1 2 3 4 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM by ghamorra Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    Eye_Gore

It makes no difference. BF3 plays the same as MW3, atleast for me. As for a pay to play. I sure wouldn't do it. To play keep playing the same game over and over again. Forgive me ignorance but with WoW doesn't it offer up alot of variety in gameplay, and what you do, like any RPG? As FPS games really have no variety, its kill or be killed, by the same guns and weapons that have been in the game for years.

• 11. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    BanHaMMer

mmmmm... as "G" knows I am an advocate of Dedicated Servers. 1 hour a week for maintenance is not to much to ask the community to accept. Especially when they know what time and what day of the week the servers go down for maintenance. Everybody just orders there take out, races down to the shop or just does the laundry cause they know its coming.

Yes, cost does play a huge role. But the up side far out ways the down side, in-game MODs, no lag switching possible, NO Boosting, instantly kicked from a game by an ingame MOD for cheating. Most of the Complaints on these Forums would disappear over night.

If you are going to be the biggest, wealthiest and the best with a game a year, then you really have to look at supporting those games infrastructure on an ongoing basis. Just the hate from some poor bugger being dumped into a lobby half way across the world then being slammed that its his/her fault "we are" all lagging is worth it.

The early adopters of Dedicated Servers have an incredibly strong base/population. Not all charge to use there servers, INSOMNIAC, Zipper, GG, Bethesda, Splash Damage and the list goes on. I missed playing BLOPs all together because KILLZONE3 came out. I did 300 hours beta testing with Sony, then over 1000 hours of game time when the game was released. It was that good and still is. I then picked up MW3, talk about chalk and stale cheese. My Clan adopted that as our next primary game, next thing half of us could no longer play with each other

COD is a world wide phenomenon, not just North American. As I said to "G" in another post. I can still get a full Ranked game of RESISTANCE FALL OF MAN 7 years later lag free because it puts people in the same place at the same time Lag Free. It brings the population together more quickly, so your never sitting there waiting for a decent game on end.

RESISTANCE 2 COOP the most popular COOP mode ever created, still going strong with incredibly intelligent AI. Its almost scary

M.A.G. after some difficult beta testing server loads. They were able to pull 180 players into 1 large MP game at a time or as less as 40 depending on game mode. Yes M.A.G. was a huge Team Objective game where communication was essential and weapons worked similar to real life. ie: A Sniper had to go prone and displace a Bi Pod to use it. But the game coped, even with ingame vehicles etc.

Dedicated Servers also allow for a huge scope of charector and game customisation, down to picking your own squad frequency ingame etc.

• 12. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

BanHaMMer wrote:

COD is a world wide phenomenon, not just North American

This is why it would be so hard. So many people play the game that the Dedicated Server system would need to top on line and located all over the globe. Too many people play in North America, South America, Europe, Japan, and Australia to just place some mid grade servers in random locations

Yes, the benefits would be incredible. And yes, I'm pro dedicated servers. But I don't see it being practicle when I look at things from Activision perspective

One positive side I see is that they're using dedicated servers for the PC version of Black Op II. We'll see how that goes and if everything works out great I can forsee them slowly making moves across platfroms

• 13. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    undzis

i still don't understand how its so impractical.  If other smaller game titles can do it then so can CoD.  Yes the cost is less for thus titles but CoD is multi billion dollar game.   Smaller games have smaller profit margins because they sell a lot less copies.  Unlike CoD that sells a huge volume of copies and has a much higher profit margin because of the volume of game copies they sell.  How can they not afford the maintenance and such.  2 million a year for maintenance is nothing for this franchise.  I think its more of a "we want every penny for doing as least as possible, forget the rest" take on things Activision has.  Or am i still missing something here?

While i think Dedis would be great and would love to see them.  I think they, at the very least should make a system that doesn't cause so much lag and problems for the player base. i really don't understand how they can make so much money off this game and get away with not fix this problem.

• 14. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    maccabi

undzis wrote:

i still don't understand how its so impractical.  If other smaller game titles can do it then so can CoD.  Yes the cost is less for thus titles but CoD is multi billion dollar game.   Smaller games have smaller profit margins because they sell a lot less copies.  Unlike CoD that sells a huge volume of copies and has a much higher profit margin because of the volume of game copies they sell. 

Once you start scaling infrastructure to meet the demands of a playerbase the costs spiral. I dont mean to be rude but people really underestimate what it actually envolves to create a dedicated server infrastructure for say cod. It's not just a simple matter of saying well the game made x amount so they can afford it. Also its alot different running dedis for consoles than pcs for example, theres a heck of alot more problems to overcome to first off, yes it can be done and yes other games do have dedis. They also have the same listen server system cod has for low pop areas and also have methods to claw back money for example ea 's second hand game tax , homefront for example was very upfront in saying they expected alot of their server costs to be funded by the online pass charge from resold games. and if you want a good example of what happens if you let people rent servers for their gamnes just go on the BF3 forums and read/.

undzis wrote:

.  How can they not afford the maintenance and such.  2 million a year for maintenance is nothing for this franchise.  I think its more of a "we want every penny for doing as least as possible, forget the rest" take on things Activision has.  Or am i still missing something here?

While i think Dedis would be great and would love to see them.  I think they, at the very least should make a system that doesn't cause so much lag and problems for the player base. i really don't understand how they can make so much money off this game and get away with not fix this problem.

Actually if we had a proper dedicated server system for CoD it would be in the region of 4-10million a MONTH in operating costs not 2 mill a year.

Activision is a company that shock horror wants to make money, throwing 100's of millions at something that quite honestly isn't needed makes no financial sense at all which brings me too..

undzis wrote:

this is a very popular misconception, dedi's do not reduce lag. In fact the only actual benifit of deis would be no host dashboarding thats it. to make dedis cost effective in the first place you have to put as many lobbies as possible on each blade, and allocate just enough bandwidth to each session so the games run smoothly.. know what you then end up with a connection to a session that is basically the same as you have now to a player .

The difference being that connection would mostly likely be further away than you would have had on the current listen server system as i explained earlier you have to place server farms in locations that service the most people. (between 500-1000km apart).

The irony is, alot of people who harp on about deids also cite stuff like "lag comp" and usually follow that with but mw2 ran flawlessly .. ok if thats the case and mw2 ran so amazeballs (on the current listen server system) why on earth do we need dedis?

Last point every year, home broadband bandwidth increases, our antiquated 10 yr old hardware is about to be upgraded when the next gen of consoles hits late next year..this diminishing the need for dedis even more.

• 15. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    monkeylord

If the party host has a nat of moderate what if any effect does this have on a round? I know this is off topic but I gotta a feeling this kind of thread will attract people who have a more technical leaning than myself which extends to green light good yellow light bad.

• 16. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    wridtrvlr

Good post sir!!  I've always been interested in that info. just too lazy to look it up.

• 17. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

The host of the party would determine what server is going to be played on, if that's what you're asking

• 18. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    BanHaMMer

I hope so "G" even they rolled them out on other consoles over 2 years or so, it would make The COD Franchise 99% the best MP OUT THERE.

• 19. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

Bump per BanHaMMer

1 2 3 4 Previous Next