1 2 3 4 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 5:25 PM by nicka_denton Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

I wonder if they knew how good the game would be.

• 11. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    zvers

Ahhhh, the good old days of the NES! Except, no memory cards, blowing out the dust from the cartridge to make it work right, Game gene etc! Great memories and to hear that the average gamer is that old, makes me feel better that I am still playing at 28. I look at it this way: My grandparents played chess and bridge all the time and man did they take it seriously! Instead of card and board games, we use tech now to get the same mental challenge. If you are a person that has the same mentality, I can understand why all the kids scream 'cheater'. They simply don't think about all the possibilities during the game and they don't adjust to the ever changing fight. Hence, they get owned all the time. Great discussion!

• 12. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    ots_dj3nvy

Apology accepted lol

• 13. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    zvers

"My old TV when I was a kid must have had a 10 inch screen and an 80 inch box around it....LOL.."

It definitely was a piece of furniture, no doubt!

• 14. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up

Well, I'm probably dating myself, because I remember taking my Atari console to my college dorm back in the seventies.  Playing bi-plane war, missile command and space invaders with my roommate late at night.  Naturally I progressed to NES, SNES, Playstation, PS2, Wii, and now to the PS3.  I'm now in my mid-fifties, and I am a grandpa.

• 15. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

My grandparents played chess

Hey I play chess, great game (no hacks, cheats, exploits, glitches) if facing someone over the board.

They simply don't think about all the possibilities during the game and they don't adjust to the ever changing fight. Hence, they get owned all the time. Great discussion!

Yes, its hard to anticipate moves but being one step ahead of others is optimal. Thanks.

• 16. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    phxs72

I don't think anybody could have known but it was fantastic and like I said still stands the test of time even today despite the graphics no longer being state of the art.  Quality like that is hard to find.

• 17. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    sennalike

"We are all gamers, just enjoy what the game has to offer,"

Couldn't agree more.

My gaming life began with pong (youngsters will need to look that up!).  Moved on to spending hours copying very basic programs from a magazine into my ZX81 (again, look it up) only to get a syntax error and no actual game to play.  Then came the Spectrum and Atari and gaming really began.  I'm now 43 and will be playing games until the day I die or become physically incapable.

I think a lot of complaining done today is because expectations are actually a lot higher than the reality of what can be delivered.  All I can say is what you do have now is a far cry from what I had as a kid.  When I think back to what my own parents told me about them getting a satsuma and a brazil nut for Christmas, through to what I got and what kids get now, it makes me wonder what kids will be getting and playing in 20/30 years time.  My best guess is some form of virtual reality gaming system where you stick on a pair of glasses and are instantly at war!

• 18. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    just_lamb

Today its Xbox360 Vs PS3.....I remember the good old days of ATARI ST Vs AMIGA. i chose the atari.  Brilliant games machine and it also had Midi ports for connecting to my keyboards.  happy days

• 19. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

I think a lot of complaining done today is because expectations are actually a lot higher than the reality of what can be delivered.

Yes, there is no limit to what these games can do when compared to games from the past. Yet they want more, they are sold that the game will be better, different and it wont.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next