lag comp so that everyone will be happy, especially with the populus being divided into so many playlists due to DLC / Elite, and various game modes, which affects matchmaking.

I am not referring to you, but I kinda thought that these forums would also be filled with people complaining after the latest patch because they either have a shitty connection or have made their connection worse intentionally, and no longer get easy lag kills (or possibly were ignorant enough to think they are actually good and now blame lag when the advantage is gone).

We'll have to see how consistent it is, i agree it's impossible to have lag free matches all the time, the occasional bad lobby has come along in every CoD game I've ever played online (CoD4, WaW, MW2, BO, and especially MW3 which used to have only laggy matches).

tedge

No improvement on my side. Got into a room with a bunch of Germans, that was great fun. If I play by myself the connection is tolerable, it's when I play with a party that it goes to fecal matter.

t-fibby

Yeah i used to have bad connections solo, and horrible ones in a party. The latest patch luckily fixed this, though i did notice a slightly increased difficulty in trying to find decent games tonight when partied up. We actually had to back out a few times but still it's much better than before, and usually we got good connections. So i might have to take my OP partly back, there still are (and will be) lag issues like there is in every CoD game. But still the game is now playable, and even at it's worse the lag is usually manageable, when considering a few things we can now get good games (and of course flying solo also)..

The things that i've noticed to affect the quality are:

- time of day (during late evening / night in my region i used to get horrible connections because the majority of players online is far away, now it seems ok but still slighty easier to get good lobbies during the day obviously)

- lobby ping (50ms or 75ms are okay, anything above will have some lag for some players even after patch 1.19, sometimes you have to restart the search a few times to avoid >75ms ping games). If you cant get low ping lobbies it could be your connection that should be blamed, or the game. This a thing that got screwed up at somepoint, only got into high lobbies in MW3 (this was solved in some patch before 1.19 for me) but low ones in older titles, and still occasionally i have to try a few times in MW3 to get into the low ping ones although in other CoD titles i get into them straight away.

- Clan Ops (if you don't want to compete in the op stay away from the game type that has the event going on). For example yesterday was Hardcore KC, it's kinda hard to notice the lag without the killcams but i'm sure there was some, so i only played a few games for the bronze xp and then moved to core. Tonight it was core KC, and again it was hard to find good lobbies, so we played a little and then did some groundwar which was much better. During clan events there are full parties connecting all round the world which might make matchmaking more difficult, and also then we also have more of those guys using cheap methods like running torrents or otherwise intentionally making their connection worse... I made up a "clan" with a few buddies like many did for MW3, but it really seems that since now we have elite and clan management there, the amount of people who will do anything to KD camp together better has increased.

All in all, yesterday i was extremely happy with the update, and still am, but there are a few things you have to consider if you want to play. It would be nice if it worked straight away 100% free of lag, but unfortunately with this game you have put in some effort even if the patch made it a lot better, and i do mean a lot.

mikekenvir210

exact same way here. I'll never buy another IW game. they lied about this one, remember them saying F-U final stand and then its in the game and a final stand mini nuke. IW has lost at least %50 of game sales because of this rip off game.

All in all the last few patches for MW3 seem to have made the game run pretty smooth for me.  No complaints here.

ots_dj3nvy

Lol lucky you! Finally played a match since this new patch and **** . I'm lagging so bad it makes if feel like I'm running it quick sand, seeing players on both teams skip around the map and everyone in the lobby has 3-4 bars. And this is te experience im getting when using SMGs and Assault rifles.Don't know what's going on at IW on whether they check their patches on LAN or through P2P.

whatever dude. what are you smokin? this is the worst update in the history of this game ever.  all this update seems to be doing is screwing those of us with really good connections and making it playable for those with crappy connections.

tedge

1.18 was the worst for me. It locked up my PS3 during the install, and when I restarted I found that ALL of my DLC had been erased. Good times.

t-fibby

Okay so a 100mb down / 5mb up connection that usually get 2-3ms pings in speed tests is a crap connection ? Whatever dude. Maybe you need to check your own connection instead of making such assumptions, open your ports etc. and maybe then you won't have any issues either.

If you indeed have a good connection and your PS3/router are configured out the right way, then all i can say i feel your pain.. I got more and more lag up until 1.18 with every patch, and now finally with 1.19 i get little or no lag issues.

t-fibby wrote:

Okay so a 100mb down / 5mb up connection that usually get 2-3ms pings in speed tests is a crap connection ? Whatever dude. Maybe you need to check your own connection instead of making such assumptions, open your ports etc. and maybe then you won't have any issues either.

If you indeed have a good connection and your PS3/router are configured out the right way, then all i can say i feel your pain.. I got more and more lag up until 1.18 with every patch, and now finally with 1.19 i get little or no lag issues.

Is that on Virgin Media? Oddly everyone i know on Virgin Media has not now and indeed never has had problems with lag compensation. However people on FTTC products seems to get absolutely battered by lag compensation. I wonder if VM handle P2P in a different way, my connection is 75Mbit down, 17.5Mbit up with 5ms pings to local servers and as host it is typically unplayable and yes my router and PS3 are set up correctly.

gigitygigity

Generally it's been worse for me since the update. But then it's got slightly worse with every update anyway, so no great surprise.

Glad someone is benifiting from my misfortune

vims1990

In defense of the OP, the patch could have positively impacted his connection whilst for others could have done nothing or gone worse.

Practically, you can't really balance out the connection for everyone. Every patch the developers bring out will either improve, not change or go worse for each player.

From my experience, hosting was so much worse for me when the game launched. I didn't touch MW3 multiplayer for a month or two until IW released patches that seemed to have some positive impact on my connection as host.

Now this may not be the case for someone else but again, there's not going to be that magical patch that everyone will benefit from.

phxs72

Sunday pretty much all day was lag fest but Monday evening you would have thought that I was superman.  It was sure nice to be on the good side of lag for a change.  I'm not expecting that it's going to last but I was finally getting some 50 - 75 ping lobbies again.

wridtrvlr

Wow t-fibby, you must be playing a different game then me.  I took a break over this weekend, so I was anxious to see what the game would play like yesterday when I got online.  DL'd the new patches, 2 released since I stopped playing Thursday and Terminal and got online.  Hooked up with some buddies online and......lagfest central for our first match.

After that match we backed out and found another lobby.  We ended up staying in that lobby because it was definitely a better connection, but there were still some lag spikes in the game play. 

My conclusion is that they are edging towards a proper fix, but nothing is 100% fixed for me atm.  I have yet to play SOLO, so that could change my opinion, but this game has always played fine for me SOLO, it's when I party up that it becomes hit or miss. 

t-fibby

On Friday when i made the OP i had perfect connections, the day(s) after that it took a little work to find good lobbies but generally i had little or no lag.. And now since more people are on 1.19 while playing yesterday there was the occasional laggy match that occured every now and then, but usually it was only a few guys either on 2bar or split screeners that i couldn't kill. Having a party seems to make the situation somewhat inconsistent with more difficulties getting into 50ms lobbies and more frequent laggy matches, playing solo is always better in terms of connectivity, maybe it's nearly impossible to perfectly match a party since the party itself is a "forced match" that the game itself might not carry out (different connections within the party).

wridtrvlr

I actually had some good games yesterday.  Partied up with 5 of my buddies and only 2-3 of our games, in a 4-5 hour gaming session, were almost unplayable for us.  We only had to back out of a game once b/c of lag which is a change.  Maybe they truly are trying to fix things, it's just so broken that it's going to take several more of these fixes to officially be fixed.

I still have yet to play SOLO after the new patches and am very curious to try it out, but every time I get online someone wants to party up.

t-fibby

Yes it finally looks like they are taking steps to the right direction, i agree it still could be better (more consistant lag free matches and disadvantaging the 1-2bar players and split screeners). I know many people are saying this patch made it worse on the forums, but there is also the ones like you and me who seem to finally have a better situation with the lag. There's only 8 people that i play often with and all of us are never online at the same time so our party varies in terms of connections and location, but all of us are also reporting a better connection and very little or no lag, but partying up does seem to make the occasional laggy matches pop up a bit more often than playing solo. Give it a try :)

dedicatedserversplease

Would love to see your speedtest.

dedicatedserversplease

I just wanted to see your location and how far the server was for 2ms ping.  That is incredible.  The lowest I can get is 8ms ping and that is with a DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola 6121 modem and an ASUS RT N66U router which costs 200 bucks.  Just curious is all.  You can just post a link to the speedtest by clicking on share link when the results pop up then go to past it here and it should either work or ask you to click on insert link.

Out

I dont see any changes in the lag...........its good some games its bad in others,  I have had a harder time finding lobbys with a ping of 75 or lower, even tho my connection averages 18ms and my spped is 30 up and 5 down

opb81

I am lagging worse now. With 1.19 I have not had a decent lag free game at all. My KDR is down about .8 from what it was for the first part of Aug prior to 1.19 being released. Actually the 2 weeks before 1.19 came out was the best the game had ever played for me.

mecstevieo

you must work for ACTIVISION since the last patch they have managed to reduce online users from 8.5 mil back to the regular 3.5 mil ... because their servers were overloaded cause lag stutter  the easy way to reduce the numbers was to re introduce lag comp which p*ssed off off all the good connections JD . everybody during the summer break has bought into elite and the new maps and ACTIVISION should have used this money to upgrade their servers , but didnt they chose to give it to their SHAREHOLDERS. THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY HONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mecstevieo

i feel sorry for infinityward for creating the greatest masterpiece of a game ever only to sell their soul to   ACTIVISION

stokoe1011

well sorry to say my freind but it is not fixed at all after all this time the best way to tell is go prone or crouch wait for enemy to come around corner then you die but according to what they saw you were just about to crouch then you can clearley see how far behind you are and your like wtf that did not happen or when you have a 1 on 1 and you know you clearly shot first but no not on his screen you did'nt even lift your gun mw3 and lag ops 2 are garbage and will now start to die

Gdwookie

Yeap, the game is still a lagged out piece of ****!  The creators are morons, the people who bug fix are ******* idiots and activision is a greedy do nothing piece of **** company. Anybody who buys any of their future games deserves what they get.

Snotnose

Dang, here I thought there was a patch but it turns out to be a reply to a year old message.  sigh.

I try to play 3-4 games every week or so, usually rage quit a minute into each match due to the lag.  Seems to be worse than ever nowdays, it's like IW doesn't even pretend to try anymore.

Not to mention the cheaters that are becoming more and more common.  Most provable are wall-hacks (snipers zoomed in on you 3 walls away as you climb stairs, head down a hallway, and blow your head off soon as you reach a window; and seems like I just can't hit certain people.  People who end up with 40-50 kills in the game with 1-2 deaths).