20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 5:25 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Why are these maps so central focused?

xFANCY_KIWIx

I mean really. I feel like I'm trying to break into Fort Knox. Two perfect examples are Hardhat and Resistance. Unless you have a good team good luck trying to kick the other team out of the middle of Hardhat. Normally in CoD history if there was a "power position" that was hard to get someone out of there was a hidden secondary entrance.

• Re: Why are these maps so central focused?

There are 2 entrances in pretty much every part of these maps, if not more. The center of hardhat has 3 of them.

But sure, without a good team, it is nearly impossible to drive them off there.

IndyOldGuy

Arkaden IMHO, is one of the worst for that stuff.

On Mission I usually see people digging into the back spawns or flanks to those spawns.

Hardhat I will agree is really center orientated. Take the center and you dominate the entire map.

trialstardragon

To drive the action and increase the speed of the game play. On open and less focuses maps the game takes longer because there is no general area of combat or the area moves too often. A centrally focused map helps keep most of the action in one area most of the match. Plus if you can control that area you can control the map and have a greater chance of winning. Hardhat is a good example. control the center and you can easily control flags A & B on Dom.

adw1983

You're all forgetting about the fact that there's so much clutter everywhere that they HAVE to have obscuring buildings all over the place and limit the maps to 110x110 meter squares.

I think the maps are all clusterfucks mainly because they were forced to use lots of objects to make the maps look good.

You would've thought that the popularity of Hazard would make them realize that a lot of people want LARGE OPEN maps.

trialstardragon

Hazard is popular not because of large open spaces. It does not have a lot of those either. it is popular because of the easy to defend central area where you can camp easier in certain game modes. Black box has more open space then Hazard, Liberation has more open space than hazard.

adw1983

Looking at gameplay from Black Box, and I can't see anything but 3 open areas, each confined by buildings and walls.

Liberation is just another clusterfuck with a bit less buildings cluttering the map up.

It has the same maze-layout that ruins most of the MW3 maps for me.

trialstardragon

BO was the same, MW2 was the same. CoD has always been about mazes with multiple paths to any place on the map. WaW had it, MW had it, MW2 had it, BO had it, MW3 has it. None of them have ever really had wide open maps ever, with large open spaces where a line was drawn and defended or attacked. that is not really what CoD is about.

Wasteland.

It wasn't a flat field, and it had a giant "+" blocking view and movement across the center, with a small view blocked bunker sitting under the middle, but it certainly had large open spaces.

It was also vocally hated by some players.  But then again, probably every CoD map ever was vocally hated by some players.

Bog had stuff blocking low ground views (the exposed sniper hill, shipping crates, some vehicles), but still had a substantial section of its map as a single open area.  You could make arguments about some other maps as well, even though they have some elements to block views and movement.  CoD didn't mind mixing large open spaces with more complex building interiors on the same map.  (Derail has a lot of large open space as well as building interiors and blocking objects outside.  The trench heavy map in MW2 is iffy; while the trench was certainly a maze structure, you could also largely avoid going in the trenches if you wanted.  Etc.)

MW3 has upped the "maze factor" in maps compared to the past.  MW3 appear to funnel movement more, use more and tighter corridors, restrict height differences more (though it hides this restriction by sloping maps), and (though seemingly the opposite, it actually leads back to similar problems) simplified building interiors.

trialstardragon

Good points made by you in that post. yes MW3 is more about focused movement, that was done in response to those that hates slower game play caused by open maps. Even though there have been some the majority of CoD maps have always had mazes or centralized fighting just not as much as has been done in MW3.

MW3 does have some verticallity to it on some of the maps. so its not all horizontal maps with mazes. Downturn is a good example, but is hated because of all the clutter that blocks the cross veiw making it not good for snipers except in certain area's. I used to hate DT when sniping; but once I learned to adjust for the layout, I actually like the map when sniping. Piazza is another map that has vertical play, so does Black Box.

Wasteland may have had its two or three open area's but those were easily avoided so there was never really any firefights on that map if the player was smart about how they moved about it Most of the maps in MW3 do have at least 2 long range area's they are just not in the normal places that MW2 players were accustomed to them being in.

vims1990

MW3 maps is like an ant-hill simulator. Narrow hallways, cluttered & small maps which created terrible spawns.

Try playing Domination on Mission starting on A playing with an uncoordinated team. There's an unlikely chance you're get out of A spawn once the opposing team have C & B under control.

Another example is the spawn trap on A flag in Interchange. The horror.

yeah they should make a stage called "Level Plains" where you can see everybody all the time but way off in the distance with just one big tree in the middle to block snipers, and another stage called "Foggy Smokey Smog" where nobody can ever see anybody coming from any direction, except on radar, you just have to guess by the sounds or see where the fog lights up as they shoot. That way we could choose to play with or without all that clutter.

WolfRidge

TinyLittleTimmy wrote:

yeah they should make a stage called "Level Plains" where you can see everybody all the time but way off in the distance with just one big tree in the middle to block snipers, and another stage called "Foggy Smokey Smog" where nobody can ever see anybody coming from any direction, except on radar, you just have to guess by the sounds or see where the fog lights up as they shoot. That way we could choose to play with or without all that clutter.

Nearly choked on my beer, "Foggy Smokey Smog"

Seriously though, it's not the maps! It's the people that play them, if a team tries to hold the centre ground, don't engage them there, let them come to you, reverse psych.

Problem is we are all guilty of trying to dominate the areas people have already mentioned, but it's not the map design, it's us!

adw1983

You don't need for the map to not have anything at all -- but remove 50 crates, 100 potted plants, 10 cars, 10 buildings, 10 containers, 1 underground maze and stretch the map to double it's size in at least one direction...

On such a map, you would experience firefights.
        I've not had one of those since MW2, or Black Ops on Hazard.

Situations where both players fire their weapons, but actually need to AIM to hit the other player because he's so far away that you don't auto-kill him in 0.2 seconds, but have to fire single shots.

It's not so bad on ground war, sometimes you can just circle c's around and back to get the flank, and the wonderful thing is how the spawn system works you can literally sprint around the ouside, the turn back around to find the enemies spawn right behind you looking straight to the center, you will get the flank on them all over again, I kept flanking them in that big orange leaf park with my shotgun running circles around the outside edge, I know they were pissed as they all picked assault or sniper then went prone slow scoped the center, like shooting fish in a barrel.

phxs72

Play Headquarters and you'll still have concentrated fighting but the locations will move around.  I actually find it refreshing sometimes just because you get to use more of the map.

Shrydo

Every body wants to get right in the action, so both teams will usually rush trying to get to the other team, with cause everyone to meet in the middle