22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 1:20 PM by ms02wp RSS

Prestige Incentives.

mdm123456789

This game, as well as previous CoDs should give you more for prestiging. I mean, really? All we get is an emblem and a title and get to start over with weapons unlocks. This isn't a rant or cry thread. I was just thinking due to me comming up on another prestige. I know this game is about done with BLOPS2 fixing to hit the shelves, but maybe it'd be a good idea to have some kind of weapon line up along with prestiging.

What do you guys think?

• Re: Prestige Incentives.
    Work_Hard_Play_Hard

That is what I liked about BO's was that you had to reach 13th for the coloured clan tag, or 14th for the gold, somehow the gold on MW3 was cheap and to me somewhat meaningless.

Agreed to the both of ya's.

Although I think that the camo's should be given via headshots...I know that they can be boosted, but still. Make camo's harder to obtain.

Prestiging past 10 in this game was beyond dumb (and yes, I did it). You didn't get any cool emblem, etc. Because of that I reset my stats at 20! lol, if BOps ends up showing your furthest prestige, I'm guessing it'll show the plain jane first go.

- Goose

huntingnoluck

I just hit tenth prestige and I feel that is enough. I will still play for a little while long to get a couple of achievments but I feel that I will probably head back to BO until BO2 shows up.

ms02wp

They added the extra 10 prestiges becuase alot of people were already up to 10th prestige and they wanted to make sure that you kept playing.  The same emblem with the number over it was very lame.  I think 10 prestiges is enough.  If you want to make it a little longer, don't reset all the weapons stats every prestige.  this will let everyone work their way through the weapons and slow down everyone from getting 10K XP bonus every prestige for getting to 300, 500, 750 and 1000 kills.  I want to have all the weapons challenges done and you can't do that if they keep adding levels.

erikpemberton

The whole point of prestiging is exactly that - the prestige. If there were greater incentives, it would just encourage the terrible players to try harder to get there, which would in turn make the game suck more for everyone because everyone would be trying to maximize their XP no matter the game mode (i.e. everyone would be boosting, 24/7). For those of us who have lost DZ/Sabotage/etc. because our teammates camp out in a corner of the map and refuse to play the objective, you'll understand why I cringe at the thought of it becoming worse!

It's good that Prestige 20 doesn't actually mean anything, because then the players who get there are more likely to be the dedicated, serious gamers who are willing to devote time & energy just to earn bragging rights vs. people who are trying to earn the Mega ACR 9000 (with missile launcher attachment) so they can have some ridiculous advantage to compensate for their lack of actual skill.

I think the current system of unlocking guns and such while leveling up within a Prestige is ideal. I don't get bored of earning the same things over and over each time I Prestige - in fact, I relish the chance to try and outdo what I did before. I also think it's pretty cool the way it's structured because it forces me to make do with what I've got - using the USAS or KSG until I can finally unlock the Striker, or something like that. It challenges me to get outside of my comfort zone and become a better player, rather than just rely on my gear to cover up my weaknesses.

mdm123456789

Your intire first paragraph people do all that anyway. And for you to say it would just make bad players try harder is stupid. Not everyone was born with a controller in hand and a sheltered life of video gamming.

erikpemberton...

Not sure if you realized this, but you basically trash talked people who have a lot of time to play and admitted to having the ability yourself in your whole post.

You also made an example of a "try hard" and admitted to being one yourself.

Lastly (pun intended) - In your last paragraph you talk about how you think the current system of unlocking stuff is ideal, and at the end go on to say you're challenged to become a better player rather than rely on gear to cover up your weaknesses...

Just...WOW! HA

- Goose

erikpemberton

I fail to see how I trash talked people who have a lot of time to play. My whole point revolved around intent, not skill. I also fail to see how I'm a "try hard" because I like to improve my skill and take myself out of my comfort zone.

It's easy to unlock your (insert weapon of choice here) at your first Prestige and call it a day. Plenty of people do that. But what's more interesting to me as a player is having to learn different playstyles and strategies. I love my ACR, MP7, Type 95 and RPG just as much as anyone else, but I still unlocked extra custom classes with my first Prestige tokens, rather than these weapons. So since I wasn't unlocking these, I had to learn how to use the M4A1, M16A4, MP5, etc. until I reached the right level to unlock them again. It's made me a more versatile player and allows me to do things like pick up any gun dropped by an enemy and continue playing well with it after I've run out of ammo on my primary/secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone's legit playstyles, but what bothers me with the current setup are people who are looking to game the system vs. play to win. As far as I'm concerned, the real "try hard" players do crap like this:

I think if you could only unlock the MP7 (or insert another popular weapon here) via Prestiging, you'd see a lot more of this kind of thing. Not camping, not the other legit (but frustrating) playstyles people often ***** about, but flat out boosting with the sole purpose of maximizing XP. When you're on a team that's struggling to play the objective, these are the kinds of players that can completely tank things for you, regardless of your team's skill or communication.

rlbl

Not sure what the right answer is, but I like the idea (in principal) of having incentives for prestiges.

If you do not wish to prestige, fine... don't.

But if you want the extra unlocks: attachments, camos, emblems, tags, whatever... the only way to get them is to prestige.

I liked BO for that; I would love to see it again (but even more stuff)

Example: Imagine that at each prestige, a new camo is unlocked that you can only get when you hit level 55. If you want the next camo you have to prestige and get to level 55. etc... Something like that anyways...

mdm123456789

Your reply is perfect "rlbl". Incentives like that. Maybe even hard to obtain weapons other then what we already have, things of that nature. Instead of adding more prestiges, they should've added a few more weapons, maybe old school CoD weapons.

I know it says this is my first post, but I read this forum religiously, I have posted on here once before, but I forgot my login info and had to make a new account....anyway! This topic has been on my mind since Black ops came out. Black ops was my first cod and it hooked me. I do like MW3 better, but it might be that I'm getting a little bit better at the game in general. The prestige option on black ops seemed to be more meaningful because of the gold gun at 14 aspect. I decided not to prestige in MW3 and instead go for all gold guns! I have to admit that it has made me a better player, just for the simple fact that I change to a new gun as soon as I get the gold cammo. As of right now I have all the assault rifles gold, all the sub machine guns gold, and one light machine gun gold. I'm working on the rest of the lmg's and the shot guns (shot guns are my favorite sofar...sooo fun)! the funny thing is that I have all these gold guns and I have maybe played with one of them in the gold ten times or so! I'd like to know if anyone likes(or hates) my idea for prestiging! What if they made the gold gun the basis for prestiging? ie once a player gets all the attachment challenges done and maximum efficiency done on two (or possibly three) weapons completed aswell as the gold cammos for those weapons acquired, they prestige!! they only way to get another prestige would be to try some new weapons. if this was the case, which weapon would be the the most feared at gold, and what prestige would you dare to go to? (sorry about the extra long paragraph and any grammatical errors in advance, for some reason it won't let me skip a line and I know there are some people on here that are quite sensitive about errors of that sort)  Great topic! Regards - MaxDaddy

ghamorra

I don't think it should go overboard, like unlocking new weapons and stuff like that. Prestige incentives should only unlock pretty stuff like camos and emblems/titles.

I also think there should be more incentive for completely challenges such as unlocking extra classes for level 31-ing so many weapons, unlocking a super awesome camo for completing all weapon challenges, and earning special gear for doing something almost completely impossible like getting all weapons gold and completing all weapons challenge

That way people are driven to be more well rounded and you can actually respect a player for completing something

erikpemberton

Exactly! That's what I was trying to get at - being more well rounded > playing your ACR/MP7/whatever over and over ad nauseum.

BanHaMMer

Agreed rlbl, I stopped at 12 th Prestige level 80. I felt there was NO incentive to go on, even when my clan finally hit level 40 not many of us Prestiged either, even after the 8 hours of Double XP you get free for hitting level 40.

stevonub420

If you have 8 hours of xp then why wouldn't you Prestige again? That's the only reason i'm still Prestiging,since my clan will have the extra dbl xp coming in. Too me it gives me a bad feeling when I get 20k+xp on a single map and i'm at level 80.Too each their own i guess.

BanHaMMer

I think we over killed our time played on MW3, average 600 hours. The game got like, "here we go again" now I am just concentrating on how many guns I can get Gold before BLOP's 2.

You really did get no recognition once you passed 10 Prestige. No titles, no symbols, no incentives. I liked the 12th Prestige symbol, the others do nothing for me. There really all the same at a glance.

undzis

i agree with ban hammer here.  I didn't go past 10th because there was no reason to,  No emblem, no title no nothing.  I have all unlockables at this point and my clan is sitting on 14hrs of dbl xp waiting to be distributed (waiting on word if the dbl xp will carry over to bo2). So what's the point in prestiging?

BanHaMMer

undzis: that's an interesting thought about BLOPS2. Did you get the 16 hours for reaching Clan level 50?

I might just bring this up with my Co-Leaders, it would be great if "Elite registered Clans" could carry over there Double XP to BLOPs2 .

I will defo chase this one up

I stopped at 15th since I hit it quite early. I waited a long time for the other 5 prestiges to come out but by the time they did, I already had like 10 gold guns and said screw it to prestiging. But, there's not a whole lot to get from prestiging other then getting a higher prestige level. The tokens are nice but there's really nothing else to gain from prestiging IMO. As of now, I'm just screwing around with knifing people and trolling as much as possible until BLOPS 2 drops.

What I hated about prestiging in MW3 was that you didn't get the extra class and had to use your token for it. I liked it when you would get the extra custom class after each prestige. I was disappointed that the basically put no effort into the emblems but what really got me was the no custom class.