1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM by ghamorra Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

MW2's host advantage was pretty nuts, but I'd rather one player have a slight advantage over a leveled playing field than 12 people running in different space time continuums

• 61. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    thebigb82

COD4 is what brought this game to the masses, it was balanced, perfect in every way, if anyone disagrees to bad

• 62. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

I played CoD 4 from it's launch, sadly that was so long ago though I vaguely remember it. I must say I did like the balance in the game. The perks were mostly subtle, the killstreaks were pretty dull but helpful, and the gun on gun fighting was the focus. No extra fluff holding the game back

• 63. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    Thembones

too bad IW doesnt care about COD4 their are many people who want to still play it but cant becuase its ruined by hackers. Like i wanted to prestige legit but 2 matches later im in a hacked exp lobby

• 64. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

You can't support every game forever, the resources each game takes is outragous. Once the game falls below a certain level of popularity you have to shut it down

• 65. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"

it nice to see im not the only one that on there side

• 66. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"

I would agree with your post about economics but I'm an old school gamer....correct me if I'm wrong but in the past with games like COD4 weren't those dedi's maintained by 3rd parties and not the game developers?  If that was true then your argument about economics being the big reason why Activision or IW are not using dedi's would be invalid.  The cost of the dedi is solely on the gamer(s) and not the developers.  I liked the use of dedi servers because that put the control of the game in the hands of the gamers. 

One other argument I also have with this whole match making system, that's all well and good for the console but for us PC gamers I want to be able to control my own server.  When MW2 came out we had the admin console program we could use because as the host of the game you litterally are the admin of the server.  And if someone is hacking I don't want them to be connected to my computer, period.  For the developers to take that away and say, we are going to put the game one our dedi servers and we will bring the banhammer down on who ever we feel is hacking, isnt good enough.  If I see someone that is legitimately hacking then I want the control to kick them and ban them from my server.  Removing that control from a PC gamer like myself and putting into the hands of someone (that may or may not exist) doesn't fly for me.  I'd rather put it in the hands of one of my clan mates.  Now people are going to cry about how they were kicked because people thought they were hacking and that happens.  Happens to my cousin on CSS all the time because he's just that good.  But if you're that good then go hang with the other CAL kids.

Ok I'll get off my soap box...

• 67. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"

I would agree with your post about economics but I'm an old school gamer....correct me if I'm wrong but in the past with games like COD4 weren't those dedi's maintained by 3rd parties and not the game developers?  If that was true then your argument about economics being the big reason why Activision or IW are not using dedi's would be invalid.  The cost of the dedi is solely on the gamer(s) and not the developers.  I liked the use of dedi servers because that put the control of the game in the hands of the gamers. 

One other argument I also have with this whole match making system, that's all well and good for the console but for us PC gamers I want to be able to control my own server.  When MW2 came out we had the admin console program we could use because as the host of the game you litterally are the admin of the server.  And if someone is hacking I don't want them to be connected to my computer, period.  For the developers to take that away and say, we are going to put the game one our dedi servers and we will bring the banhammer down on who ever we feel is hacking, isnt good enough.  If I see someone that is legitimately hacking then I want the control to kick them and ban them from my server.  Removing that control from a PC gamer like myself and putting into the hands of someone (that may or may not exist) doesn't fly for me.  I'd rather put it in the hands of one of my clan mates.  Now people are going to cry about how they were kicked because people thought they were hacking and that happens.  Happens to my cousin on CSS all the time because he's just that good.  But if you're that good then go hang with the other CAL kids.

Ok I'll get off my soap box...

• 68. Re: Dedicated Servers Explained "Warning: Wall of Text"
    ghamorra

Assuming Acitivision would foot the bill it will not be economical. If the gamers are paying for it then by all means eat the initial cost and charge a monthly fee. The problem I see with the community paying for the servers is that they will then have the rights to add rules to these servers.

As you mentioned later on some people are really good and if the owner of the server is getting beat the owner might not be mature enough to tip his hat and call it a good game. Instead they'll just kick. I play with a party that is constantly getting called out for cheating when we're really just playing better. This happens all the time. Call of Duty has one of the most pathetic group of immature children I've ever met. You hardscope, stop to reload, call in a decent Streak, get a double kill, do anything that isn't of their liking they will kick you.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next