6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 7:07 AM by ricobot360 RSS

Limited Button Layout Options on Xbox MW3

pnutbuttrnjam

I just bought an Xbox a few days ago along with MW3 for it. On PS3 the default button layout has L1, R1 as aim and shoot, respectively (the better layout) while on Xbox the default layout has LT, RT as aim and shoot (the much more awful layout). On PS3 you have the option to change aim and shoot to L2, R2 but on Xbox there isn't the option to change aim and shoot to LB, RB. What's the deal with this? Seems like a pretty simple thing to fix in my opinion.

• Re: Limited Button Layout Options on Xbox MW3
    slap1i

I don't know why button mapping isn't available in all games.  Why not, can't be that hard to create.

trialstardragon

It has always been this way in CoD on Xbox and doubtfully are they going to change it any time soon, so do not expect any sort of patch fixing that any time soon.

Button mapping takes extra code space, which would mean they would have to give up a feature to do this because of the ram limitations on the consoles. Sure not much code space; but probably enough that they do not feel they need to do it for the xbox.

The xbox controller is more setup around the use of the triggers for things like this in most games, same in forza where the triggers are gas and break. Most developers just go with simple layouts to save time and code space for other things most likely.

pnutbuttrnjam

"Extra code space" is a poor excuse. I bet it only takes an extra 10 or so lines. This makes MW3 for Xbox much less desirable in my opinion.

trialstardragon

Not everyone cares about having as many options about button remapping as you might. Most that play the game on the xbox probably do not even ever change it from the default let alone to tac or any other lay out because they do not need to or care too. So there is very little reason for them to add it in just to please a few players like you regardless if you think they should or not.

They do not have to give you all the same features on the xbox version that the ps3 has or vice versa, nor will they probably ever do so. So be prepared to be continually disapointed. So either except it and play on or do not play CoD on Xbox if it such a problem for you.

Plus xbox was designed around the use of the triggers, not the shoulder buttons for most games. So it is only common that the triggers perform the actions. Not IW problem if you can not get used to using them instead of the shoulder buttons because of how long you played on the ps3 instead of the xbox.

I could be wrong, but I think the control layout is set up in a different configuration than Halo to make it more difficult to switch back and forth between the two games, or between COD and another FPS.  That's why the layout for COD doesn't change...it is easier for people to come back to somethihng they are familiar with.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I have thought this for quite some time.