1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 5:25 PM by nicka_denton Go to original post RSS
  • 20. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    belgarion123

All I can add is comadore 64(still have) and I am 36. Gaming all my life. These kids don't know what it means to be a gamer. No difficulty settings, no plot, no ending just the continous need to shoot that last alien to get the next level and beat my high score.There was no way to boost, it was all hands, eyes and reflex. Also no 10yr old calling you a *** while parents are not around over the internet. If I wanted to have interaction with friends we went outside did things. Not sit on our asses at seperate houses online.

• 21. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    ghamorra

Excellent thread, easily a favorite thus far

Izjar11 wrote:

But it seems that our younger generation of gamers are way to demanding, overly critical and simply annoying. This is not an attack on all younger gamers just those who truly can't tell the difference when someone tells them yes and no.

As time goes on game will be ever more complex and require high level of mental aptitude that, according to psychologist, 13% of the gaming community hasn't developed yet. I think that's why CoD has turned into the game that it is today. Since Call of Duty is a favorite amongst this 13%, we have a strong presence of children who haven't fully developed their cognitive dissonance

• 22. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    jwaller123

Couldn't agree more!! 36 years old and have been playing games since the Atari. I love COD for the pace of the game. I have never been one for games that a long time. (I.E. Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc...) There has to be an end result quickly.

The younger generation just wants things. They don't know how to just live with the way things are. It has been mentioned already, but give them and Atari or an original NES and they wouldn't know what to do. If there was a flaw in the game..it stayed that way. No internet to patch it or hotfix it. If a gun was OP then that's what everyone used and there was no complaining about it. Games were much more simplistic compared to todays games.

Take minecraft for instance. While still complex in ways (having to mine minerals to make other minerals that make other things, etc...) it is still pretty simple. The pixel aspect reminds me of the games of yesteryear. I kind of find it funny that this game is such a huge hit with games out like COD, BF3, Gears of War, etc...I enjoy playing Minecraft from time to time. I just sit back and build what I want where I want at the pace I see fit. (i play single player creative only...No online for me Lol...to many rules on others servers)

All right...enough rambling from me. All in all I thought you made a very good thread. It was good reading and I am glad to see something a bit different then the standard "this is OP" "that is OP" threads.

• 23. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

Take minecraft for instance. While still complex in ways (having to mine minerals to make other minerals that make other things, etc...) it is still pretty simple. The pixel aspect reminds me of the games of yesteryear.

Yes, I have a nephew who plays this and he loves it. It looks very simple, nothign flashy, boxy graphics yet he can spend hours playing. Yet many who play this game complain on the most mudane things. Its strange, as a gamer one can only play the game and either like it or not.

• 24. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up

No idea how long I've been gaming for. I've played on the first nintendo gamboy, genesis, 64,and a few other old game consoles I can't think of at the moment along with PC. My dad will be 55 this year and is a hardcore gamer on the PC and has been for as long as I can remember. In my experience the older you get the more games you want to play.

• 25. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

In my experience the older you get the more games you want to play.

Thats good, I enjoy playing other games for awhile but these COD series are the only ones I've really taken the time to improve on. Oh and Tekken.

• 26. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    ghamorra

I agree, before I played a game until there was nothing left to achieve. Right now I'm playing 4 different games

• 27. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Justin_IRE

Great post, as I mentioned in the first post about the teen complaining about the "older" generation playing games and not "having a life" or something along those lines.

Where correct me if I am wrong, thanks to yourself, myself and a good few others.

The younger generation realised the mistake which was made and the post was quickly taken down and was never mentioned since.

I would be in the older generation, I love gaming, I don’t complain "much" as I do know it is a game and play and take part for that very reason

I agree 100% with all of your facts mentioned; I play or at least try to each day. As well as play or help my daughter play Ratchet and Clank or sim.. It is a major stress relieve for me.

• 28. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    nicka_denton

I have a great job, I have a life and great friends, and I make alright cash...but I love that when 13 year olds tell me that I'm too old to play video games when I beat them in COD - always the response I come back with which shuts them up. "Wouldn't you want to still be playing games when your 30 also?". Always brings silence....

• 29. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up

I think if it wasn't for us they wouldnt have games to play. Atari was my first. I'll play till i cant hold a controller in my hand. The kids can come and take to me when they move out of mommy and daddy house, get a job, pay taxes.